Never Too Late

Passed Off

Lacey's Point of View

It was a Tuesday morning and my sister Lucy and I were supposed to be at school. Instead we were stuck in a courthouse. Our father decided to sign his parental rights over to our Uncle Gerard who we barely knew. Now I knew this wasn't something my father had decided on his own. It had to do with our step mother. She had him wrapped around her little finger and he would do anything to please her. I wasn't paying attention at this point. I was just wanting to it to be over with. Within the next hour everything was finalized. Lucy and I went back to our father’s place and packed our things. I heard Lucy leave so I was stuck riding with my father over to my uncle’s place.

It was about thirty minutes or so from our father's place. I got out of my father's truck and ended up hitting my arm on the door.

"Son of a bitch!" I yelled.

My father gave me a look and I rolled my eyes. I grabbed my stuff from the back of the truck and headed inside. Gerard was talking with someone I didn't know.

"Ah, Lacey, there you are. Figured you were going to come over with your sister," he said.

"Well, she left without me so I was stuck with the douche bag," I said.

Gerard's friend held back a laugh.

"Well, okay then. Your room is the second door on the left. Lucy's in her room already," he told me.

I nodded and headed up to my room. I opened the door and looked around. It was a decent sized room. The walls were a white color which I could always paint over if I wanted to. I put my stuff down figuring I could unpack later and headed over to Lucy's room.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"Just figured I'd come over in see what your room looked like," I replied and looked around.

"Well, you've seen it; now go away," she snapped as she unpacked.

"Just because you're in a bad mood doesn't mean you have to take it out on me. He's dumping me here too, you know," I shot back.

With that I spun around and headed back to my room. I closed the door and laid on the bed. I heard the door open and I looked up. My father was standing there.

"Well, this is nice," he commented awkwardly.

"Well, it would be better if you didn't let that so-called wife of yours decide it was a great idea to get rid of us," I frowned.

"It's not forever, Lacey," he said.

"If you loved us enough, you wouldn't even let this happen. She's a bitch. Fuck Dad, you're her own personal bitch. You do everything she tells you to," I argued.

"That's enough Lacey," he warned.

"You're right, it is enough. Get out of my room now," I told him.

"Lacey, please just listen to me," he pleaded.

"I said get out, so get out!" I yelled.

I heard arguing from across the hallway. That meant Lucy was fighting with our step mother. I heard my father sigh and leave the room. I closed my eyes and tried to control myself.

"You okay?" I heard a voice say.

I looked up and saw that it was Gerard's friend.

"No, not really," I said.

"Well, I'm all ears if you want to talk," he offered.

"No offense, I don't even know you or your name. I don't even know my uncle. My father never talked about him and my mother never did either," I said.

"Well, my name is Frank, but you can call me Frankie if you want," he told me.

I heard my cell phone vibrate in my pocket. I looked at the message and got off my bed.

"Well, nice to meet you but I have somewhere to be right now," I said.

I left my room and walked down the stairs. I headed towards the door and opened it.

"Where are you going?" I heard my father ask.

"Out," I said and left.

I walked down a few blocks and saw the car I was looking for. Not like there would be any other cars on this road. I swear, my uncle lived in the middle of nowhere. I turned around to make sure Lucy hadn't followed me and got into the backseat of the car.

"I don't have much time. Lucy will be looking for me soon," I said.

"We'll be fine, I told Lucy to meet Mason and me over at Denny's in about an hour. She won't even come down this way," he said.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Of course you did."

"Shh, you're wasting precious time," he smirked.

He pulled me closer to him and connected our lips. I knew if we got caught, shit would get real but at this moment nothing else mattered. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Lucy could find out I was dating her best friend John. Not like either of us were about to go and blurt that out to her. I just wanted to forget about today and how bad it was. And John knew exactly how to do it.