Status: Complete.

Uncharted Waters

Chapter Nine

Gigi sat in the overstuffed chair in the corner, watching her father and Link went over charts and maps and books. They were talking excitedly and animatedly and it pleased her to see them getting along so well. She curled her legs beneath her and ran her fingers over the cover of the journal Link had brought her. She was flattered that he'd thought of her when he saw it, and had gone out of his way to bring it it to her.

Setting the journal aside, Gigi picked up Link's book and began reading. Occasionally she would feel Link glance over at her, no doubt worrying about what she thought of it. After a while Benji stuck his head into the room.

"Oh, Link is here!" he said brightly. "Hi, Link!"

"Hello, Benji."

"What are you guys up to?" Benji sidled into the room and Gigi watched him over the top of the book, trying not to giggle. Benji inserted himself rather easily into their scholarly endeavors; quick to tell Link all about his hermit crab research.

"Gigi, that Spanish man who's always trying to serenade you when we walk past his house asked me to deliver this to you."

Madi stepped into the library, looking simultaneously exasperated and amused as she waved a bouquet of bright tropical flowers in the air.

"Poor Julio just never gives up, does he?" Gigi shook her head as Madi thrust the flowers at her. Gigi noticed one of the small yellow flowers nestled behind Madi's ear.

"Oh yes, he saw fit to put that there himself when I came to the door. Spouted some poetry in Spanish and told me to 'deliver these flowers to the beautiful Gigi with utmost haste.' I think he would have brought them to you himself but I told him Uncle Ben was here and he retreated pretty fast."

"As well he should," Ben grumbled, scowling fiercely as he looked at the flowers. "Every time we come to town. You'd think the man would have taken a hint by now."

"It's just Julio's way," Gigi said, setting the flowers aside. "He's...dramatic."

"Over the top and ludicrous," Madi corrected. She eyed Link, Benji and Ben and their scattered assortment of books and papers and rolled her eyes.

"Three peas in a weird, brainy little pod," she said before flouncing out of the room. Ben was still glaring at the bouquet as if it were offending him.

"Daddy," Gigi groaned. "Would you relax? They're just flowers."

Ben huffed and finally returned his attention to his work. Gigi resumed reading, though she kept glancing sneakily over the top to watch Link. He had his sleeves rolled up as he carefully copied a map from one of the atlases; his gaze focused and his hair tousled because every time he paused to survey his work he ran his hand through it.

"You're a pretty decent artist there, Link," Ben remarked and Link beamed.

"I think that's enough for today," Ben added and Benji turned eagerly to Link.

"You should come down to the shore with me to observe the tide pools," he said.

"I'll come too," Gigi said, without glancing up from Link's book. "In case another monkey comes onto the beach and tries to attack you and you need saving again."

"It did attack me!" Benji protested. Gigi smiled as she swiped a loose piece of paper off the desk to mark her spot in the book. She shooed the boys out of the library, Benji already jabbering excitedly about crabs and seaweed and other sea creatures. Marine biology was Benji's favorite subject.

"Are you having fun?" Gigi murmured to Link. "With my father, I mean."

"He's very knowledgable," Link said. "It would be amazing to work with him."

"He likes you, you know. I think you remind him a bit of himself when he was young. He met my mother when he was around your age. It was quite an adventure they had. I'm sure he'll tell you all about it sometime."

Benji continued to tell Link all about the local sea life for a while, until he got side tracked drawing a turtle that was lounging on the beach.

"Benji, I'm going to take Link to show him something, if you don't mind," Gigi said. Benji was deep in concentration and seemed to temporarily forget that he was trying to impress Link. He just grunted in reply. Gigi took Link's hand and led him up the beach toward the harbor.

"Where are we going?" Link asked, his ears red.

"Have you ever flown, Link?"

"Flown? No, I can't say that I have."

"Well then we're going to have to change that."

"Beg pardon?" Link looked nervous, intrigued and confused all at the same time.

"You came out here looking for adventure, so I'm taking you on one." She winked as she pulled him along the docks until she reached her parents' ship, the Silver Spirit. Link stared up at it in awe. Gigi boarded the ship, which was empty since the crew was in town. She punched some buttons on the ship's controls and lowered one of the small skiffs into the water before scrambling back down to the dock and untying it.

"What's this?" Link asked.

"You'll see. Get in."

Link gingerly climbed into the skiff as Gigi opened the sail with a snap. She worked the controls and it glided gently out into the open water.

"This is a very modern boat," Link said, leaning over the side to peer into the water.

"Oh we're jus getting started. I'd keep your arms inside for a moment though."

"Why-"

Link's question ended in a startled oomph as Gigi increased the speed. The skiff skimmed the water for a few moments before lifting into the air. Link was gripping the side of the boat for dear life, his eyes squeezed shut.

"It's a hover skiff," Gigi told him, grinning. He cracked one eye open.

"Yes, I can see that," he said. He took a tentative look over the side and paled slightly. "Aren't we a bit high up?"

He yelped as Gigi made a sharp right, the skiff tilting at a slight angle.

"Find a happy place find a happy place," Link muttered to himself over and over.

"Come on, Link," Gigi laughed. "Live a little!"

"I will, assuming this doesn't kill me." He crouched down slightly, still clutching the side of the skiff in a death grip.

"What's wrong, you don't trust my driving?" Gigi teased.

"Well I-ah!"

Gigi made the hull tilt up and the skiff shot up into the sky before evening out again. She let out a breathless whoop as the wind tugged her curls free of their bun and whipped them across her face. She kept the skiff straight but maintained breakneck speed. When she spotted what she was looking for, she nose dived slightly, making Link yelp loudly again. The skiff hit the water and Gigi finally slowed to a stop as they drew closer to shore. Link had tumbled over backwards in the landing and now lay on his back, gulping in deep breaths of air.

"Are you all right?" Gigi asked. Link sat up, adjusting his glasses.

"I'm not sure yet-Gemma, what are you doing?" Link's eyes went wide and his face turned red as a fresh beet as Gigi removed her boots and then her corset.

"Swimming is difficult when you're all cinched up," she said, hopping out of the boat and landing in the water up to her waist. "I didn't bring you out here for no reason, Link Atherton. There's something I thought you'd like to see."

"I-uh-what, exactly are you going to show me?" Link asked in a strangled voice.

"Well come on and I'll show you." She waded slowly and quietly through the water and a few moments later Link joined her. The water here was so clear that it seemed almost like liquid glass. As they drew closer to the small sand bar, it began to glow. Tiny fish flitted through it, looking like little underwater fireflies.

"Bioluminescence," Link said in wonder. "Incredible."

Some of the fish swam around Gigi's legs and she smiled as they made her glow.

"I thought a man of science such as yourself would appreciate this," Gigi murmured softly. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

She watched him as he gazed down at the fish and then glanced up at her. She cocked her head, waiting for his response. He had a slightly dumbfounded look on his face and she wondered if his ears were red again.

"Ah, yes," he said finally. "Beautiful. Yes, definitely."

Gigi splashed him lightly. "Worth the terrifying ride out here?" she teased.

"I'll get back to you on that," he said and she giggled.

"Don't worry, I promise I won't let you fall overboard," she said. She slipped beneath the water and swam back toward the boat. Link followed alongside her, trying to keep his glasses from floating away. He surfaced next to her, banging his head on the hull of the boat with a groan.

"Are you all right?" Gigi gasped, swimming forward to inspect the damage. "Be careful you don't damage that big impressive brain of yours."

"It's not that impressive," Link mumbled. "Otherwise I wouldn't have run into the boat."

"Geniuses are always doing strange things," she assured him. She brushed his hair off of his forehead gently to make sure it wasn't bleeding.

"You should be okay," she said. "Come on, you should get home and rest."

She boosted herself back into the skiff and Link climbed gingerly after her.

"I'll drive slower this time," Gigi promised him.

"Oh, I've had worse scrapes than this. You don't need to hold back on my account."

"Would you like me to show you how to drive it?"

"Really?"

Gigi smiled and gestured him over. She stood in front of him, tugging his arms around to put his hands on the controls.

"This knob adjusts the speed, and you use this lever to change directions." She kept her hands on top of his to help him maneuver the skiff. They got off to a slow and jerky start but Link started to get the hang of it even though he seemed anxious. She tilted her head back and grinned up at him.

"I think you're officially Link Atherton, Adventurer Extraordinaire," she laughed.