‹ Prequel: Through Her Eyes
Status: Complete (Editing)

Thick Smoke

Traitor

”You will never have her. Never.” 

The cloaked man approached her next.

Young Lizzy took a step closer, her small hand grasping the broom just in case she had to make a quick turn and fly away. 

The child swallowed as she concentrated on what she could see through the keyhole. The cloaked man stopped abruptly and turned to her. Eliza froze as he pointed his wand at her and hissed:

“Avada Kedavra!”

“Avada Kedavra!”

“Avada Kedavra!”


Eliza woke up again sweating and trembling after seeing the face of the one who murdered her mother. Unlike what she thought, the blond and the woman with messy hair were not the only Death Eaters in the room; there was another one, shorter near the stairs.

When she walked the stairs to the Common Room, she noticed the light was still on and someone was working diligently on a lot of homework.

"Are you sure you are alright? That's a lot of stuff you've got to do."

Hermione frowned and for a moment it looked like she was thinking how to escape before she actually responded, "I'm fine. It's nothing I can't handle."

Eliza frowned and walked towards the desk. Hermione had every book from every class spread in front of her.

"When is it due?" The green eyed witch asked worriedly.

"Tomorrow." 

Eliza's green eyed widened like two plates before she shook her head.

"Unbelievable," 

Hermione raised her head at the sudden change in tone. Eliza was not stupid and seemed very perceptive of the people around her. 

"Ah, right. I heard from Ron that your cat ate his rat. I think he made himself very clear and complained about it all day yesterday." Eliza continued as she walked and sat down on the couch. 

Hermione's figure crouched and she looked like she was going to scream.

"Crookshanks did not do such a thing," 

It didn't sound convincing at all. 

"Then where is that Scabbers? Ron said he saw blood and hair that belongs to your cat," 

Eliza was having a point and Hermione knew how wrong it looked, "Crookshanks didn't eat him. Now if you'd excuse me, I think I'll go to sleep." 

Eliza watched the bushy haired girl gather everything on the desk and strutting upstairs into their dormitory. 

Being all alone, she couldn't help but let her mind wander to the nightmare she had. That pale face was disfigured and the light that she saw through the keyhole was green. Her mother couldn't even defend herself because they ganged up on her. 

Image

She didn't know when she fell asleep but she got woken up by a scream of terror. The girl groaned and watched as more people opened their doors and asked around what caused that noise. 

"What's wrong?" She asked the person who was closest to her which happened to be Oliver Wood, the captain of Gryffindor's Quidditch team.

"It's Ron. It seems Sirius Black was here and he tried to kill him." He answered half alarmed but panic wasn't yet inflicted since he was still half asleep.

"Oh," She couldn't say anything else. She wasn't even sure she should feel so happy that he got inside Hogwarts to begin with.

No one slept afterwards, not after it had been proven that Sirius Black was there for real and not just in Ron's imagination.

Eliza spent the whole night looking out the window. She was waiting for something magical to come and tell her that Sirius was safe. Peter Pettigrew was the sole reason her father was labeled as a murderer. Peter Pettigrew was supposed to be dead but he wasn't.

Image

If Hogwarts was crowded before, it was even worse now. Professors were being extra careful and searching everywhere for Black. He wasn't in the castle anymore but that didn't mean it was safe.

On the other side, lessons continued as usual. Potions was even more dreadful for Eliza if that was possible but at least she knew why now. However, Snape couldn't take too many points from Gryffindor or give her detention or anything really, because she was good at Potions.

She couldn't say the same for Divination, lesson that became boring now that they had to do palm reading and crystal gazing. It was boring and professor Trelawney was very blunt when she said one lesson that Eliza's future was foggy. Well, she certainly couldn't see it.

Another surprising thing was Eliza's growing friendship with Cedric Diggory. 

"Thanks for helping with muggle studies, again," She mumbled while her cheeks reddened lightly.

Cedric only smiled and pointed at something on the table. It was a book about defensive spells, "That's a bit complicated for a third year, isn't it?" 

Eliza frowned, "Um- that's for my own-um-" 

Cedric must have seen her red cheeks getting worse in embarrassment, "No, no, I didn't mean to say you couldn't- I mean if that is what interests you or-" He rambled.

They were placed in an awkward position and Eliza could see him try to think how to use his words wisely. 

"So, I have this problem in Charms and maybe you could help," She said as she looked for her Charms homework.

Cedric sighed and nodded, thankful that he didn't have to continue with even worse rambling.

Image

Later that day, Eliza was going to the Astronomy tower for her lessons with Lupin but he wasn't there. She raised an eyebrow and got ready to leave when she saw him strutting up the corridor. 

"What happened?" 

Remus sighed and leaned against the railing. He was holding onto some piece of parchment that looked really old from afar. 

"What's that?" She continued, pointing at the parchment. 

"Harry sneaked in Hogsmeade with the help of this." 

Eliza blinked a few times before she asked, "There was a trip to Hogsmeade today? I forgot. I probably kept Cedric busy..." 

She was far from the subject that mattered. 

"Malfoy saw him and I barely saved him from Severus." Remus was being distressed as it was (with the full moon coming and his goddaughter being so close to her father) so he really didn't need anything else to worry about. 

Of course Harry wasn't aware of that. He's just like his father, thought Remus. 

"So, what is that?" Eliza asked again.

"The Marauder's Map. I told you abou- no." 

Remus could see her glowing with mischievousness and he knew if she were to get the handle of how it worked, he'd be in a lot of trouble. 

"Oh come on. You don't have the right to keep it away from me. You helped creating it and have the same amount of blame as the rest of them!" Eliza whined loudly.

Remus sighed and gave it to her. He didn't even need to tell her how to work it- he already did when he first told her about it.

"I can finally see where you go when you transform." She mumbled but that seemed to confuse Remus.

"What do you mean? I don't go anywhere. I stay in my office until the night passes." 

His answer was not the one she wanted to hear. It was really easy to read her when she was making it so easy with her expressions. 

"What about Snape? Should we see if he's pacing in his office, whispering all kinds of curses to you and Harry?" She asked bemusedly before she opened the map.

"This is not for you to play," The brown haired young professor mumbled as he tried to snatch it back. 

"Yes sure. Because that's exactly what it was made for: responsibility." 

Lupin seized his goddaughter before he chuckled. She really was a little version of Sirius. 

Image

It was a few days later when Eliza got caught by Neville and asked to help him with Potions and Transfiguration. She was confused what to do until she saw how desperate he looked (she could only guess it was Snape's fault). 

So that was exactly what she did. By Easter holiday, Eliza's notes were going around the third year Gryffindors like wildfire. She was sure some of the notes were her opinions on what she should improve while some were McGonagall's opinions on what she should concentrate on. 

Hermione was busier than ever. She even snapped during Divination and gave it up. However, there was still a lot of homework she had for subjects that were definitely at the same time. Eloza checked, just to be sure.

On a happier tone, the Quidditch final was going to be played between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Both houses were very excited and Slytherins had an unique way of showing it. 

Eliza couldn't pass the opportunity to see such a battle, especially since Wood encouraged everyone to come and cheer for their team. 

As soon as Eliza sat next to Hermione, her eyes caught glimpse of something very valuable, "How the heck did Harry get a Firebolt?!" 

Ron and Hermione exchanged a knowing look before they came up with 'given to him at Christmas'. 

Luckily, Gryffindor did win the cup. It was good news for everyone except Slytherins. Cedric came around and gave his congratulations from the Hufflepuff team as well as a pretty girl from Ravenclaw.

Wood was so happy he found it vital to beam about it every minute or so. 

"We won the cup, Liz! You had the honor to transfer here right in time to see me-I mean the team finally win! Isn't that just fantastic?!" 

Eliza's hand was twitching under the table, "Extraordinary," 

Even the players were getting a bit annoyed with their captain but no one dared say a word about it. It was his last year so he may as well leave in glory. 

Exams came faster than Eliza thought. Yesterday was writing essay after essay while now she was trying to remember all those lines she wrote. Thankfully, that one was last and she probably did well. Probably. 

Remus sighed and grabbed a hand through his hair. His eyes were sore and he looked messier than the other day. Eliza was sure he hasn't slept and a new full moon was approaching, adding to the stress.

"What should I do?" She asked, his head rising right away, his eyes narrowing at her figure, "What should I do if I don't pass History?"

"Nothing. I'm sure you did well. That's not what I am worried for!" He said as he gathered his stuff and put them in his case before taking out the map.

"Why are you worried? We both know da-Sirius won't kill Harry."

Suddenly Remus raised his eyes and looked straight into hers, "You met him, haven't you? But you don't know anything about him, Liz." He continued as he got up.

"He told me about Pettigrew," She begun, confusing the older man. "He told me Pettigrew is alive."

"Remus frowned, "But that's impossible! Sirius killed Peter after he-" 

"There was a spy, wasn't it? Anyone could have done it but not Sirius. He and James Potter were best friends. You told me that so many times," Eliza emphasized.

The way Remus was copping with the conversation couldn't be called calm but not angry either. He grabbed her shoulders harshly and pulled her into his arms tightly.

"If he is alive then where is he?" The man started, his voice lowering to a soft whisper. "If he is alive then where had he been for the past twelve years?" He continued. "Peter Pettigrew is dead. All that was left from him was a finger. " He added, feeling himself grow annoyed.

"What will you do? What will you do if someone gives you proof?" She asked once she realized Remus wasn't going to believe her.

"If there is proof that Sirius is innocent then I will believe it and do anything to help him." His eyes were glistening with optimism and it only confused Eliza even more.

"Haven't you believed him all this time? I thought you two were best friends." She mumbled, her head tilting to the side.

For a moment, Remus was speechless. He had always believed in his friend and never once imagined Sirius killing his best friend but sometimes he would wonder. 

Sirius was a spontaneous man when he was young and during war, many changes could interfere between two friends.

"You told me they became Animagi to help you. What was Pettigrew's?" She asked softly while walking to his desk.

"It doesn't matter now but he was a rat."

Eliza's eyes widened as she caught glimpse of something moving on the map, "I think I found the proof."

Remus couldn't believe it. He had to see it for himself and she was more than happy to show him. 

"The Marauder's map never lies..." He mumbled in amazement. 

"We have to catch him," Eliza mumbled but Remus shook his head furiously. 

"No, that's dangerous for you. I will go alone." 

He barely finished speaking when he felt his legs leaving the ground.

"Fine. We'll go after him tonight." He mumbled not liking it one bit.