Status: Nano story.

The Night Shades.

Ten.

I had been here for one week total, Damien and I didn't speak much unless we bad to discuss something important, like why I was stuck on babysitting little shades. He avoided the conversation the best that he could, speaking about travels or other villages who were left in the dark.

Never even apologizing for making me a baby shade babysitter, acting as if it was normal for a human teenager to watch baby wolves. When I had no idea what to do with them or how to even care for them, but he acted as if they were safe. It wasn't their safety I worried for, it was mine.

"Damien." My feet hit the bottom step as I called out for him, but was met with total silence. He must have ran out early once again to avoid my concerning talk, I mean who leaves humans to babysit wolves. Baby wolves.

Scratch

I could hear the whimpers from the front door and with a sigh, I made my way over sluggishly. Probably the first cub of the day to join me in my miserable morning, opening the door I was greeted by Ryder instead of cubs. His brown fur glistened in the morning light as he grunted and shoved his large body past my legs and into the house.

"Good morning to you to." I mumbled.

Shutting the door I turned and made my way back to the kitchen, where this type Ryder was sitting at the kitchen table with his hands covering his face.

"You look like you mauled a baby deer..." Starting the tea kettle, I looked over to him. Face still covered by hands, shoulders slumped over. Sighing I took a seat in front of him and waited.

"Your village was attacked late last night," He removed his face from his hands and stared at me. I could see just how tired and worn out he was, so I waited. "We don't know who as of yet, there were a few survivors. Damien is there trying to figure things out, he's angry. He thinks one of the men betrayed the village." A loud sigh like whin left his mouth as he slumped back into his chair.

I could feel the pain in my chest as I thought of my family, my mother, but she threw me out in hopes of being saved. Maybe Flora was punishing them for what they have done, maybe there was someone out there that was dangerous. My hands wrapped around Ryder's and I smiled.

"Well, Flora has a plan and I'm happy that I was here safe and not there." It must have sounded horrible, I must have sounded crazy but I was right. If that never happened, then I could have been one of the many victims. So here we sat waiting for something to happen or someone to say something.

"Damien saved you for a reason and I'm still trying to figure out what that reason is, your human and he's...different." My eyes narrowed at the word different, how could he be different? Ryder sighed "What is it about you? Being around you is calming, you make us laugh and you bring out a different-" He stopped talking.

His back straightened and be stared at me, my eyes narrowed in confusion as he watched me. It seemed like he was just hit with realization of something, his face was neutral. No emotion. His hands were now retracted from mine and folded.

"What?" I asked leaning back as I started to hear the tea start to hum.

"I know why." A smirk came to his face as he slowly stood from his spot, his hand rested on my shoulder giving me a small squeeze. "Damien will be back in a few hours, some pups will be here to keep you company. I'll swing by later to check in kitten."

With that said he walked out of the house silently just as the tea kettle started to scream the tune of its done, turning off the water my eyes stared at the door way. But this time, instead of Ryder entering there were puos skidding into the house. Paws leaving diet tracks on their way over to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I m so sorry if these chapters suck.