‹ Prequel: Through Her Eyes
Status: Complete (Editing)

Thick Smoke

The End

Inside Hogwarts, the battle was even more gruesome. Eliza was walking up the stairs when she stopped and turned around in time to block Bellatrix’s curse.

“Out and about, aren't we~” The crazed woman started, taking one step closer, “How polite of you to show up and get killed with the rest. The Dark Lord will definitely praise me for doing what should have been done a long time ago.” Her eyes widened a bit in excitement as she took another step towards Eliza.

The young witch scoffed, “Fine then. Go on and kill me,” She was out of her mind to taunt someone like Bellatrix.

“Who am I to disagree?” Bellatrix sung happily, pointing her wand at Eliza, “Avad-“

“Expelliarmus!”

Both women were startled by the sudden interruption. The blond kept his wand pointed at his aunt as he pulled Eliza into his arms.

“Somehow, it doesn’t surprise me, Draco.” Bellatrix started with a disappointed expression as she bent to grab her wand, “You fell in her charms just like your father did. These emotions you feel for her are nothing but lies.”

Draco glared at his aunt, “Don’t kill her. The Dark Lord was clear when he ordered us to bring her to him alive."

Bellatrix scoffed but didn’t have the opportunity to take action as Voldemort’s voice spread over the grounds once again.

“You have fought,” said the high, cold voice, “valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured.

I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour.”  He finished dramatically, adding more fear to those who survived.

Bellatrix chuckled and waved before she Disapparated.

Eliza watched as the grounds emptied and everything left behind was guilt and regret. She rested her head on Draco’s shoulder and sighed in relief.

“I really thought she was going to kill me.” She mumbled, rubbing her forehead. 

She felt like she should take a seat because her head was dizzy.

“She was. She hates you enough to ignore Voldemort’s orders,” The blond started, helping her walk down before they sat on the stairs, “He did order my father to bring you to him. He wants you to see him kill the last hope you have.”

Eliza looked up at her crush as she finally registered what happened that night; everything that’s happened. She’s been driven by vengeful thoughts and she didn’t notice that she’s actually been hit a few times: her leg was bleeding while her back was scratched badly. It was probably the adrenaline that numbed the pain but it hurt like heck now that she's calmed down.

“Remus is dead,” She remembered, tears forming in her eyes once again, “My father figure is dead. My real father is dead, as well. What do I have left?” By now she was already sobbing and hid her crying face in the crook of his neck.

Draco frowned as he could only hug her silently. It became really silent.

The wound in her leg was pretty bad and reached her bone but that was nothing compared to the corpses brought in the Great Hall. Madame Pomfrey wrapped her leg in bandages and assured Eliza that she was going to be fine. That opinion changed immediately when they brought Remus and Tonks’s dead bodies; it was really hard to control her emotions, especially with the Weasleys crying their loss.

Image

Many heroes died in the battle of Hogwarts and many had no idea what they got themselves into.

Ron and Hermione entered the Great Hall, the ginger going to his brother while Herrmione wrapping her hands around Ginny. Harry saw Eliza sitting by herself, her eyes locked on two corpses: Remus and Tonks were together even in death.

“What were you two thinking?” Eliza muttered, fidgeting nervously since the sorrow was amplifying her magic.

"Liz, Snape...is dead. He was killed by the snake Nagini." Hermione informed her, feeling like it was important for her to know.

“He’s never been an enemy to me, you know. He protected me and taught me a lot more than you think." Eliza mumbled, looking down at her hands.

A sudden ache in the back of her head made her stumble to the side. It started soft but became harsher and stronger. Eliza had to close her eyes because she was tearing up and her whole mind was breaking. Then Eliza had a sudden thought: Snape enchanted the labyrinth in her mind. He was dead so the charm broke. 

It was the same memory from her childhood, the one that she supposedly created as an illusion for what happened to her mother. This time, Eliza could see it clearly. The woman laughing was definitely not her mother but her grandmother. She was a short woman with green eyes and bright red hair.

Ophelia looked a lot like Eliza when she was young but had shorter hair and was chubbier. She was definitely not 4 years old but a bit older, around 7 years old probably.

Eliza looked up and saw dark clouds gathering over the village. Lillian told Ophelia to enter the house and Eliza saw the same pieces of memory unfold.

Once Voldemort arrived, Eliza realized he didn’t have any Death Eaters following him. He wasn’t wearing a cloak either and he looked more humane than she imagined.

“How did you find me?” Lillian asked in a very thick Scottish accent.

“I see you have been very busy, Lillian. This house has every possible protection around it.” Tom said, looking at the walls before turning his attention on her. “Very impressive, I must say.”

Lillian looked nothing but afraid. Before her was the man that pretty much raised her, the one who she fell in love with and had a child with. It didn’t matter that he planned everything because she was just as much of a Dark Wizard as he was.

“How did you find me, Tom? The Charm-“

“Your little friend, the Peverell, he told me where you are. You didn’t choose your Secret Keeper wisely, cousin.” He responded, his eyes narrowing at the woman. “Now, where is my daughter?”

“What have you done with Vernon?” She changed the subject, hoping she could buy more time.

Tom sighed, “He might be still alive. Now my daughter. Where is Ophelia?”

Lillian’s eyes widened and pointed her hand at her cousin. Tom chuckled bemusedly, taking one step towards her. His grasp around his wand tightened but the door towards his left cracked open and Ophelia’s chubby face appeared from behind it.

“Go back inside, Ophelia! This man-this man-“

With one simple sway of his wand, the woman known as Lillian Gaunt was dead. Ophelia gasped and ran back inside the room. She knew there was a secret compartment in the dresser and hid in there.

“Wherever you go, I will find you. Rest assured, Ophelia, your place by my side is irreplaceable.” He breathed out.

Ophelia ended up in an orphanage in Birmingham where she had to hide the fact that she could do magic. Much like Eliza imagined, her mother was a troublesome child and would get intro trouble for messing around with the other children. 

“Are you sure you want to adopt her? She’s a bit peculiar.” The nurse whispered to a man who was twice her height.

The man nodded and Ophelia went along. She became Ophelia Molley and her life changed. Eliza watched as Ophelia’s next years were greater than she could imagine until one day, in the park.

“Do I know you?” Asked a 10 years old Ophelia.

There was a man watching her from afar as she was playing with other children in the playground. He beckoned her closer and smiled suavely.

“You don’t remember me, do you, Ophelia?” He asked softly.

The girl shook her head, confused. “Should I?”

Those empty eyes of Tom Riddle Jr softened only a tiny bit at the sight of his daughter. Ophelia was definitely different from what he imagined her to be: she was witty, stubborn and held a desire to control everyone and everything around her. She was much more like him than she was like Lillian and it pleased him. He could see it in her eyes, the crave to affirm herself. 

Tom's smile shifted into a smirk and he said something that earned Ophelia’s trust right away.

“You can do great things, can’t you? Things that your friends or parents cannot.” He whispered, her green eyes widening.

"I don't know what you mean, mister."

But Tom grasped his wand and made flowers appear around her. She squeaked in delight and looked up at him with those green eyes of hers. 

"I can teach you how to do it too but you have to keep it a secret. When time comes, your guardians will understand." 

And they definitely did. Richard and Gloria Molley welcomed the news with delight and did everything in their power to help their daughter. Ophelia was happy, especially when her Hogwarts letter arrived but there was something missing; someone was missing.  

Ophelia's memories swirled through Eliza's mind and stopped on the day she had to leave for Hogwarts. Unlike her daughter, Ophelia was talkative and brave and she was talking to anyone she could lay her eyes on. One of those was Remus Lupin but the first friend Ophelia made was Severus Snape.

"What house do you suppose you'll get sorted in?" Snape asked, his child version looking pretty much like Eliza expected. 

"I don't know. I read about Hogwarts and the four houses but I don't know what type of person I am." She responded bluntly. 

Lily James was there as well, right next to Snape and she said, "Gryffindor would be a good choice, don't you think?" 

Ophelia noticed the sneer on Snape's face at the mention of Gryffindor but didn't say anything. 

In the end, Ophelia was sorted in Gryffindor, with Lily, while Snape went to Slytherin. However, unlike what the Sorting Hat decided, Ophelia had the personality of a Slytherin. 

Memories of Opehlia fighting Slytherins in the favor of mud-bloods were very rare. She was silently watching from the back and wouldn't mutter a word, not even when the victim was Lily. Potions was a hard subject that she really hated and just like mentioned before, Slughorn was being very harsh on her. 

"He hates me." Young Ophelia told Snape while they were doing homework in the library. 

Snape sighed and looked at her for a while before taking her notebook and writing on it. 

"That's my diary! What are you doing?" She asked, her eyes widening in confusion.

"Helping you pass." 

He copied down everything. He was the one who wrote the notes in Ophelia's diary and he did it to help her. 

As she grew, Ophelia grabbed the eye of young Lucius Malfoy, who was a prefect back then. During the same period -her second year at Hogwarts- she started corresponding with Tom. She didn't forget him and he definitely didn't forget her. Just like he promised, Tom would help her whenever he could. After she finished her second year, Ophelia went back to Birmingham only to find her parents dead. From then on, she started to rely only on Tom. She spent almost every summer and every holiday break with him and he taught her magic above Hogwarts, a kind of magic that was giving her confidence. 

One little impediment was Sirius Black. During their third year, Sirius Black saw Ophelia do magic without a wand and she noticed Remus Lupin's personal problem. They made a deal: as long as she would hang around them, they will not tell about her to anyone. Sirius did use Confundus with her during a Halloween party where he bet with Potter that she would accept his invitation. Malfoy was mad but that night, she met Regulus Black.

"You're her, aren't you? The Dark Lord's protegee." He asked, being suspiciously right. 

"What do you mean? What Dark Lord?" She asked, confused and curious.

And she found out the truth about Tom. He was calling himself Lord Voldemort, the Dark Lord, the You-Know-Who but for her, he was always simply Tom. Her years in Hogwarts were moving really fast; the difference between Ophelia pre-Marauders and Ophelia with the Marauders was amazing. It was her fifth year and the deal turned into a wonderful friendship, especially with Sirius. She was smiling so much and she started to spend less and less time thinking about the Dark Arts.

“You like him, don’t you? That good for nothing Sirius Black!” Snape snapped at her but she looked very calm.

“I do. There’s something about him, something that I can’t explain. He gets me, Sev.” She said, genuinely in love with Sirius.

Snape scoffed but once Ophelia confronted Lucius Malfoy about the same subject, he looked ready to jinx someone.

“He’s not good for you! What do you think the Dark Lord will say when he’ll find out?!” Lucius screamed, his eyes flaring with anger and jealousy.

“He won’t. I don’t plan to tell him anything about my friends.” She said, looking down at her hands.

And she didn’t. Ophelia met with Tom every break and her relationship with Malfoy broke piece by piece. He was angry but he could see her only during breaks. Lucius was older and his so called respect for Tom was overwhelming. He wasn't the only one and that worried Ophelia. Regulus Black became the motive for fights between her and Sirius or even her and Snape.

"Let him be! Being a follower is not bad and you know it. He gave you power, didn't he?" Snape asked, his eyes gleaming at the mention of Voldemort.

Ophelia looked down and thought about her life for the next weeks. Then she got a sudden present from Tom, a Slytherin ring -not Slytherin's but good enough- and she loved it until she found out about Morfin Gaunt. She searched for answers and Dumbledore sent her to Morfin's house where she found the truth about Tom and the Resurrection Stone. 

"Are you sure it's there?" Dumbledore asked when she reported back to him. 

She nodded, "What if he finds it? He doesn't share but he has big plans." 

"Don't be afraid, Ophelia. Just because Tom is your father doesn't mean you are the same." Dumbledore said softly, words that Eliza heard before.

"You're wrong. I am just like him and it doesn't even bother me. I feel...content." She said, trying to explain her feelings.

There were many memories involving her admiration for her father. It went so far that when the war ensued and Voldemort asked for her to become part of him, she accepted. She accepted for him to place a part of his soul into her and make her a horcrux. 

Then everything broke when she finished studies. She moved with the Malfoys, to Lucius’ joy but she wasn’t happy. She was ready to give anything just to protect her friends, especially Regulus. As the war was creating so much pain and loss, she decided to not betray her friends. She became part of the Order of the Phoenix even if Dumbledore knew she was a risk. She didn't tell Voldemort anything but she didn't tell the Order either. 

“Reg, I know you want to be a follower but you don’t know him. You’re going to suffer more than you can imagine. Death Eaters are not friends, they’re slaves. He doesn’t see them as anything but goods that he can get rid of.” 

“You’re there.” Regulus mumbled. “He doesn’t see you like that.”

“Reg, he’s my father but not even once he told me he cares. He calls me his relative, his needed companion because truthfully, he doesn’t want anyone to know he’s got a daughter.”

“But he won’t kill you.” He added, growing angry with the way she was acting.

Then the memories came back to that moment she dreamed before. Ophelia got locked into the attic because she refused what was crucial for Voldemort.

“I don’t want to be the horcrux anymore. I want a normal life.” She bluntly admitted, looking into Voldemort’s eyes.

He looked mad for a moment before he glanced at her tummy, “You’re bearing a child.”

Ophelia’s eyes widened and she licked her lips nervously. “It’s not Lucius’. He has a very healthy marriage with Narcissa.”

Voldemort’s eyes rose to her face and raised an eyebrow, “I suppose it’s another Black?” He asked, knowing he was right. “Well, then it seems like you don’t have to be the horcrux after all. I want the child.”

“No.” She said firmly, her eyes narrowing at her father.

That answer resulted into a lot fights and Voldemort wasn't being careful that she was his daughter. There was war both outside and inside the house and Voldemort was growing more annoyed with Ophelia.

She was already pregnant in four months when she got a visitor.

“Severus!” She screamed and wrapped his arms around her old friend. “I’m so happy you’re here. You have to help me.”

“It’s about the child, isn’t it? The Dark Lord always gets what he wants, Ophelia.” He said with a sneer at the bump.

“I’ve been talking to Sirius and we decided Dumbledore will help protect my baby. As long as there’s a Gaunt alive, Tom will never find a way to become immortal.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure. He knows much more than you and I combined.”

“But I have something that I’ve been searching for a long time.” She said with a sly smile.

Snape’s eyes widened, “You found it? The Resurrection Stone?”

“Peverell told my mother about it. It's in the old house. I told Dumbledore about it when I found out Tom is my father, a few years ago. He will never find it.”

Snape’s surprised died quickly as his eyes fell over her bump again. “What is that you want from me?”

“Be my Secret Keeper. I’ll hide in my mother's house, in Ireland.”

The memory led to the night she fled from the house with the help of Regulus Black. She left everything behind and flew with Regulus to a nice, silent village where most people were muggles. She turned to Regulus and hugged him tightly.

“You were right.” He whispered, “There’s nothing left once you take this path.” Regulus continued sorrowfully.

Ophelia grabbed his cheeks and smiled sadly, “At least you’ll be an uncle.”

Regulus chuckled and kissed her cheek before he left. The door to the small house opened and Snape ushered her in.

Then, a few months later, Snape entered her room with a frown.

“He knows you’re here. You have to leave now!”

She fled but Death Eaters came after her. Lucius Malfoy confuded some so she could get away but Voldemort was a different story.

And then the same house came into sight and Eliza finally understood. Snape, Lucius and Regulus. They were Ophelia’s family,  her support during dark times because no matter how much she was sneaking around to help the Order, she could never give away information to neither side. Ophelia was somewhere in the middle and she could never escape without disappointing one side.

“If he gains her thrust, it will all be over. He will kill her, he will find out about the prophecy, the Order, everything! Most importantly, he’ll find the Resurrection Stone and come back.”

“Then lock it away. Enough of us suffered.” Snape said angrily, glaring at her baby bump.

Ophelia rubbed her tummy gently and smiled. “Take her away. I’d like if you could take her to Remus. I know it will never be safe with you Severus. You’re too close to him; too close to death.” She said, noticing Snape’s offended expression.

“If that’s what you want.” He mumbled, visibly not happy with her choices.

Ophelia sighed and looked down at her hands, “Where is Reg? What happened to him?”

“The Dark Lord tortured him for hours but he didn’t betray you. He left before I did.” Snape responded, sitting next to her. “He will kill you.” He said it like it was nothing but Eliza noticed the slight flinch of his hand.

“No matter what happens to me, Eliza has to survive.”

Snape raised an eyebrow, “Eliza?”

Ophelia nodded, her eyes shining when speaking of her baby, “Sirius chose the name and I quite like it. He’ll come as soon as the Potters are safe.”

But Sirius didn’t come and Ophelia died all alone by the hand of her father.


“Eliza?”

Eliza felt like she’s been driven through the story of a muggle adventure book. All that love, hurt, disappointment and pain; they all just fell over her and engulfed her completely. Eliza started to cry, overwhelmed by her mother’s story but also her own story.

Image

“Are you alright, dear?” McGonagall asked Eliza, seeing her cry on the bench in front of Remus and Tonks. 

Surprisingly enough, McGonagall wrapped her hands around her student and sighed.

 “You will be fine, Black. You are strong enough to get over this.”

“I’m tired, professor,” Eliza whispered, feeling coldness spread through her heart. "I'm so tired."

“Do not speak like that to me, Black. You are just like your father, causing trouble wherever you go.” She started firmly.

Eliza rolled her eyes as the professor let her go, “Thank you, professor. It cheered me up,”

“I’m serious, Black. You still have a great number of friends who care about you.” She encouraged her student, smiling a bit since it suddenly became awkward.

“Liz!” Seamus ran over and hugged her, “Oh sorry professor,” He mumbled when he realized McGonagall was still there. 

That was a great interruption that was supporting McGonagall’s affirmation.

The Transfiguration professor nodded at Eliza and left to tend to someone else’s heart. On the other side, Seamus was still hugging her.

“You can let me go now,” She mumbled, awkwardly patting his back.

“By the way, your kitten,” He started once he did let go, “He’s wounded but something is very wrong about it. Madame Pomfrey didn’t sound very positive when she checked his condition.”

“Where is he?”

Seamus walked to a table and grabbed the black kitten carefully, bringing it to Eliza and placing him on the bench, “He has two legs broken and his ear’s been splinched.”

The brunette sighed and licked her lips before bright blue sparkles erupted from her fingers; she pointed her hand at the black kitten and the animagus was forced to change back to his humans form, drawing McGonagall’s full attention.

“Vernon Peverell,” She mumbled when she saw his dimples and ginger hair; the rest of the teachers seemed as surprised as she was.

“All this time I thought he was killed by Tom,” Slughorn whispered, awestruck that one of his best Gryffindor students was actually alive and looked the same.

He opened his green eyes and winced, “Pain is not as bad when I’m a kitten,” He mumbled, his legs hurting like nothing before.

“Shut up and let Madame Pomfrey attend to you. You should be glad you’re alive,” Eliza sneered, shutting him up right away.

“I am not sure if he looks like your brother or like a Weasley,” Seamus commented from the side, getting hit by Eliza when sprouting such nonsense.

“I remember. I remember everything.” She said once Seamus left. “You’ve been waiting for her in Clifden ever since Lillian died. You knew she’ll go back but just like before, you couldn’t save her. That’s why you came to me.” Eliza muttered, wiping the tears off her cheeks with her sleeve.

Vernon blinked twice before he understood what Eliza meant. He sighed and limped towards her, wrapping a hand around her shoulders.

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled in her air, “I wasn’t strong enough to defy Tom. Lillian and Ophelia, they died because of me. The house in Ireland was my idea and I couldn’t keep my vow to your family.”

Vernon was feeling better and he was being very talkative, especially with Slughorn and McGonagall, who were his favorite professors at Hogwarts during his years.

“Liz!” Eliza’s head snapped towards the door, seeing Hermione there, looking like she went through Hell, “Have you seen Harry?” She continued when Eliza moved closer.

“No.”

Hermione frowned, “What if he went in the Forest?"

Eliza didn't care anymore. It was too much pain.

Image

Walking through the ruins, Eliza wondered what to do with her life from now on. If Harry was smart and Vernon was speaking the true back in Aberforth’s house, Albus Dumbledore gave the Resurrection Stone to Harry in one way or another. 

Now, what was she going to do with Vernon Peverell? She couldn’t speak to him like they have been friends from the moment Remus bought him; blimey, he was an animagus and could easily go places now that he could change back and forth.

Another problem was Remus’ house and the plans for their burial; at least she had their bodies unlike her father’s. She was planning on burying them in a peaceful place and she was going to make sure that their names will never be forgotten.

And then there was Ophelia's mind. What was Eliza going to do with her memories? Everyone involved with her died except one.

“Why aren’t you with your friends?” The blond came right at the most opportune moment, like always.

She turned around and linked her arms behind her, “How can you have such good timing?”

Draco raised an eyebrow and walked to her, the Slytherin ring she gave him securely in his hand.

“I presume Potter left already?” He changed the subject and stopped in front of her.

Eliza blinked, her mother's memories placing her own life in a different perspective.

“What will you do after it’s over? What will we do?" She asked.

“Don’t speak nonsense,” He hissed, “Voldemort will kill Potter and send us-“

She shook her head, “No, no, Malfoy. We both know that’s not the case anymore, not after you stayed back.”

The blond frowned, mostly because she was right and he’s been avoiding that.

“What will happen to us then?” He asked, looking down at her, waiting for her to give the solution.

“Maybe you should marry and have children after everything’s over. To each other or to different people, I don't judge." Vernon’s voice interrupted their discussion, the ginger man standing in the door frame, leaning on one of his legs.

“You did give me a ring.” Draco teased her but she didn't sketch a smile.

“Then give it back to me.” She commented coldly, reaching out for it.

It was a surprise when Draco placed it in her palm.

Vernon rolled his eyes and started to mumble something, grabbing the attention of Ron who called Hermione out. A few more students walked behind him.

“Only if the past woudn't interfere all the time, life would be easier.” Vernon muttered, reffering to his own past. 

Ron’s eyes widened yet Hermione kind of saw it coming after the Yule Ball. The bond between Eliza and Draco was running deeper than it should and they were both aware there was a line they shouldn't cross.

“What happened?” Seamus asked, confused since he had not seen Eliza and Draco speak to each other properly before.

Hermione smiled softly, “A lot can happen in six months.” She mumbled, confusing Seamus even more.

Image

“So, there will be a wedding after the war ends.” She flinched, surprised that George Weasley was speaking to her after his twin brother died.

“No, not exactly. He only returned my ring, nothing else,” She answered, looking anywhere but his face, “I’m sorry for your loss, George.”

George chuckled and leaned back, “I’m sorry too. I heard Dolohov killed Remus and Bellatrix killed Tonks. It’s so messed up.”

Eliza nodded, “I guess. We should never let people forget them; they have been heroes and died like heroes.”

George nodded, biting the tears back, “Let’s hope Harry kills Voldemort once and for all.”

Eliza frowned and looked down at her fidgeting hands; once and for all didn’t sound well after Voldemort’s threat.

“As long as you live, my blood will continue to flow through the world of the living. As long as you exist, there will always be a piece of me lurking in the darkness, waiting to be released.”

She shuddered, hearing him hiss those words in her ear even now.

Image

“They’re coming!” Someone alerted. 

With small steps, the living fighters walked into the courtyard, afraid of what they were about to see. Eliza kept close to the walls before Hermione grabbed her hand and nodded, encouraging each other.

“Who’s that Hagrid’s carrying? No, NO!” Ginny sounded broken. Hermione and Ron were just as bad. More voices screamed and cried while some even yelled profanities at the Death Eaters. 

Voldemort’s eyes trailed over every face before he stopped on Eliza’s green eyes; she looked bad, dirty and hurt. She chose the wrong side to fight for and he was angry that she betrayed him.

“SILENCE! It’s over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!” Voldemort announced, pleased that one of two has been done.

Ginny didn’t take it well at all; no one did. Eliza walked closer, her eyes narrowing at the body in Hagrid’s hands. It did look like Harry and Eliza grabbed Seamus hand when reality hit her. It was over for them, for the whole world. 

“Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!”

Eliza shuddered and leaned almost her entire body on Seamus. She was going to die and Voldemort will have access to her mind before sunrise. 

“He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds,” said Voldemort, and there was relish in his voice for the lie, “killed while trying to save himself—”

Eliza couldn't quite believe that and she wasn't the only one. Someone broke the silence and launched at the Dark Lord yet got immobilized fast. 

“And who is this?” he said in his soft snake’s hiss. “Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?”

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh.

“It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?”

Bellatrix was having the time of her life, laughing louder than the rest. Eliza glanced at Draco but he wouldn’t look at her so she turned to Vernon, who was in the back leaning against Luna. He was frowning at everything happening in front of his eyes. 

“Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks. You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom.”

“I’ll join you when hell freezes over,” said Neville.“Dumbledore’s Army!” he shouted, and there was an answering cheer from the crowd, whom Voldemort’s Silencing Charms seemed unable to hold.

“Very well,” The Dark Lord continued bemusedly before waving his wand, something flying through the window and straight into Voldemort's hand,  “There will be no more Sorting at Hogwarts School. There will be no more Houses. The emblem, shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won’t they, Neville Longbottom?”

The snake pointed his wand at the boy, making him rigid like a rock before placing the hat over Neville's head, being so big that it fell over his eyes. Afterwards, he set it on fire. Screams erupted from Neville and Eliza was frozen in shock, like more students. 

Sudden noise came from afar before a yell came from the forest. Eliza's eyes widened and her whole body seemed to remember why she was there and what she was fighting for. It wasn't only about Harry, it was about all the lives Voldemort took and the pain brought to so many in the world. 

"The centaurs..." She heard Seamus mutter in awe. 

Indeed the commotion was granted to the centaurs, who joined the fight against evil. Then, something amazing happened. Neville moved and under everyone's eyes, he killed Nagini with the Gryffindor sword.

"Where did he get it from?" Eliza whispered, regaining her balance and strength. 

"That-that was the last," Hermione mumbled, grabbing Eliza's wrist. "That was the last horcrux." She added, knowing that it didn't matter anymore if Eliza knew or not. 

Actually, now that she remembered, "Where is Harry?" She asked, not seeing the boy anymore at Voldemort's feet. 

Hagrid noticed it too but the fight already begun. Thestrals came out of nowhere and attacked the giants thus forcing the wizards inside the castle. Vernon found Eliza and pulled her closer, backing into the Entrance Hall. 

“Your chevalier abandoned us. I can't see him anywhere.” Peverell mumbled between fighting some nasty looking guy and trying to keep his balance with two wounded legs.

Eliza bit her lip and looked to her right before killing all of them in rage.

Vernon stopped and grinned sheepishly, “Remind me not to disappoint you; like ever,” He said seriously, pushing some strangers away before using transfiguration to change them into larvae.

“Where is Harry?” She asked through that awful mess; she couldn’t see anything with so many dark wizards surrounding them.

“Let’s make this easier,” Vernon told her to get back as his eyes glistened playfully, “Incendio!” He screamed, the fire blasting from his wand being incredibly powerful; it actually took the shape of a dragon as it chased the wizards away, burning some of them.

“That guy is amazing!” She heard George scream while fighting a few feet from them.

Eliza chuckled, “It kind of reminded me of your little joke during Umbridge’s reign.”

George laughed and nodded, “Good times!”

Eliza nodded and used several spells she learned from her father in order to trick her enemies before she ran to help George and Ginny.

“Remember Furvus? The cat you used to pick up girls during my second year at Hogwarts?”

George laughed and nodded, “What about him?”

Eliza pointed at the ginger man who was fighting against wizards like he was playing a game, chuckling to himself every time he would find mistakes in their technique.

“That’s Furvus!” She said, even Ginny gaping at the news, “His real name is Vernon Peverell.”

“Like in the three Peverell brothers?” Ginny asked, still startled.

Eliza nodded and hit someone who was coming at Ginny from behind. Suddenly, she felt something flinch in her and she looked towards the Great Hall. Vernon saw  her lean on her knees and ran to her side.

"The memories...they're echoing through my mind. Lillian, Ophelia, even dad, I can hear these vocies screaming." She said before flinching once more.

Vernon looked around and saw Voldemort backing off into the Great Hall. He looked scared and was giving directions to his followers. 

"He's weak and you can feel it. Ophelia's memories are merging with yours and it affects you just as much as it affects her." He explained, patting her softly while looking out for any Death Eaters. 

"Take her out then! Take her out of my mind!" Eliza hissed, glaring at Vernon.

"I can't. No one can. I'm sorry. This is really old magic, very powerful too." 

Eliza gritted her teeth and tried to overcome the aftermath of knowing what she had been searching for. Breathing in and out slowly and regularly seemed to do the trick for the moment. Once she regained control, she felt Vernon pull her into the Great Hall. There, in the middle were Voldemort and Harry Potter. She couldn't hear what they were saying, not with all the wizards surrounding them, fighting. She saw Dolohov and rushed towards him but Professor Flitwick killed him before she could get there. Instead, she got hit when she jumped in front of Seamus. 

"Can you please just stay still? I can't take care of myself, thank you very much!" He screamed at her, not being seriously angry. 

Eliza chuckled, getting on her feet with his help. "I'm fine. This is quite fun, actually." 

Dolohov was dead. Bellatrix was dead as well thanks to Mrs. Weasley's temper and left was Voldemort himself. Harry was alive and he only had to kill him for the war to be over. Voldemort couldn't accept that a boy could have so much power, that he could overtake the great Dark Lord. But Harry's strength was in love while Tom's was in pride. Those two were so different and could either destroy or save but never both. That was the reason Tom Riddle became blind to what he could have. Lillian Gaunt loved him and then Ophelia Gaunt admired him and accepted him but he drove them away because he didn't want to be tied up to anyone. He was selfish and he paid for it.

Eliza watched with wide eyes as Harry Potter succeeded. 

Voldemort was dead. The war was over and they won.

Image

“It hurts so bloody much~” Vernon whined as Madame Pomfrey adjusted his bandages.

“Just like when you were a student, Peverell.” The nurse chuckled, helping him up once she was done.

The ginger raised an eyebrow bemusedly, “Now, now, Poppy. I’m older than you.”

“You are older than everyone here without doubt,” Eliza stated loud enough for him to understand she wasn’t complimenting him, “You are fine unlike others.” She lowered her voice, glancing at the Weasley family who could finally mourn in peace.

“What will you do now? I see three blond heads but I'm not sure it's time for you to go there yet."  He said, blinking innocently.

She rubbed her neck and looked around before she shrugged, “I’m not sure that's bad. With everything that’s happened I would like to live a modest life for a while.”

“Modest life or muggle life?” Vernon questioned further, “If you need, I can accompany you Eliza.”

She scrunched her nose and shook her head, “You are a bit too handsome for your age. I’d appreciate someone who wouldn’t draw attention.”

He remained dumbstruck at her blunt opinion, “What-Are you-Even-“ He was speechless.

“There is enough time. At least now, I can live without being afraid of my past or Ophelia's past. It seems like I won't go crazy just yet."

She smiled at what was her former kitten and walked to Harry with a wide smile. Peace was finally settling in.

1 Year Later

One year passed faster than every year at Hogwarts combined. Maybe it was the new life or the fact that Voldemort was finally gone but the world seemed to have blossomed. 

Eliza has always loved Christmas because it was that one holiday family would gather and exchange presents. Of course, the term of family was a sensible subject for her but she was still alive and she wasn't going to waste it. Tonks was right; Sirius gave her a chance to a life of her own, not Gaunt and not Black - just Eliza. 

The morning of a white Christmas day has never felt so fresh before. Little Teddy was growing every day and just like she promised, she became the lovable aunt that was giving in to his every whim. 

She wasn’t sure what the others were doing but she knew of their whereabouts since they were still keeping in touch. It’s only been a year but she was adjusting to muggle life very fast. Hermione went back to Hogwarts to finish her education while Harry and Ron opted for standing back. 

Eliza was cooking cookies, trying not to use magic which was very tempting at the moment, when Willy landed on the window sill. She sighed and wipped her hands on her pink apron before taking the mail.

"Hermione, Hermione, Harry, Mrs. Weasley?" Eliza raised an eyebrow and went on, "Seamus, Dean, Seamus again...isn't this the letter he said he sent  me a while ago?" She wondered, looking up at what was a very innocent looking Willy. "Let's see, it seems McGonagall is doing good work. Oh, what is this?" The brunette opened the small red letter and a loud familiar voice echoed through the whole house.

"Young lady! I know you said you don't want me nagging you but I heard from someone that there will be a gathering at The Burrow. Liz, what is The Burrow? I got an invitation for you too and you didn't respond! Don't lie -I personally placed it inside your house. Do your faithful kitten a favor and tell Mrs. Weasley you're coming. Also...well, you'll see..." Vernon's voice spoke loudly before the letter burned and turned to ashes. 

Eliza blinked and realized the letter burned and fell straight in the dough. She sighed and and gave up, using magic to let the cookies make themselves. 

Just like Harry and Ron, Eliza decided she wasn’t in need of education anymore. She learned everything she needed to know and if there was something she missed, there was always Vernon Peverell.

Lucius Malfoy stopped any kind of contact and that was understandable. Ophelia's memories were slowly mixing up with Eliza's and sometimes it was hard to distinguish her life from Ophelia's but that was fine. She wasn't losing her mind just yet. 

The brunette walked out to grab the newspaper, as she had seen around the neighborhood and smiled at the children playing in the snow. They were trying to make snow angels but every time they were getting up, the wings would look like someone stepped over them. Eliza chuckled and swayed her fingers, making the footprints fade away and the snowman built on the lawn wink at the children. They awed and turned to each other in amazement.

“You are surprisingly good with children.”

She froze, afraid that it was only her imagination.

“Is there something else I should know?” The voice continued as he walked closer.

Eliza turned around slowly trying her hardest not to vex him in front of the children.

“You bloody asshole, you haven’t sent me a letter, even one letter to explain yourself.” She hissed.

She was mad and she had every right to be. Once the war ended, the Malfoys recovered fast and left.

But Draco couldn’t pass checking out the slight changes in her looks; for example, she cut her long dark hair but it seemed to suit her, accentuating her bright green eyes as was the white sweater she was wearing.

“A lot has happened.” He admitted, standing there awkwardly, uncertain if he should hug her or not.

Eliza clicked her tongue, her eyes narrowing at the blond.

“What about your family?”

“They're fine. Father is trying to regain his pride but I have never seen my mother so relieved before.” He started, taking a step closer. He looked down at her hand, the ring shining beautifully on her finger. "You seem to be doing well, too."

“I don't get many guests around here. I prefer to keep this life a secret between me and Vernon.” She responded as she walked back to her house, Draco following closely.

“Does he live with you?” He asked bluntly.

“No." She responded quickly, "His presence is overwhelming. I've been waiting for someone else to come and give me some explanations. Harry and Hermione said I am a fool for still wanting to have anything to do with you." She chuckled bemusedly at the memory.

“Are they right?”

Eliza stopped and looked at him before she smiled widely, her eyes glistening,

“Definitely right. The Malfoys have been a constant pest for me and my mother.”

Seeing the amusement in her eyes was enough for Draco to realize she was only half serious. 

"Oh! Did you tell Vernon you'll come here?" She asked him over her shoulder, leading him into the living room. 

"He told me where you are." 

Eliza chuckled to herself and remembered all those times Vernon led Draco to her during hard times. 

The world was definitely better without a certain Tom Riddle Jr and Eliza could finally look at her mother's face in pictures and feel nothing at all. 

Unfortunately, she wasn't sure for how long she could look in the mirror and recognize her face. Ophelia's mind was crawling up towards every nerve in Eliza's head. With every passing day, she was losing sight of who she was and what she wanted. Seeing Draco there, she was curious if the next time he will come she will remember him and everything they've been through.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! I don't even know what to say because I feel like I should edit this story here and there.

Anyway, thank you everyone who embarked on this Harry Potter journey with me and I hope the ending isn't that bad. I was wondering if I should move until that last scene but I'm leaving it vague.

Thank you very much for the lovely comments that brightened my day during really bad days and thank you for supporting this story! I'm kind of tearing up right now because I feel like something will be missing from now on...

Image