‹ Prequel: Through Her Eyes
Status: Complete (Editing)

Thick Smoke

Back

“Have you packed already?” Remus asked, entering her room two days later. She nodded and checked her watch before grabbing Willy’s cage and running downstairs.

“I’m leaving!” She announced before using flow powder to get to the Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

Just like last year, students were crowding the station with their parents, saying goodbye for the rest of the year; or at least until the first break. Eliza grew taller during the break, probably because she reached another level of puberty; it was very visible in her posture and her body form.

“Excuse me! Excuse me,” She repeated those words, just like the first time she stepped on the platform, looking for a place to hide. Now, it was different because she was looking after her friends, beaming with enthusiasm that wasn’t there last year.

Once inside the train, she went searching for Hermione, ready to tell her everything she learned about muggles and their amazing ways of doing labor without actually doing it. She also spent a large sum of money on utensils and electronics, starting with her new phone that she wasn’t truly in need of but was fun.

“Have you heard? They say they still didn't find the culprit from the World Cup,"

Eliza heard someone whisper from one of the cabins she just passed. Actually, a lot of students were talking about the same unfortunate thing that happened that weekend, at a large scale event.

“What happened?” The brunette asked when she finally found the trio.

“Eliza!” Hermione exclaimed before pulling her friend into a warm hug. 

After spending time with Sirius, Eliza has loosened up a lot and quite welcomed human interaction, being content with anyone hugging her.

“So? What happened?” Eliza repeated once she sat next to Harry, across Hermione.

“The mark of you know who appeared at the Quidditch World Cup and Death Eaters attacked everyone who was there,” Harry answered, still feeling a chill down his spine at the memory of the sign.

“And what did the Ministry do about it?” Eliza continued to ask curiously.

“They are stressed. My father's been working overtime because of it." Ron answered before sulking into his seat.

Eliza stared at Ron's face before her eyes fell on Hermione,"What's wrong with him?" 

"Malfoy passed by." 

That suddenly made sense. From what she heard and saw at Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy loved to show off his pure-blood status towards half bloods and muggle born students but also annoy the Weasleys.

Thick silence engulfed the cabin so Eliza quickly changed the subject.

“The Quidditch World Cup, huh? I heard it was amazing. Dad whined for a while but he couldn't really show up, not even as an animagus.”

“How was summer with him?” Harry asked.

The green eyed girl sighed and rubbed her back remembering how proactive her father has been.

“Remus dropped me off every month and we'd spend a few weeks before going back home. He is still hiding and can't stay too much in one place. He really wants to pay up for the time he was gone but I feel like he had taken the wrobg route...Sudden duels, sudden lessons and a lot of other stuff based on his reasoning that I should be prepared, just in case,” The girl responded, making Harry grin just imagining it while Hermione and Ron glanced at each other.

“Just in case of what?” The brunette asked her friend confused.

Eliza didn’t respond, only shrugged.

“Anyway, how was the game? You must have seen Viktor Krum! I heard he is a beast on the field,” Eliza changed the subject towards something Ron could talk about.

But unlike what she expected, Ron was silent and didn't speak much for the rest of the ride. Hermione gave some insight if how much security was at the World Cup and her opinions on Veela but nothing about the Dark Mark.

Image

Arriving at Hogsmeade station felt incredible. Eliza's excitement was growing to another level already. If Remus' house was home for her then Hogwarts was like a camp: fun and educational at the same time.

She took the carrier with Lavender and the Patil twins and she enjoyed talking to them. It seemed they have done a lot of stuff during summer and traveled to different parts of the world. The Patil twins went to India and Lavender went to America with her parents. Unfortunately, Eliza couldn't give many details where she spent her time. 

Entering the castle, the green eyed witch waved at other Gryffindors she saw and even caught glimpse of Cedric. Outside was raining heavily and the floor was slippery but that didn't seem to matter even if she almost fell over a second year. 

Dean and Seamus found her really fast and gave her a huge hug, squishing her in between their bodies.

“She probably wants to breathe now,” Parvati said as she nudged one of the guys, helping Eliza get out of there.

“Thank you,” The brunette commented, rolling her green eyes at the childish antics of her friends.

“We were waiting for you in the train,” Dean started, Seamus suddenly sulking like a big baby.

Eliza wasn’t sure if she should take it seriously and genuinely feel bad or just shrug it off.

Suddenly, Seamus wrapped one arm around her shoulder and nudged her towards the Great Hall.

"Let's go stuff our faces first and then we'll tell you everything about the World Cup." 

For some reason, that sounded like a threat. 

Image

Thankfully, Hermione saved Eliza a spot between her and Neville. The green eyed witch looked so relieved that Neville automatically became confused. Seamus sat on Neville's right side and glowered at the green eyed witch with a smirk on his face. That was even more confusing for poor Neville.

The Sorting Ceremony took a while and Ron was complaining for the whole time. He wanted to eat already. When that was done and the feast began, Nearly Headless Nick came around and started to complain about Peeves, the castle's poltergeist. 

Eliza's attention was fully on the food and the comments thrown here and there by Dean and Seamus about the World Cup. Neville looked like he was trying to enjoy it but he looked sad that he couldn't go.

Once the feast was done, Dumbledore raised and spoke again.

“Well, now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement,” Dumbledore started as soon as everyone grabbed a seat. "This castle will not only be your home this year, but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts has been chosen-“

There was an interference. The doors opened widely and a man entered. He looked to be quite ragged and wet from the rain. He had a scowl and looked as unfriendly as possible. Even more interesting was one of his eyes, which was like a ball rolling around. 

"Right. This is your new Defense against the Dark Arts professor, Alastor Moody." 

Except Dumbledore and Hagrid, no one moved an inch or clapped for the new professor.

"Who again?" Eliza whispered, grabbing Hermione's attention.

"He's Mad Eye Moody. Half of the cells in Azkaban are full because of him." Ron answered not really caring if others heard him or not. 

“As I was saying, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event: The Triwizard Tournament. For those of you who do not know, The Triwizard Tournament brings together the biggest three magical schools of Europe for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete.” Dumbledore continued.

Eliza’s eyes were already glistening with enthusiasm, already imagining herself participating in such a big event.

“Now, let me be clear: if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint-hearted but more of that later. Our guests will come in October and will be here for most of the year. The selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money." 

That seemed to do the trick because almost everyone became interested in participating. Fred Weasley, especially, seemed more eager than anyone.

But Dumbledore continued, "Eager though I know all of you will be to bring the Triwizard Cup to Hogwarts," He said, "The Heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on contenders this year. Only students who are of age -that is to say, seventeen years or older- will be allowed to put forward their names for consideration." 

That was probably the moment Eliza's attention drifted from the subject. Whoever that impartial judge was, was someone close to Dumbledore so it would be impossible to go against him. 

That didn't seem to matter to the Weasley twins who were eager to attack the decision with a spell or even convince the judge through mysterious ways that they could enter. 

Once Dumbledore finished his speech, the tables emptied and students raised to go to bed. 

"Crazy business this Tournament," She heard Dean mumbled, "Eternal Glory and a thousand Galleons, though..." 

Everyone was genuinely considering entering the contest, no matter the age. 

"We have other things to worry about. Have you seen Professor Moody? Let's hope he won't end up with a personality like Professor Snape's," Neville mumbled feeling his whole body get colder at the thought. 

It was a known fact that Neville was terrified of Snape and the Potions professor loathed Gryffindors, giving preferential behavior to his house, Slytherins. 

"I would like to try." Eliza begun, startling the boys, "What? It sounds fun. Even if I don't make it to the end it would still be interesting,"

Seamus rolled his eyes, "But you were underage the last time I checked. You won't get through the impartial judge," He spoke, getting animated when he mentioned the judge.

They were already in the Common Room by then. Eliza waved him off and walked into her dormitory. Parvati and Lavender were already there, getting changed into their pajamas. 

"This year seems promising." The green eyed witch mumbled with a smile on her face. It was good to be back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image