Never Too Late

New Student

Lacey's Point of View

I was getting redressed and John was taking a shower. I was sitting on his bed on my phone when he asked me to grab his phone for him. I went over to his dresser next to the bed and grabbed it. I was walking over to the bathroom door when it flashed and showed a text from Taylor. My stomach dropped. I should've known he had lied to me about her, but I wasn't about to make a scene over that right away. I opened the door and put it on the counter next to the sink. I walked back over to his bed and sat back down. I waited for him to be done and then we headed back to my uncles’. We didn't really talk on the way there. We got there and John put the car in park. He kissed me and then I put my hand on the door.

"I'll talk to you later?" he said.

"Sure," I said, forcing myself to smile.

I got out of the car and walked into the house. I was greeted by everyone. They had thrown me a little party. We ate dinner and made small talk. I excused myself from everyone else and went to my room. I heard a knock on door and then it opened. Frank was standing there, and I hadn’t seen him in a while.

"What's up, kid?” he asked. “You look like something's wrong."

"It's a long story," I replied.

"I've got time," he said.

I sighed and patted the side of the bed and he sat down. I started to tell my long rant and I didn't even realize I was crying until Frank was hugging me.

"Just let him go, it's for the best,” Frank said soothingly. “You don't need stress in your life right now. You need to focus on school and not boys.”

I nodded. I barely knew Frank but he had some good advice. Frank patted my leg, then stood up and left my room. I changed into some comfy clothes and crawled into bed. I looked at my messages and saw I had one from John. I didn't bother reading it. Instead, I put my phone down and closed my eyes hoping sleep would come quickly.

I woke up the next morning and got ready for school. I headed downstairs and grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at the table. Gerard came in and was surprised to see me there.

"You disappeared before I could ask you how you were last night," he said sitting down across from me.

"Sorry, I was just tired," I lied.

"If something's bugging you, you can talk to me Lacey,” he offered. I don’t know If you know this, but I've dealt with depression before.”

"I'll keep that in mind," I told him.

Lucy came into the room before Gerard could say anything else to me.

"You ready?" she asked.

I nodded and we both said goodbye to our uncle. We got into her car and left for school. We didn't talk much on the way there. We got to the school and went our separate ways. I had English first so I went to the classroom. I could feel people staring at me and I kept my head down. The bell rang and I left the room. I was heading to my locker and I wasn't paying attention and I ended up bumping into someone.

"I am so sorry," I said bending down to pick up my books..

"Don't worry about it," he said, his hood up.

His hood fell off and within seconds girls were screaming his name. He grabbed my hand and ran down the hall. He pulled me into a closet and turned the light on. I was in the same room as Nick Jonas.

"Sorry about that," he said

"Bruh, I totally understand," I said, shrugging my shoulders.

The look on his face was priceless.

"Marry me?" he asked jokingly.

"Uh, I mean if I knew you better I totally would,” I replied. “Make those bitches jealous."

Nick laughed and pulled his hood back up and checked the door to make sure it was safe.

"Give me your cell phone," he said.

I looked at him and I gave it to him. He was typing for a bit handed it back.

"Text me some time," he said.

And with that, he was gone. I felt like this was a sign. A sign to move on from John and actually be happy with life. I walked out of the hall and caught up with him and stopped in front of him.

"Wanna ditch this place?" I asked.

"Why the hell not," he said after a moment of hesitation.

He walked me to his car and we left together, no real destination. I wasn't sure where we were going but I definitely wanted to get to know him better.