Status: for lizz

Somewhere Beyond the Sea

will you be my constant through it all?

For a girl with a metal brace around her leg, she proves to be an expert at sneaking up on him.

"So...I heard Kane's rounding up a group for peace negotiations with the Boat People," she begins, and the way she leans in his doorway so casually - almost as if she belongs there - has a way of getting beneath his skin that he just can't explain. Her dark-eyed gaze locks on his before she makes her demand. "I want in."

Bellamy feigns disinterest, doesn't shift from his seat on the edge of his bunk, and continues to sharpen his knife. "That sounds like an issue between you and Kane, not me."

"See, that's the thing," Raven says, traversing the small stretch of space between them as if it's nothing, as if her leg isn't just dead weight. "Your sister told me you were the one heading up the group, and I want in."

He can't keep from sighing and rolling his eyes at her. On one hand, he knew she was going to find out about the expedition soon enough - after all, word travels fast around Camp Jaha - he just never expected Octavia to be the one who'd let it slip. Octavia was generally good about keeping her mouth shut, which makes him suspicious somehow.

Regardless, he scoots over on the mattress, making room for her to settle in beside him.

"Raven, you know that's not a good idea." He manages to keep his tone steady, low, because he refuses to let her hear his voice waver and crack, refuses to let it show how much the idea of something else horrific happening to her under his watch terrifies him.

He can almost feel her eyes narrow at him, her stare bore into him as she speaks. "Are you going to tell me that I can't go? That I'm too fucking weak?"

His gaze drops to her brace, then wanders back up to her features. He takes note of the way her complexion's still drained from
Mt. Weather, but he doesn't say anything.

"Because I'd expect that sort of bullshit excuse from Clarke, but I'd never expect it from you, Bellamy."

It's vulnerable, the way she says his name, the fact that she even uses his name at all. There's also something unspoken there, a sentiment that lingers in the air between them.

She'd never expect him to underestimate her life that because he knew she could handle it.

Because he knew how badly she needed an escape from Abby's recommendations and all the delinquents' pitiful states.

Because he knew that she'd never withhold anything from him.


A long and ragged exhale escapes his lips as he maintains his focus on the metal wall across from them. "No. I'm not gonna be the one who tells you that you can't go."

"Even if I don't think you should," he fails to add.

"Even if I'm scared shitless," is what the pounding in his chest echoes.

"Thank you...for that, I mean." She lets her hand rest on his knee for a moment before she jerks it away and practically leaps to her feet. "I guess I'll see you later."

All he has to offer her is a solemn nod before his gaze follows her out the door.

>>


In all actuality, their group was really just a quartet made up of Bellamy, Octavia, Raven, and Lincoln. Bellamy serves as representation for the Sky People, and he can't shake the feeling that Kane is giving him some sort of test, because with their shared quick fire tempers, he and Raven have got to be the absolute worst ambassadors Camp Jaha has to offer. But he's trying to prove himself worthy of a leadership role, and he finds that he's constantly reminding himself that it isn't about him anymore, that he can't be selfish. This is for the future and wellbeing of his people.

Lincoln accompanies them to act as a translator if needed, and after his brush with death, Octavia rarely ever leaves his side anymore.

Raven is just...well, she's just Raven. The "official" reason for bringing her along is in the off-chance that something malfunctions with their communication devices, but essentially, she's there because she fought tooth-and-nail to come.

They travel on horseback - all on loan from the woodlands clan - and Bellamy can't help but revel in the way she clings onto his back.

"Didn't think you'd be afraid of horses," he teases her, glancing back to catch a glimpse of her with her cheek buried in his flight jacket. It's a sight he never thought he'd live to see.

Her response comes in the sharp dig of her nails into his sides. "Go float yourself, shooter."

Yeah, there's the Raven he knows, and it's hard for him not to chuckle a little.

>>


When they finally reach the coast, fuck the mission, the very first thing he does is take her to see the ocean. Though they've all seen the same worn photos and skipping video footage in Earth Science class, neither truly does justice to the scene stretched out in front of them. Still, Bellamy tries his hardest to not look completely awestruck. Of course, Raven couldn't care less.

Before he has a chance to say anything or utter a warning, she's moving towards the waves, her footsteps unsteady along the rocks, but the girl is like inertia: once she's set into motion, there's nothing that can stop her. She stops for a moment to remove her boots and roll up her jeans, and it's then that Bellamy catches up to her, grins like a fool as he watches her curl her toes against the smooth round pebbles.

"This is...amazing," she breathes, almost as if she can't fathom a word to describe this single moment in time. It's the happiest he's ever seen her, and that in itself is earth-shattering to him.

Because while she's lovely when she's broken, she's beautiful when she smiles.

Even with her physical limitations, Raven doesn't remain still for long. He follows her out into the water and laughed at the expression etched across her face as the waves lap and dissipate against her shins.

As the two of them stand shoulder-to-shoulder, feet lodged in the sand and two pairs of brown eyes gazing off into the horizon, neither of them dares to utter the words, but the emotion's heavy in the air between them. He reaches for her hand, takes the tiny, birdlike bones in his calloused grip, and for the first time, she doesn't jerk away. She doesn't tighten her grip around his, but she lets him hold her hand the same way that people have held one another's hands for centuries before them, and for Bellamy, this little shred of something normal, something happy, is more than enough.