Status: Finished!

The Elastic Heart Trilogy: Someday I Will Understand

Part 1 - Complicated

The last seven years had flown by for Jen and despite the fact that she was still single she was pretty happy with her life. She received her license in digital arts shortly after Riley's first birthday and since then she opened her own photography studio. It started out slow but before she knew it she was getting calls left and right. They ranged from new parents wanting photos of their newborn babies, brides wanting to book her for their weddings, and even her celebrity friends who wanted special photos done that wouldn't end up in magazines.

She was now getting ready to head out to shoot a wedding. Despite how hot it was outside the church was air conditioned which she was thankful for. Jen knew that dress pants might be a bad idea but she didn't really care. She had always been the type to get cold if the A/C was up too high.

"You look pretty Mommy." Riley said from where she sat on the couch in their family room. It was connected to the kitchen and it was one of the eight year old's favorite rooms in the house. It was one of Jen's favorites as well.

"Thank you baby." Jen smiled and checked her bag to make sure she had everything she needed.

"What are you shooting today?" Brian asked from where he was sat next to Riley. He knew it must be an important shoot if Jen was dressed up. If she would be in the studio she would be in more comfortable clothes.

"The Hastings/Prescott Wedding. What do you two have planned for the day?"

"We're gonna start off with some Mario Kart then after that I'm not sure yet." Brian told her as Riley got up to get something to drink.

"I don't know when I'll be home but I'll call you when I'm on my way."

"Alright."

Jen turned to Riley and leaned down to give her a kiss. "Be good for your Dad. I love you."

"I love you too."

Riley walked over to the couch with her juice box and took a sip. She looked at Brian who sighed as Jen walked out of the kitchen.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah Peanut?"

"Can I ask you something?"

He chuckled. "You just did but go ahead." He told her as he got the game set up.

"Why aren't you and Mommy married?"

Brian almost dropped one of the steering wheels onto the floor. "We.. it's.. it's complicated Riley."

"No it's not." She shook her head. "You love Mommy right?"

He sighed again. "Yes."

"Then ask Mommy out already." Riley wasn't stupid. She knew from ease dropping that her Dad was in love with her Mom but she didn't understand why they weren't married. She wanted them together and she really wanted a younger brother or sister.

"Riley.."

"No Daddy." She cut him off. "Mommy makes you happy and you make Mommy happy. I don't want another Mommy or Daddy. I just want you."

Brian smiled and pulled her close to kiss her forehead. "Well I'm not going anywhere Peanut and I can promise you this. No guy is going to take Mommy away and no girl will take me away. You're stuck with me."

She giggled and set her juice box down on the table. "Good. Now grow a pair and ask Mommy out already." She didn't dare look at him as she picked up her steering wheel. Brian had a look of shock on his face.

"Just for that I am so going to beat you at this game."

Riley rolled her eyes. "Good luck Daddy. No one can beat me at Mario Kart."

------


Jen was exhausted by the time she got home. As much as she loved her job she was always worn out by the time she was done for the day.

"I'm home!"

She could hear what sounded like a stampede and braced herself for the impact. Within seconds two bodies slammed into hers and she was pulled into an embrace.

"Hi Mommy!"

Jen hugged Riley tightly and kissed the top of her head. "Hi honey. Did you and Daddy have fun today?"

She nodded. "I beat him at Mario Kart again."

Brian groaned. "No, I let you win."

She giggled and looked up at Jen. "What's for dinner Mommy?"

"I have no idea." Jen hadn't even given dinner a thought. Now she was trying to decide if she wanted to cook or if they should just go out.

"Can we go somewhere?"

"That depends. Where do you want to go?"

Riley shrugged. "I don't know. You pick."

"Well why you two decide on dinner I have to get going. I have plans." Brian kissed Riley's cheek and gave Jen a hug before heading towards the door.

"A hot date?"

He turned to look at Jen and couldn't help but notice the glare he was getting from Riley.

"Something like that. I'll see you girls tomorrow." And with that he left.

"Why don't we both go change and we'll figure out where we want to go in the car?" Jen suggested.

"Okay."

Jen was so happy to be out of the dress pants she had been wearing all day. She was in a light mint dress and much to her surprise Riley had chose to wear a skirt. She could be a real fashion diva when she wanted but it didn't happen very often. In fact it was so rare that Jen had to take a picture to prove that it actually happened.

They decide to stop at one of their favorite cafe's on PCH. They were normally iffy about children but since the owner's were friends with Brian they never denied letting Riley eat there.

"Do you know what you want to eat?" Jen asked and looked up from her menu when Riley didn't answer. "What's wrong baby?"

"Do you love Daddy?"

"Of course I do but.."

"Mommy.." Riley set her menu down on the table and looked at her mother. "Why won't you go out with Daddy?"

Jen sighed and set her menu down as well. "Riley, your Dad and I.. we.. it's complicated.."

"Daddy said that too but why?"

"You're too young to understand."

"I'm not to young to know that I don't like Daddy's girlfriend."

Jen raised an eyebrow. "Girlfriend? What do you know?"

"She's ugly and not very nice."

"You met her? Does she have a name?"

Riley shrugged. "I didn't hear it but I know that she doesn't like me. I heard her say to Daddy that he needs to ditch me to be with her."

"You know that Daddy isn't going to be with anyone that doesn't like you. You are his world and he'd never stay with anyone that didn't like you. Is that what's been bothering you?"

Jen knew her daughter like the back of her hand. Riley was just like her when it came to how she felt about something. She'd hide it for as long as possible before she's just snap. She wondered just how long Riley had known about Brian's 'girlfriend'.

"Sort of."

"Tell me what's going on then. I'll do whatever I can to fix it."

"I want Daddy to live with us."

Brian had purchased his first house two years before. It wasn't far from Jen's but for Riley it was much too far away. She wanted to see him all the time when we wasn't on tour. Not whenever he happened to stop by.

"Have you ladies decided?"

Jen sighed and looked at Riley. "We'll talk about this at home."

Riley nodded with a frown and they spent the rest of the evening talking about anything but Brian.

------


Riley was spending the day with Cali while Jen went in to work. Brian was suppose to take her to the zoo but he had called that morning saying he couldn't go and that he'd make it up to her. Riley was disappointed and wanted to spend the day with her Mom but two of Jen's employees were home sick with the flu so she had to go in and get things done herself.

"Do you have everything you need?" Jen asked as she rushed around the kitchen.

Riley nodded. "Yes." She had already filled her back pack with everything she'd need for the day. Her iPad mini, a sketchbook, pencils, even her favorite doll but she was still upset that Brian had cancelled on her.

"Thanks for talking her Cals."

"It's no problem." She said slinging her arm over Riley's shoulder. "We're going to have a great day."

Jen smiled and leaned down to kiss Riley's cheek. "I'll see you tonight. I love you."

"I love you too." Riley mumbled and followed Cali out to her car. "Where are we going?"

Cali waited until they were both in the car and on the road before she spoke. "You know how you've been begging for another pair of Converse? Well I thought I'd go ahead and get them for you."

Riley raised an eyebrow. "What's the catch?"

"Riley.. you just have to keep a little secret for me.."

"Another one?" She asked.

"Yes and I'll even get you some candy if you promise not to tell your Mom and Dad where I'm going."

She sighed and nodded. "Okay."

Cali smiled. "Good girl."

Riley stayed silent the rest of the car ride but brightened up when she got her new blue converse. She already had a navy pair as well as a royal blue pair but this time she wanted a lighter shade, almost like a bright baby blue or a bright sky blue. As promised Cali took her into the candy store and let her pick out whatever she wanted.

"Cali? What are you doing here?" Brad asked in a panic as Riley walked in behind Cali.

"You can watch her for a few hours right? I'm late to see Chester."

Brad looked behind him to the door that led to his home studio before looking back at Cali. "Now really isn't a good time."

"I should be back around two or three." She said not listening to anything Brad was saying. "Be good Riley."

Brad sighed as the front door slammed shut and looked over at Riley who was now sitting on his couch.

"Can I use your Wifi to play my game?" She asked. It was only then that he saw the iPad in her hands.

"Sure." Walking over he got his WiFi up and running for her and watched as she began to play Candy Crush.

"Hey Brad who was at the..." Brad watched with horror as Mike emerged from his home studio and into his living room. "..door. Oh um, if you have to babysit I can come back tomorrow."

Riley looked up from her game and stared at the man she had never seen before. She knew that Brad was in a band and that this strange guy must be in the band with him.

"Well, I uh.. she was kind of just dropped off.."

Mike walked and knelt down in front of her. "Hi sweetheart my name is Mike. I'm a friend of Brad's. What's your name?"

"Riley."

"Riley?" He asked. His eyes quickly moving between her and Brad who looked like he wanted to run and hide.

She nodded and exited out of her game knowing she wouldn't be able to concentrate with this guy talking to her.

Mike stared at her for what seemed like hours just taking in her features. He knew he had a daughter named Riley and wondered if this was her. Cali made sure to throw it in his face every single time she saw him but he had yet to ever see a picture of her. Could the little girl he left behind be sitting right in front of him?

"I know we just met but.. could you tell me your middle name? I'll tell you mine.."

Riley looked at Brad as if she were asking if it was okay. It took a few seconds to respond but he nodded and she gave her attention back to Mike.

"Jade."

Mike nearly fell over onto the floor. It was her. This was his daughter. What were the chances that they'd both be at Brad's at the exact same time?

"Is your mother's name Jenna?"

"Can I have something to drink?" She asked quietly.

"Sure. There's some soda in the fridge. Help yourself." Brad answered.

Riley set her iPad down on the couch and ran into the kitchen. Mike slowly stood up and tried to process everything that was happening. He needed some answers and he needed them now.

"Is she..?"

"Mike, I--"

"Is it her Brad? Don't lie to me. Is she.. my daughter?"

Brad avoided Mike's eyes and scratched the back of his neck. That right there gave Mike his answer. He slumped down onto the couch. Brad sat in the arm chair across from him.

"Cali drops her off here when she meets up with Chester. I wanted to tell you but I promised Cali and Jen that I wouldn't say anything."

The emcee glared. "You promised Jen? She knows that she's here?"

"Probably not. Like I said, Cali usually just drops her off and leaves."

"Do you know how long I've wanted to see her?"

Brad nodded. "Yes but.. you gave her up Mike."

"I know that!" He raised his voice but quickly lowered it so Riley couldn't hear. "And you know how much I regret that. I've waited almost nine years to see her and when I finally do she doesn't seem to know who I am."

"It's because she doesn't."

He looked at Brad confused. "What do you mean?"

"From what Cali has told me. Riley knows nothing about you. Her last name isn't even Shinoda."

"So it's Depp?"

"No.."

"Well if it's not Shinoda and it's not Depp then what the hell is it?" He demanded.

Brad glanced down the hall way that led into the kitchen and saw Riley sitting at the table drinking a can of 7UP. He looked back at Mike with a sigh.

"Haner. Her last name is Haner."

"Haner? Why would her last name be.." Mike trailed off as the last name registered in his brain. Haner was the last name of the guy that had rejected Jen when she confessed her feelings to him. "Wait a minute... Brian Haner Jr. he's.. isn't he in Avenged Sevenfold?"

Brad nodded. "Yes. His stage name is Synyster Gates."

Before Mike had the chance to say anything Riley's iPad started to ring. Looking down at the screen he noticed the word 'Mommy' with a photo of Jen. Grabbing it he answered the FaceTime call and came face to face with the mother of his child.

Jen knew that sometimes it took Riley a while to answer if she was playing game. She was surprised that it only took two and a half but even more surprised when the face on the other end wasn't of her daughter but of her ex-boyfriend Mike Shinoda.

"Hello Jenna." Mike said as calmly as he could. "We need to talk. Now."