Chasing Stars

Chapter 1

Rylynn Marie, that's my name. The last name, well let's just say I've always questioned as to what it actually is. My mother said it was Way, that my father was a famous singer who abandoned us. Well not really abandoned, more like didn't know about me and broke up with my mother when they were kids. I had a hard time finding that to be true. My mother moved away after she found out about me and decided to never attempt to tell him. That is until she put him as my guardian, if she was to die. Funny thing is, she thought it wouldn't happen while I was a minor. Truth is, it did.

I moved to California last month. I've meet him, Gerard Way and his overly happy family. They are nice, but not my type of people. I don't really talk to any of them that much. I talked to him enough to make sure he won't send me to a shrink. I don't say anything about my mother or how she died. I know it bugs him that I'm not that open about it. But how can I be, she was my world.

"Rylynn, it's time for dinner," Lindsey said through my door after knocking. I set my picture of my mother back into my dresser drawer and grabbed my sweatshirt. Walking downstairs, I could hear Bandit laughing along with Gerard. I gave a half smile as I walked into the room and sat down.

"So Rylynn, are you ready for tomorrow?" Gerard asked me as we began to eat. He had enrolled me into a high school not far away. Apparently loosing a parent doesn't warrant skipping a year. This of course did stop me from trying to get out of it. In the end they won and I was enrolled in to what presumed to be a preppy school.

"Yeah," I muttered as I played with my food. I could feel him eyeing me. "Is there something else?" I inquired.

"Well," he said rubbing the back of his neck.

"The school wants you to meet with the counselor before class," Lindsey finally said since Gerard hadn't. I looked at her and then at him. The fact is I didn't need to see a counselor, i was fine, sad but fine.

"What do they want to see me for?" I asked reluctantly.

"Rylynn they want to just make sure everything is alright. They know you've had a tough month." Gerard tried to explain. A tough month, wow is that really what he thinks. Yes, that is exactly how I would describe it 'A tough month.' I lost my mother and moved in with strangers. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as more that just 'A tough month.'

"I'm fine," I exclaimed.

"We know that but it is still a lot," he rubbed his neck again. I took a drink of water and set my fork down. This was clearly one of those topics the adults where not going to listen to me on. So I did the next best thing, escape.

"I'm not that hungry." I got up and walked out of the room and back upstairs. I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a picture of my mother. I traced the outline of her face. I missed her so much. I heard a knock on my door and quickly shoved the photo back in the drawer. I opened the door part way to find Gerard standing there with my plate I had left downstairs.

"Not hungry," I said very plainly. He sighed and looked me up and down.

"Rylynn, I know you don't want to go to the counselor. I understand that, but look at it from an outside perspective," he began. I could tell this was leading to a lecture.

"Arhhh," I groaned and turned to walk to my bed pushing the door the rest of the way open. He got the hint that it was okay to come in the room. He set the food on my nightstand and sat next to me on my bed.

"We're just worried and so is the school. Both of them. Your old one and new one. You not eating is also not good," He said looking at the plate on the nightstand. Frustrated, I groaned and fell backwards on the bed.

"I swear I am fine, Gerard. You don't have to worry."

"Okay kiddo," he said patting my leg. "I think we're going to watch a movie downstairs, if you want to join."

"No, I'm alright. I think I'll just read up here." With that Gerard got up and walked to the door. I sat up to see that he hadn't completely left, in fact he was leaning against the door frame looking at me. "What's up?" I asked.

He shock his head, "Nothing. You know you are welcome, right?" I could see the worry in his eyes, making my stomach turn with guilt.

"Yes Gerard, I know."

"Mom, come on, I already told you I wont get in any trouble if you let me go," I pleaded my case to my mother to let me go compete in a summer concert series.

"Ry it's not that I think you're going to get in trouble. In fact it's the opposite, I think you're going to get a complex and then some agency is going to come get you. Please sit back and put your seatbelt on," she said kicking up the whipper speed.

"I'm not like him. I'm not going to be like him."

"Ry put your damn seatbelt on, now." I obeyed. "Listen it's not that your father was a bad person. I just don't want you to be taken advantage of."

"Right because I'm such a delicate fucking flower."


I inhaled hard as I opened my eyes. I turned to see Gerard walking into the room. I turned on my side, blinking and causing my book to fall to the ground.

"Hey, did I wake you?" Gerard asked in a clam quiet manner. He walked over and crouched down beside me. He picked up my book and placed it on the nightstand.

"Yeah, I think so, I'm not quite sure," I sighed "I'm just so tired."

"Okay, you want me to grab some pajama's for you?" he asked stroking my hair. I just blinked deeply. He stood up and walked to my dresser returning a moment later with some pajama pants. I sighed and sat up. He handed me the pants and shirt.

"Thanks," I said nearly above a whisper. He grabbed the plate and cup from my nightstand and left the room. I changed and slid into the covers. I few moment later Gerard came back into the room.

"Did you set your alarm? We have to leave here at seven fifteen," he said sitting next to me. I reached over and set the alarm. "You might wanna take your sweatshirt off, it's kinda warm up here." I shrugged. "Okay, goodnight."

"Night," I muttered. Praying that sleep out find me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think. This is a story i wrote awhile ago, it's not completely finished but i found it while looking for inspiration to finish my other story on here.

~nailsntacks