Status: Nano story.

The Night Shades.

Tre.

It had been three days and two nights since my encounter with the strange man, we hadn't spoke while we walked back to my home and he was gone just before I stepped foot on the front steps. It was strange, he plauged my mind since then. I tried to imagine what his facial features held, sky blue eyes, a strong muscular jaw...his lips plump and luscious.

"Jessa!"

My body jolted as I quickly turned to see my mother staring at me from down the hall, a bucket in her hands and her hair a mess. The look in her eyes told me just how annoyed she truly was, I couldn't deny that I had slacked off on my chores and praise Flora that my mother wouldn't lash me for it.

"I'm sorry mother." I spoke quietly and bowed my head down low to show my apologies, she let out a soft grumble of words before stalking off to who knows where with a bucket for who knows what.

A sigh escaped my lips as I looked around the room, it was clean, the beds made and dressers dusted. I quickly made my way out of the room and headed for the widows home, a woman who had given me a simple job. Clean and cook for her on certain days at certain times, today was Monday and today I had to be there just before the sunset.
My legs moved quickly as I walked through the snow that hadn't been removed, my dress now wet and feet soaked and cold. They expect Flora and Night shades to help but can't even help others.. A huff came from my lips as I slowly maneuvered across a path in front of the tavorn that held a small sheet of ice. This town was going to be the death of me.

"We need to take a stand!"

"We need more food!"

My body came to a halt as I was ready to pass the taverns door, I could feel the warm flowing out into the cold giving me a but of comfort. But what I couldn't understand was why these men were rallying, what did they mean by needing more food and taking a stand? Leaning my body against the door frame, enough to where I couldn't be seen or hear, I listened.

"Flora has given us a harsh winter, we won't survive!" One man spoke.

"There have been no sightings of deer in the fields or rabbits from hibernation! We must enter the woods or we will starve!" Another man spoke and I cover my mouth with my hand, they wouldnt, couldn't break the treaty that has been held for generations.

There was silence, then a long sigh and soon shuffling. I could hear them gathering their weapons, I could hear them mumbling about maybe killing and eating a Night Shade. Ending the treaty for good and taking over the woods as their own, there were even some harsh words spoken about the woman and children of our village.

Quickly I rushed past the door of the tavorn before I could be seen as the men rushed out, a few disagreed with there movements and rash actions. But I just watched hiden in the shadows behind a stack of crates, Flora protect these men and protect the Shades who are in danger. Standing quickly I walked around the side of the tavorn. And swiftly followed them, it was just before sunset so I was able to hide in the given shadows.

"Kill what we see! Nothing lives!" One of the head men spoke, my eyes narrowed and my heart hammered behind my chest. Was this a hunting party for food or a killing party for joy? The men stalked closer to the woods, slowly trying not show fear. But I could see the few who were shaking and not because of the cold, but because they knew that what they were about to do would kill them all.

Aarooo

My eyes widened and my ears perked as the men entered the woods and the wolfs howl echoed across the village.

Aaaroooo

Another one echoed but from a different direction, but there were no screams, no shouts of the men. My hand went up to my chest hoping to calm my beating heart and nerves that made my body shake, where they going to die? Where they going to survive? A snow flake touched my nose, and soon more followed.

Flora wasn't happy.