Never Too Late

Halloween Night

Lacey's Point of View

I woke up the next morning before Nick did and decided to get in the shower. I grabbed some clothes in a rush and headed to my bathroom. I turned the shower on and let it warm up. I stripped out of my clothes and got in, letting the warm water wake me up while I washed my hair and body. I turned the shower off and stepped out, grabbing my towel and wrapping it around my body. I was about to get dressed when I noticed I forgot a shirt.

"Shit," I swore.

I looked toward the door and sighed. I went over to the door and opened it, hoping I would get lucky and Nick would still be asleep but that wasn't the case. Nick was up and scrolling on his phone. He looked up from his phone and looked at me. I could feel myself blushing.

"Sorry to make this awkward, I forgot a shirt," I said.

"It's cool," Nick said easily.

I grabbed a shirt and walked back into the bathroom. I got dressed and brushed my hair out, deciding to leave it down. When I was done I walked back into my room and put my dirty clothes in my hamper.

"You can take a shower if you want,” I offered. “Towels are on the rack in the bathroom.”

Nick nodded and decided to take a shower. I told him I'd be downstairs when he was done. I left my room and went to the kitchen. I grabbed a Pop Tart and put it in the toaster. I was grabbing a plate as Lucy was walking in. I sat down at the table and could tell something was bugging her. We ended up talking for a bit about the night before and then I decided to head back to my room. I hung out with Nick until he had to leave which was only a few hours. The rest of the night went fast and before I knew it, it was the next day.

School was school. Same old shit. The day went fast and school was over. Lucy had to work right after school so Nick gave me a ride home. He dropped me off and headed out since he had some other stuff to do. I went inside and went to my room to start on homework. I was doing some math when there was a knock on my door. I looked up and saw that it was Gerard.

"Want to keep me company while I hand out candy for the trick-or-treaters?" he asked.

"Sure, let me finish this and I'll head down," I agreed.

Gerard nodded and left. I finished my homework and headed down the stairs. We sat on the porch together and handed out candy.

"So want to tell me about this John kid who showed up Saturday night?" Gerard asked during a break between groups of kids.

"He's an asshole who needs to grow the fuck up," I said.

Gerard gave me a questioning look and I explained everything. After I was done Gerard didn't say anything for a few moments.

"What a fucking douche,” he finally said. “Glad I didn’t say anything last night. Nick seems nice, though.”

"He is,” I agreed. “Definitely has made going back to school easier.”

"Always good to have friends,” he said. “That's how I made it through.”

"Well, he's the only one I have at the moment,” I admitted. “Most of the school still gossips about me.”

"One’s better than none, Lacey,” he pointed out. “I know how hard this is, I've been there myself. School used to be hell for me. And I know moving in here hasn't been the best either but I'm new to all of this, too. Raising my sister's two daughters was the last thing I thought I'd ever have to do. But I know for a fact this is what your mother would've wanted. Your father is probably the worst person I know but he's always been that way. I don’t see why Allison never left him.”

"Because he’s an asshole and a manipulating little fuck and would never let her do anything," I said.

Gerard let out a laugh. This was probably the first time I'd ever heard Gerard open up about my mother. I mean, I barely knew the dude and I could still relate to him about everything.

"Well, he's the reason you guys don't know us that well,” Gerard told me. “He never let her bring you guys over. Thought we were just a bunch of emos who wrote weird music."

"Well, you know, he always has to be right," I said, rolling my eyes.

We talked for a bit longer and handed out a little more candy and then went inside. I went to my room and got into pajamas and crawled into my bed. I laid down and closed my eyes. Sleep came pretty quick and I was okay with it.