‹ Prequel: Through Her Eyes
Status: Complete (Editing)

Thick Smoke

Risk

The moon raised high on the sky and illuminated the manor and the grounds around, especially the lawn which seemed never ending. The clouds hovered over the manor and every time the wind picked up or rain poured down, mist would cover the manor and hide the horizon from the eyes of those inside.

Eliza found herself in front of the window in the library, surrounded by books and house elves who were tidying it up quietly.  

Ever since she had that discussion with Snape a few days ago, Eliza’s been coming to the library every night. She'd stand in the same spot in front of the window and stare ahead with no expression whatsoever. Those green eyes darkened even more as reality settled in and she let go of the little hope she had.

That was how Draco found her one night, her hands hanging loosely alongside her body and eyes sore.

Unfortunately, Draco wasn’t the most fit person to tell her that everything will be alright because he knew those words were meaningless. Darkness was spreading throughout the whole world and nothing could stop Voldemort's ascendance.

“Potter was moved last night,” He announced walking closer, “Alastor Moody was killed in the process and one of the Weasley scu-brothers was wounded.” He informed her.

But Eliza only blinked and looked down at her hands; those long fingers were covered in blood even if it was only theoretically. She could have been there, protecting her friends but instead, she was confined in a cold house whose inhabitants were scared for their lives.

The blond sighed and ushered the house elves to leave.

“What do you think they are doing now?” He asked once they were left alone.

“He’s all alone.” She whispered.

It was amazing how tall she got over the years; she was almost one head smaller than him and she was incredibly thin after all the torture she’s been through. But she wasn’t complaining.

Draco sneered, “I doubt it. It seems there will be a wedding. In such dark times, a Weasley decides to marry. It doesn’t even surprise me with their-” He stopped when she hit him.

"At least someone’s still positive during the war.”

“Not for long.” His voice was full of sarcasm and irony and she was tired of it.

Eliza walked towards the door with a heavy heart and heavy steps. Once she entered her room, she took a long look around and sighed. She was so, so lonely.

Image

Draco left early next morning saying that he needed to buy stuff for Hogwarts. He wandered the streets of Diagon Alley, a light chill going down his spine when he noticed that every store that used to brighten his childhood was either closed or destroyed. It was a bad sight and the silence was spreading quickly.

He wanted to buy something for her, especially because she looked like she needed something to brighten up her mood. The blond sneered at the silly store of the Weasley twins and passed it quickly. 

Going down the street, he was wondering what exactly Eliza liked. He never asked her anything personal and he didn't even help her during those three months of terror. His family have literally become prisoners into their own house and no one was allowed to get Eliza off the propriety.

While being immersed in his thoughts, Draco ignored his surroundings and the person following him from the shadows. The shock came when the blond was pushed against the wall in a darker corner of the same street, right across Olivander's.

"Where is she?" It was the husky voice of a man who's been working too much.

Draco glanced over his shoulder but couldn't see much. The man turned him around and pointed the tip of his wand against his pale neck.

"Where is Eliza?"

Remus Lupin looked even worse than the last time Draco saw him in Hogwarts. His hair was getting grey around his temples and he looked even worse than his father.

Remus searched for Eliza everywhere and even if he forced himself to believe in her, she was still just a child in his eyes. He couldn't help but shiver at the thought that she might be harmed. Remus had Tonks now and the love and comfort coming from his newly wife was amazing but it wasn't the same parental love he was feeling for Eliza. Ever since Dumbledore died and Eliza's disappeared, Remus has been having nightmares and they were terrible.

Seeing Draco wander alone, he knew he had to grasp the chance and question him.

"It's been a long time, professor. I was wondering how the full moon is treating you these days." The blond snarled.

Remus was usually a patient, calm man but having the son of a Death Eater sneer at him was pissing him off.

"I don't believe you are aware that I can take you in front of the Order and torture you for answers." Remus threatened, pushing the tip against his skin.

Draco’s eyes widened, measuring his options before responding, "She's alive, in my home. She is not in any danger but the house is enchanted and she can't leave." He whispered, watching Lupin's face soften.

"Why is he keeping her there?"

Draco raised an eyebrow and chuckled bemusedly, realizing that Remus and the Order didn't know anything about Ophelia.

"To keep her away from you, obviously." He mumbled, deciding to keep the rest to himself, "Everyone knows she will run to Potter's side as soon as she gets the chance."

Remus opened his mouth but stopped before doing anything reckless. 

"Fine." 

The werewolf let the blond go before leaning against the wall himself, rubbing his face. At least he knew Eliza was alive but getting her out of the Malfoy manor had to be planned out carefully.

Image

Eliza was in the library, rather early since she'd usually go there when she was sure the room was engulfed in darkness. For some reason, she wanted to see the sunrise, even if it wasn't very clear through the heavy dark clouds.
 
She noticed another shadow elongate alongside hers and said, "I thought you're leaving for Hogwarts today."

The blond closed the door and sat next to her. Suddenly, he wrapped a hand around her waist and pulled her into his chest.

She was ready to make a remark when he started to speak, "Remus Lupin questioned me today in Diagon Alley." He whispered in her hair.

She froze, "What did you tell him?" She mumbled in his chest, placing her hands on his chest.

"Why does it matter?"

She hit his chest and squirmed out of his grasp, "He is my godfather, of course it matters." She hissed, breathing heavily just thinking about what Remus was going through, "Anyway, how did he look?"

"He looked worn out."

She rubbed her eyes and sighed, taking a seat on the nearest armchair before fidgeting thoughtfully.

"Look, Eliza, if you want I can tell them you are alive but nothing more. I can't be seen around the likes of-" He stopped for a moment before continuing, "Anyway, I should get going now."

He was ready to leave when Eliza's head snapped up. She jolted on her feet, wrapping her hands around Draco's back.

"Thank you." She mumbled in the fabric of his sweater.

But Draco was experiencing warmth that he never felt before. His heart skipped a bit only thinking she was hugging him without one of them being wounded or sick.

Image

As soon as Draco left, Narcissa took it upon herself to keep Eliza company. She would drag Eliza out of her room, telling her stories about the Black family. None mattered to Eliza but seeing how Narcissa was willing, the brunette asked what she was curious about. 

"What about Ophelia. Wasn't your husband her loyal best friend?"

Narcissa stopped whatever she was drinking and put the cup down slowly.

"Ophelia had a soft spot for Sirius' younger brother, Regulus. That's mainly how Lucius met her, during a meeting of Slytherins eager to become Death Eaters."

"But Ophelia already knew Tom; he raised her so she knew exactly what kind of treatment they will get."

"I suppose she did," Narcissa mumbled coldly, making a sign to a house elf to come pour her more tea before cleaning the room.

"You never wanted it, have you? You were scared of him. You still are. Voldemort terrifies you and that is why I am here. I am her replacement, willing to save you because I want to defy him." 

Narcissa glared at the young brunette but couldn't deny her words. 

"Ophelia was a tortured child, manipulated into believing everything he'd tell her. He had her in the palm of his hand and the blood connection was just his way to keep her submissive. I was there when she told Lucius that she preferred Potter's bright vision instead of her father's. I was there when Sirius presented Ophelia to our family as his lover." Narcissa said.

Eliza leaned in, curiosity getting the best of her, "How did they react?"

"Ophelia Gaunt's existence was a secret and Sirius told everyone that she was a mud-blood. My aunt reacted negatively and banned Ophelia from entering the house ever again. A few days later, Sirius ran away and Ophelia was sent away."

"But what about Lucius and Ophelia?"

Narcissa scoffed, "There wasn't anything but friendship. Lucius never looked at Ophelia as more than a friend. Every young Death Eater knew that she was the one who could offer them protection in front of the Dark Lord. All of them approached her at some point."

"Then how could she know who was a friend and who was a fraud?"

The woman shrugged, "She couldn't. She had to risk."

"What about the memories, then? What's so important that Voldemort is being so agreeable?" Eliza asked, watching Narcissa intensely.

The woman in front of her looked down at her lap before raising his eyes to the green eyed witch. Eliza looked a lot like her mother and Narcissa was surprised she could be so calm around her. 

"Ophelia Gaunt witnessed many murders, not all the Dark Lord's. He raised her for his own private purposes but he didn't foresee her betrayal. She was willing to be like him, she wanted to until she entered Hogwarts."

"She wasn't like him, then. He must have been disappointed." Eliza said, playing with the hem of her shirt. "Was Lillian a Gryffindor as well?" 

"I don't know. No one does but Ophelia and the Dark Lord. Some say she never went to Hogwarts and learned everything from her cousin." Narcissa said softly, remembering she had been banned to discuss that topic by the Dark Lord himself. 

"How do I unlock these memories?" Eliza asked after a few minutes of silence.

"The one who enchanted it has to break it himself or die. Even then, it's not clear what can happen. Your mind will be overflown with another's memories and you might get confused."

Eliza chuckled darkly, feeling her fingers tingle irritably, "I'll go insane, isn't it? That's just another risk my mother so kindly took." 
♠ ♠ ♠
Came quicker than expected.

Thank you for the comments once again and I hope you like this as much as I do!

Image