Never Too Late

Bribery

Lacey's Point of View, Two Weeks Later

I hadn't talked to John in the past two weeks. He had tried but I’d ignored each and every text message he’d sent. I barely even talked to my own sister. I'd go to school, come home, and just go to my room. One afternoon, I was in my room doing homework when there was a knock on my door. I looked up and saw that it was my father standing in the doorway.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, I hadn't heard from you or your sister in a while so I figured we'd stop over," he said.

"Well, I'm fine and I'm sure Lucy is fine, too. So you can go now," I said coldly.

"Your stepmother and I have a surprise outside for you," he said, lifting his hand a little. That's when I noticed a set of keys hanging from his finger. He tossed them to me and I bolted down the stairs and outside. Next to my sister’s car was a grey Chevrolet Malibu. I was pretty excited to have my own car now but something wasn't right here. Why would they just magically show up with this for me? Something else must be going on.

"Come inside, we have more news," my father said I followed him into the living room where my sister and stepmother were. I sat down next to Lucy and waited to hear what they had to say.

"So what's going on?" Lucy asked, breaking the ice.

"Your father and I are expecting a baby," my stepmother announced, smiling.

No one said anything for a few seconds. I for one couldn't believe it and I knew Lucy couldn't either. "So that's why I got a car? You thought giving me a damn car would make this easier?"

"Lacey, we just wanted you to be happy for us," my stepmother responded like she couldn’t believe this was the reaction they were getting.

"Giving me a car doesn't do shit. You kick us out of our home because you have my father wrapped around your fucking finger. Then you tell us this? I think I could've gone without knowing," I snapped.

"Enough Lacey. That's your stepmother you're talking to," our father argued.

"That thing is not my step mother," Lucy chimed in.

"She is and you both need to learn to deal with it," Dad fought.

"No, you know what?" Lucy shook her head and stood up. “I’m out of here, this is bullshit.”

With that, she left, leaving me all alone with these two people who were like strangers to me. I didn't have anything to say to them myself. I stood up and started walking away.

"And where do you think you're going?" my father demanded.

"Well I have nothing to say to either of you. So congrats on ruining this family some more. I think I'm going to take my new car for a nice ride somewhere and forget this ever happened," I told him.

I grabbed a jacket and my phone before I headed out the door. I checked my phone and saw that Lucy had texted me saying she was with Mason and wouldn't be home until late. I didn’t respond. Instead, I got into my car and started to drive. I wasn't really sure where I was going to go but I somehow managed to end up at John's. I parked on the street a few doors down and turned the car off. I sighed; I wasn't ready to face him but knew I had to. I got out of my car and went to the front door. I knocked on it and a few minutes later it opened.

"You don't talk to me for two weeks and you just think you can come over here like nothing happened?" he snapped as he opened the door.

"I'm sorry.” That was all I could manage to say

"You’re sorry? That's it? Nothing else?" He demanded. I hated when he was like this. I hated myself for making him be like this. I was the one who cut him out for two weeks. I was the one who was a complete bitch. And I couldn't even come up with a good apology.

"What else do you want me to say?” I lashed out. “That I'm a terrible person? That I'm a bitch? Because last I checked, I’m not the only one who said things that night that weren't nice, John. I may have fucked up, but so did you. So I'm sorry for wasting your time. I'll just leave and you won't ever have to deal with me again."

I could feel the tears running down my face as I walked away from him. I was almost to my car when I was spun around. John’s lips connected with mine. He broke the kiss and put his head against mine.

"Don't go," he whispered.

"Maybe it's for the best, John," I said.

"Please just stay the night,” he requested. “I've missed you." He looked at me with those big, sad, brown eyes. I couldn’t resist. I sighed and nodded. He grabbed my hand and took me inside. We went up to his room, began kissing again, and things heated up as our clothes came off. We were laying there afterwards when we heard a car door slam shut. John went over to his window and cursed.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked.

"Lucy's here" he said.

Well, fuck. We were about to be so screwed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long! We've both been so busy lately, but we're trying to carve out more time for writing. Thanks for sticking with us!