Never Too Late

Accident

Lacey's Point of View

After John and I had our fight, I left. I was hoping he would've stopped me but he didn't. He didn’t say anything at all.

I said goodbye to his mom and then left. I walked to my car and unlocked it and got in. Tears were streaming down my face as I started the car and pulled away onto the road. Everything about today just sucked. Between everything with our father, getting caught by Lucy, to what John had said to me. I should've known it was too good to be true. John didn't care about me and he never would. I thought about everything as I drove; I didn't know where I was going but it didn't matter. I couldn't go back to Gerard's seeing as Lucy would be there and I didn’t want to face her just yet. But I couldn’t just let things go either. I pulled my phone out and started to text Lucy to apologize. I wasn't paying attention and I was going a little too fast, and I started to drift off the road. I tried to get control of my car but it was too late. I ended up slamming into a tree and everything went black on impact.

When I woke up I was in the hospital. I tried to move but I couldn't, and I didn’t really know what was going on. I winced from the pain I was feeling. Shortly after I woke up, the door opened and Gerard and Lucy walked in.

"Thank God, you’re all right,” Gerard said, looking like he wanted to hug me but thought better of it. “We were scared you were dead.”

"I wish I was dead,” I replied.

Lucy didn't say anything, which I was expecting. But I didn't know why she was there. Maybe she was dragged to the hospital by Gerard. Mikey came in next and we made small talk, since we’d never made it past that point. Then the door opened abruptly and my father and stepmother came in, looking pissed.

"You just got that car and you already crashed it?!" he yelled.

"Well, hello to you, too,” I said.

"Seriously, how could you do that? How could you be so irresponsible, Lacey?!" he went on.

"Hey, that’s enough,” Gerard said quietly, butting in.

The whole room got silent and we all looked at him. We’d never really known him to speak up in a family fight.

"How about you stop and be thankful that she's still here with us right now," he said, his voice sounding stronger the more that he spoke.

"Don't tell me how to parent, I've been doing just fine without your sister for a long time," my father argued.

"Well, you obviously aren’t doing as well as you think,” Gerard countered. “These girls are better off without you being in their lives right now. So how about you just leave? You’re only making things worse.”

My father didn't know what to say; no one really spoke to him like that. I heard my stepmother whisper something that I couldn’t make out and then they left. I didn't know that Gerard cared that much about us. It was a good feeling but I felt like shit thinking about what I'd already done to cause him such distress. I looked at Lucy and it was clear she was thinking the same thing. I was going to say something to thank him but then the doctor walked in. She asked everyone to leave so she could talk to me and explain my injuries. Everyone headed out without incident and the doctor sat down beside me.

"Can you tell me what you remember happening?" she asked.

"I was driving and wasn't paying attention and then I was off the road and hit a tree," I explained.

The doctor nodded. "Well, you're lucky to be here with us. You have a broken arm and your right ankle is broken as well. You'll need to stay here at least for the night so we can make sure there's nothing else wrong.”

I nodded my head and she left. I was left alone for a good while which was fine with me. I wanted space to be honest. I just wanted today to be over with. I closed my eyes and I heard the door open. I opened my eyes and saw Lucy standing there.

"Can we talk?” she asked.

I didn't know what to say so I just nodded and agreed. This could end two ways, on a good note or a bad one. I was about to find out.