Chasing Stars

Chapter 42

The next morning, I woke to light shining in my face and a creepy silence I couldn’t place. I stood up, pulling on a sweatshirt and walking downstairs. It was still silent when I reached the first floor. I walked into the kitchen to see no one sitting, no coffee brewing. Fearing that it could be the start to the zombie apocalypse I yelled at the top of my lungs, “Hello?”

“God Rylynn. We’re right here,” Gerard said sounding upset from the sitting room. I angrily walked towards the room stopping right before I entered.

“Are you clothed?” I said sounding just as upset. I heard Lindsey laugh.

“Yes,” she stated. I marched into the room and glared at Gerard.

“Why are you in here? You are never in here,” I questioned. Gerard dropped his book down and glanced up at me.

“We do come in here but I think typically you are at school or locked in your room. Why are you so upset?” He countered sitting up to pickup his coffee and offer it to me.

“You are never in here in the morning,” I stated again. I accepted the coffee from his hand.

“Sweetheart, it’s not morning. It’s 12:30,” Lindsey said setting her drawing pad down. “Are you hungry?”

“No. Yes. I don’t know. Why is it 12:30?” I answered feeling confused.

“Just sit down. Everything is fine,” Gerard said picking his book back up. I whined and reluctantly sat down next to him.

“I’ll make you some food and more coffee,” Lindsey said standing up.

“Thank you,” I muttered and leaned my head on Gerard’s shoulder. Silence echoed in the room with the only sound being the occasional page turn from Gerard. Lindsey entered the room again with a plate of fruit and toast with peanut butter on it. I sat up and accepted the plate beginning to eat the food. Lindsey sat back down.

“Have you told her about the traveling plans yet?” Lindsey asked Gerard. I looked at her than at him as I began to eat my fruit.

“No, I probably should,” he said shutting his book. “We are flying out on the 22nd and will be back on the 2nd. That’ll still give you some time before going back to school.” I nodded and continued to eat my fruit. Gerard and Lindsey eyed each other.

“Do you have any questions?” Lindsey asked awkwardly. I swallowed my strawberry and looked at her.

“Who’s house are we staying at?” I asked looking at her.

“Our house. I… we… I bought one before I moved out here and I never sold it. So we usually stay there when we are in town. Actually now that I think about it, we’ll have to get your room setup.” Gerard answered.

“What city?” I asked quickly.

“Hackensack. About 25 minutes from Derek, which I know is the real question you are asking,” Gerard added with a smile. He outstretched his arm around me and stroked my hair.

“So I can see him while we’re there?” I asked looking from Lindsey to Gerard.

“Yeah you can see him while we’re there,” Gerard said. “You can even visit your mom while we are there too,” he added stoking my hair behind my ear and away from my face. I wasn’t sure how to reply to that. I hadn’t visited the cemetery since her funeral. I wasn’t sure how to start even thinking about it.

“Yeah, maybe,” I finally said to make sure they didn’t push the subject. “So I’m meeting the mother huh? Lindsey, should I be worried?” I attempted to change the subject from my mother.

“No, you’ll love her,” she said with a laugh.

“So, you’re ok with the plan?” Gerard asked moving his head to catch my gaze. I nodded and gave him a smile. He continued to look at me as if in disbelief.

“Yeah I’m fine with it. I’m excited to see Derek,” I answered finishing the food on my plate. “I’m gonna go call him, let him know.” I stood up and walked away. Calling Derek was the last thing on my mind. Would I have to go visit my mom’s grave? Would I want to? What was I supposed to do, talk to it, cry? I shut my bedroom door and pulled out my notebook but was unable to write. I didn’t know how to process this new idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay. I had two close deaths in my family so April was really rough.

Let me know what you think.

~Nailsntacks