Chasing Stars

Chapter 43

The next week past quickly. I finished up my term finals and wished all my friends a good break. Jeremy said his mom would actually get time off so he was pretty existed to be on break. I however was finding myself anxious as I walked towards Gerard’s car. I opened the door greeting him with a smile.

“How was your last test?” He asked as we began to drive away.

“A joke,” I stated with a groan. “Why do you still insist upon making me attend this school?”

“Because it’s a good school and you need an education,” he explained.

“That’s what we call bullshit,” I said energetically.

“Language,” Gerard scolded. I rolled my eyes in response.

“So what time do we leave tomorrow?” I said leaning back and looking out of the window watching the passing trees.

“6am,” Gerard answered. I quickly sat up whipping my head around to look at him.

“6 what? Are you crazy?” I quickly stated. Gerard chuckled and glanced at me.

“No that is actually the time we have to leave the house. Especially with four of us traveling. Oh and please leave your razors at home. We can buy you new ones in Jersey and I really don’t want a replay of security last time,” Gerard stated. I had forgotten that I packed my disposable razors in my backpack when I was staying with Derek. Turns out TSA doesn’t like that. I smirked at Gerard and looked back out the window.

“At least I live an exciting life,” I stated mockingly.

“Ok fine but nothing that’s going to get us hung up at security. Just the stuff you absolutely need. Everything else can be checked. We’ll be getting in about 3. Do you think you can manage to wait to see Derek until Sunday? I’d like us to all just get settled in.” It was thoughtful, Gerard wanting to make sure I saw my friend.

“But if he drives over it doesn’t effect anyone else having to travel more,” I stated. As much as I wanted to avoid going home, I really wanted to see Derek. We pulled into the drive and Gerard looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

“We are talking about 18 hours. You guys haven’t seen each other in 5 months, I think you can live 18 hours,” he added turning off the engine.

“I’ll take that as a maybe,” I said quickly before exiting the car. I walked inside and kicked off my shoes and opening the fridge.

“18 hours, that’s all I’m asking,” Gerard said as he entered. I turned around with a water in my hand.

“You know Dad, I don’t have a lot of friends. You’d make me really happy and not so depressed if you let me see my friends.” I turned to him and batted my eyes at him.

“Low blow,” he said in response. I rolled my eyes and leaned on the counter. I pushed out my lower lip a small amount which resulted in Gerard chuckling. “That’s not going to work on me and you know it,” he replied.

“Fine,” I groaned. “I guess I should go pack yeah?” Gerard set his keys on the counter and nodded.

“Probably a good idea. I ah, I actually have something for you but I have to go grab it from the office. I’ll meet you upstairs.” He disappeared past the doorway. I wasn’t sure what he was referring to. Most likely it was a suitcase or something like that. I shrugged and walked up the stairs.

I had just enough time to pull out my carry on and start filling it with clothes when Gerard’s knuckles rippled on the door. I looked up from the bag to see him standing there with a wrapped gift in hand. I gave him a confused look. He walked over and joined me sitting on the floor.

“You know Christmas is still a few days away right?” I asked him as he slide the red and silver package on to my lap.

“I know. This is something I wanted to give you but not in front of everyone. I know there are a lot of holidays and birthdays I’ve missed. I wish it wasn’t the case but I can’t change your mother’s choice. This however I’m hoping will make up for a little bit of that and maybe help you feel a little bit more at home,” he answered.

I pulled the corner of the package separating the wrapping paper in a delicate fashion. When I finally pulled the paper away, there in my lap sat three leather bound books. On the spine read “RMW”. I let my fingers gently trace over my initials, feeling the impressions on the material. I pulled the cover of the first book open to see blank pages.

“I saw the notebook on your nightstand. I swear I didn’t read it. I figured if you are going to keep a journal or diary, it should be a nice. Your thoughts are always so different when you visit them later in life.” Gerard’s words came at a rush. As if he needed to have them heard before he could no longer say them. I was touched. No one had ever given me such a personal gift before.

“It’s my music…Or lyrics I should say. They are all jumbled up and half the time only make sense to me but it’s just how I write. Sometimes it’s easier to put it down on paper,” I explained. My hand let the book fall closed.

“Then for your music,” Gerard stated.

“Thanks Dad,” I said setting the books aside and leaning forward to hug him. His arms wrapped around me, pulling me slightly into his lap.

“Anytime,” he muttered softly in my ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy!