Status: Active

Xandrilla

Anticipation

I’ve never been backstage before at a concert, let alone an after-party. Honestly, I don’t really party much as it is. When Mia met Nolan in college, he dragged her into this new world of booze, parties, sleepless nights, wild sex, celebrities, and tattoos. Not that I had anything against those things, they just weren’t Mia, and they definitely weren’t me. Yet, the longer Mia dated Nolan, the more my eyes began to open to this new world. I started dating my stupid douchebag ex, who had been friends with Nolan, and then Luke came along and has been trying to get into my pants ever since. I started drinking occasionally when we went out, I started wearing darker make-up, and I even got a few piercings and tattoos. My college grades started to decline and I fell behind on getting my degree in Music and Art Therapy. That’s when I realized I needed to change my ways, and walking into my ex cheating on me really seemed to open my eyes more. So, I am swearing to myself that tonight is my last crazy, carefree night. Tomorrow is a new day which calls for a better, smarter, and happier me.

Luke grabbed my hand as we were waiting in line to get into the after-party. Security was scanning people’s tickets for the red line, double checking that we were all safe and unarmed to follow suit behind stage. I was kind of getting tired of Luke trying so hard to get with me, after all, I had just went through a breakup. I let him hold my hand, but I loosely held his. Sure, Luke was cute, but he’s been trying way too hard since day one and I have always informed him that we were just friends. Just friends, bro.

He looked over at me, his gray eyes wide with excitement, “Almost to the front of the line. I hope these guys are chill. I hate when rock stars are douchebags behind closed doors.”

I nodded in agreement and stared blankly ahead. A part of me felt nervous and another part of me felt anxious, as if something out of the ordinary was about to happen here tonight. I couldn’t put my finger on it, “Xander seemed really down to earth every time he talked to the audience on stage, so I’m sure we will have a good time.”

Luke and I handed our tickets to the very buff security guards as they scanned them and waved their security wands in front of our bodies. The grumpy looking bulldog guard handed us back our tickets and said, “Be sure to keep these tickets, just in case. Please watch your step. Make your way down the black hallway and turn left at the end. Any harmful interactions brought onto the musicians, and you will be thrown out. Have a good night.”

I beamed at him as I stepped up the staircase… one… two… three… Luke behind me, knowing that he is probably trying to see up my dress. He’s probably thinking I am going to get piss drunk tonight and he’s going to wind up lucky back at our apartment. Wrong.
I entered the black hallway and made my way down to the end where I turned left, just as the security guard had said, and walked into a maroon colored room. Black lights hung from the ceiling, couches lined a few walls, tables and barstools were scattered throughout, hardcore music was blaring. People were dancing and drinking, a few were smoking, or making out with someone. Damn, rock stars don’t mess around when it comes to getting the party started.

Luke had a giddy grin plastered to his face as a slutty waitress walked up and handed each of us a drink off of her tray, “Welcome to the Xandrilla after-party. Please, make yourselves comfortable, I’ll be here all night to serve you.” Her perfectly curled blonde hair tumbled over her pushed-up breasts as she smiled towards Luke, who looked like he was about to pounce on her.
She then sashayed back towards the bar to collect more alcoholic beverages and Luke’s gaze jogged after her, “Damn, sorry Aud, but she was hot.”

I laughed, “She is being paid to be like that, I see right through that fake shit.”

“Or you’re just jealous that I think she’s attractive,” he teased, “If I don’t get lucky with you, at least maybe I can with her!”

I raised my eyebrows at him, “Luke, how many times do I have to tell you –“

“Yeah, yeah, we are just friends. I get it Audra. You’re such a buzzkill sometimes,” that’s what my ex used to say about me… is that why he cheated on me?

Great.

I win access to the concert after-party of the century, with one of the most popular alternative bands around, and now I am standing here moping around wondering why my asshole ex-boyfriend dumped me. Get a grip, Audra. Go flirt with some famous band dude or something… speaking of which… I looked around the maroon party room wondering where any of the bandmates from Xandrilla were. I haven’t seen the four of them make an appearance yet.

I turned my attention back to where Luke had been standing and noticed that he had walked over to the bar where the blondie waitress had been standing, waiting for the bartender to give her some more drinks. She seemed to be laughing at whatever Luke was talking to her about, and it kind of pissed me off that he just left me standing here by myself looking like a loner. This was totally not my scene… I wish Mia would have won a ticket back here with me.

I feel so pathetic.

Walking over to the nearest, empty couch, I catch a glimpse of myself in a huge mirror hanging on the wall. My face looked so unhappy and contorted, at least my makeup was on point. I ruffled my hair a little bit, giving it some extra volume and took a sip of the drink in my hand. Ah, pineapple juice and crown apple, one of my favorite combinations. At least I could enjoy this.

Just as I took another swig of my drink, I heard some of the people in the crowded room start hollering. I turned my head towards the back of the room where a secret entrance door had opened and Xandrilla was walking through. They were fist pumping and shaking people’s hands, thanking everyone for attending. My eyes locked onto Xander who had changed into a black t-shirt and dark jeans, his hair tousled in a messy, bedhead type of way. I watched his muscles swell every time he shook someone’s hand. Well… needless to say, his presence is my life of the party, and I could stare at him all day… and night. Too bad I’m invisible right now.

I suppressed my urge to run up and tackle him, as I crossed my legs and squeezed my thighs together. I’ve never wanted somebody so bad. At least, not anyone that I didn’t already know, and he could have a girlfriend or a wife for all I know. I chugged the rest of my drink at the thought. The speakers throughout the party room started pumping out some loud Xandrilla song that I had never heard before. I leaned back against the couch and closed my eyes, intently listening to the god-like voice that was echoing through my ears.

“Are you really sleeping right now with all this awesome party chaos around you?” Am I going crazy or is that voice was talking to me? My eyes flew open and my throat went dry. Xander was standing right in front of me, staring me down with bright green eyes, “A beautiful girl like you shouldn’t be sitting on a couch by herself at a party like this.”

My jaw fell open. So I’m not invisible after all. In fact, I believe Xander just said I was beautiful. I wonder how much alcohol he has already drank tonight…

“What’s the matter baby, cat got your tongue? You know, I’m human too. My name is Xander, but I think you already know that, so what is yours?”

My heart was pounding, “My friend just ditched me for the blonde waitress. I promise I’m not a loner,” I blurted out. Real smooth, Audra…

Xander smirked and I almost melted, “Mm, but what’s your name, sweetie?”

“Audra. Or Aud. Whichever.”

“Audra suits you, it’s different, and I like different. And your friend over there,” he nodded towards the bar at Luke who was getting awfully close to Blondie, “He’s an asshole for leaving you by yourself, you’re too gorgeous. He should’ve known that eventually someone would come over and try to win you over tonight.”

I bit my bottom lip, restraining myself from kissing him and his sexy voice, “Yeah… well, I’m pretty sure he’s pissed at me for turning him down so many times. He was trying way too hard and I just broke up with my cheating boyfriend last night so…”

“Whoa,” he held up his hands, “so you definitely hit the jackpot tonight winning access to my after-party. I’m going to show you a good time, Audra. You need it. I hope that’s okay with you?” He placed his tattooed fingers over my bare thigh, and I felt my skin tingle.

“I’d love that…” And suddenly all my instincts dissipated into thin air. I went back to my careless, carefree self that I had just sworn off earlier. This better be worth it...