Status: Nano story.

The Night Shades.

Edin.

My soft shoes left imprints in the soft fluffy snow that had been left over from the storm, my dress floated a few inches above just barely touching the snow and my cape, resting over my shoulders to keep my body warm softly dragged being me.

Winter was one of the hardest seasons that Fora could throw at us, the nights would become severely cold to where families would have to huddle together to keep warm, the food would be scarce at times and the village would become angry. They would demand more from Fora, beging for the cold to end and snow to melt so they could place their crops.

But she was stubborn, like us all. She would give only if we deserved and earned it, if we respected her lands and creatures. The village elders had always informed us of the rules, Respect Fora, respect her creations and never enter the woods. No matter what the cause.

As a child I learned the truth, my mother had told me if what has become of the few who didn't respect Foras creations, she told me of The Night Shades.

They were the protectors of Fora, they were the rules and they would step in if needed. In my 23 years of living I had never seen a Night Shade, never saw their green glowing eyes peeking from the forest as some would explain. Nor did I see the red orbs staring back at me, I was always greeted by a light breeze and the smell of flowers.

My body stopped moving and my eyes were trained to the forest in front of me, every night I would come to look. I would try and catch a glimpse of them, to see what they looked like. To hear a noise they made, to see if the stories were true. But every time i would go, there was nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe an occasional wolf, owl, large cat or some other animal.

But nothing monstrous, nothing of what they told us.

My body weight shifted to my left side and my arms were covered by my cape, it was late in the night and seeing as I couldn't sleep I took the walk. Hoping I would see something out if the ordinary, did I wish for this to be true because of boredom? Did I want to make a friend? I shook the thoughts from my head and narrowed my eyes trying to see better, choosing a night with no much light of the moon wasn't the best choice.

Taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh, I could see the breathe forming into a small cloud before dispersing into thin air. A small gust pushed past me causing my arms to tighten and my body to shiver, I couldn't stay here long. It was to dangerous. My left foot moved behind me and I swiftly turned my back to the woods, I didn't know what it was that made me fear this might. But I knew to respect Foras wishes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fora-name of planet.