Never Too Late

Time Jump

Lacey's Point of View

Having the conversation I was with Lucy was one thing, but seeing the last person I wanted to see was not about to make everything worse. I looked at Lucy and she glanced back at John.

"I might have told him you were here," Lucy said, turning back to me.

"Why?!” I demanded. “He doesn’t even care about me, he didn’t need to know!”

"Lacey, come on, can we just talk?" John begged.

"Well, I'm just gonna go see what Gerard has decided to do," Lucy decided, inching towards the door.

She left before I could beg her to stay. John stayed by the door and neither of us said anything. I wasn't about to apologize for what had happened. He was the one who went off on me about everything. John eventually came and sat next to me. He tried to grab my hand to hold but I moved it away. I heard him sigh.

"Please don't be like this," he said.

"Be like what?” I snapped. “You basically said I was nothing to you.”

"Lacey, I am sorry,” he tried to apologize. “I just didn't know what I was saying. I was mad and not thinking.”

"Well, you won't have to worry about me for the next month,” I said. “Gerard was told about my cutting issue and he's going to have me stay here for a bit to get help, I guess."

John didn't say anything. He seemed like he was trying to find the right words. He was going to say something but Lucy came back in.

"Gerard wants to sign you over to the psychiatric part of the hospital," she said, frowning.

I sighed and nodded my head, trying to accept things. Maybe it was for the best. I would be away from everyone and I could just focus on me.

"Uh, I'll give you two a few minutes before everyone else comes in," Lucy said awkwardly.

She left the room and the awkward silence took over again. John went to grab my hand again and this time I didn't stop him. He gave it a tight squeeze and then let go. For someone who said he didn't have feelings for me, he was taking this a lot harder than I thought. He stood up and kissed me on the forehead without another word; he just left the room. I was confused and didn't know how to process everything. Everyone else came in and said their goodbyes. The next morning the doctor moved me over to the psychiatric area and put me in a room by myself. They got me all settled and then let me be. It was going to be interesting being alone for a whole month…

One month later

It was finally the day I was waiting for. Being in the hospital for the month had helped more than I thought it would. I was waiting for whoever was going to pick me up to come get me. I was able to wait outside for them. It was a nice fall day. The leaves were starting to change colors and it was still warm but not too warm. Fall was probably my favorite season.

I was lost in my own thoughts when a car pulled up. I was expecting it to be Lucy to get me but I was wrong. It was a car that I thought I was never going to see again. I stood up from the bench and headed over to the car. The passenger’s door opened and I got in. I looked at the face I hadn't seen in a whole month. His hair has grown out a little bit and he had a bit of a beard going on. He had bags under his eyes like had hadn't slept in weeks. I put my hand on the side of his face and he put a hand over mine. What happened next was something I thought would never happen ever again. John leaned in and kissed me. It lasted a few minutes and then he broke it off.

"God, I've missed you," he said, his face still close to mine.

Those were words I didn't think he'd ever say to me. Emotions were taking over at this point because I ended up kissing him again. John was taken by surprise and broke the kiss. He had a half smile going on.

"Let's get out of here," he said.

I nodded my head in agreement. I was ready to be out of this place. I buckled up and John started to drive. We went back to his house and I was confused. He turned his car off and looked at me.

"We have about an two and a half hours before I have to take you home and I'm not about to waste it," he said.

He got out of the car and came over to my side and opened the door. The rest was a blur. I remember him unlocking the front door to his house and us making out, making our way to the room. He closed the door without breaking the kiss. Our clothes came off quickly and the rest was pretty obvious. We were laying there afterwards and I had my head on John's chest.

"I broke up with Taylor," he said very suddenly.

Well, that was something I didn't see coming.