Status: Finished!

The Elastic Heart Trilogy: Until It's Gone

Part 2 - Wide Open Spaces

Mike had just finished making dinner when the doorbell rang. He wasn't expecting anyone and was shocked to see Riley standing there when he opened the door.

"Hi Dad."

"Hey Riley, um what are you doing here?" Mike asked as she hugged him.

"Can I stay here? Please?"

It was only then that he noticed her bags. He swallowed the lump in his throat and looked down at her. "Come in."

Mike helped her with her things and kept them in the foyer while Riley took her shoes off. She was used to the 'shoe off' rule. The same rule applied at home and she'd been taught to respect others homes and to always take her shoes off before walking through someone's home.

"How did you get here honey?" Mike asked noticing she was by herself.

"I drove. I used the GPS on my phone so I wouldn't get lost." Riley hadn't been to Mike's enough to know exactly how to get there. Plus most of the time she wasn't paying attention to anything other than whichever electronic device was in her hands.

"Riley? Hi sweetheart." Anna smiled and pulled her in for a hug. "I didn't know you were coming over."

"Surprise! It is okay right?"

"Of course. We were just getting ready to have dinner. Come on."

Riley didn't hesitate to follow Anna. She knew that her Dad was going to question her and she wanted to avoid it for as long as she could. Mike wasn't the type to talk about it during dinner. He'd wait until they were alone. The second she was out of ear shot he took his iPhone from his pocket and immediately called Jen.

"Hello?"

"Hey it's Mike. Riley's here. What's going on?" He asked and heard her sigh. He listened as she explained what happened and how Riley had been acting lately. She could always be sassy but to be down right mean. It wasn't like her.

"I'll talk to her and see if I can find out what's going on. She's not usually like that right?"

"Not at all." Jen told him. "I have no idea what's going on with her."

Mike frowned at the sadness in her voice. "Look.. she brought a bunch of her stuff with her so I have a feeling that she may be here a while. I promise that I'll find out what's going on and I'll take good care of her."

"I know you will."

"I'll give you a call once I know something."

"Okay. Thank you."

After saying their goodbyes they hung up and Mike headed into the kitchen for dinner. Anna, Riley, and Otis were already sitting at the table making their plates. Mike was surprised that Riley had said those words to Brian. He'd always thought that she adored the man that raised her but he knew there was something that was making her act this way. He just didn't know what it was.

------


A week had passed since Riley left home and she was now sitting on her bed in the room she always stayed in at Mike's. She'd pretty much kept to herself but acted like nothing was wrong when she was around Anna and Otis. Mike could see right through her though. Riley was just like her mother and he knew that getting her to open up would be difficult. He needed a way in and luckily for him he found it when he knocked on her bedroom door and found her writing in a notebook.

"Hey Ri. Can I come in?"

Looking up from her notebook Riley smiled. "Sure." She quickly shut it and set it down as Mike stepped inside and shut the door behind him. He sat down on her bed and waited a few seconds before saying anything.

"I think it's time we talked."

She sighed. "Do we have to?"

"Yes. I want to know what's going on with you."

"There's nothing going on!" She snapped and went to climb off of the bed when Mike stopped her.

"That tells me right there that something is going on. That and the fact that my sixteen year old daughter just randomly comes here with her bags packed and is staying in one of my guest rooms." He paused as Riley settled back down on the bed. "Your Mom is worried about you and honestly so am I. You don't usually act this way and as your father I have a right to know what's going on with you."

Riley slowly nodded and tried to hold back her tears. "It's a long story and.. I'm not sure how to explain it all."

"Well how about I asked some questions and you answer them with a yes or no and we'll go from there."

"Okay."

Mike knew that this was the easiest way to get through to her. He asked nearly ten questions before he noticed a change in her behavior. How she was getting more emotional and he quickly figured out what was wrong.

"Did somebody hurt you?"

She slowly nodded. "Yes."

He immediately thought the worst. That some prick had taken advantage of his little girl. He'd kill anyone that hurt her.

"Who was it?"

"It's not what you think Dad." She shook her head. "It's.. it's just a break up."

"A break up?"

"Yeah." Reaching over Riley grabbed the notebook she had been writing in and hesitated to hand it to him. "I use this to write my thoughts in.. sometimes I write poems and stuff too. It's kind of like a journal I guess."

She watched closely as Mike read through the notebook. She wouldn't let him read everything but this way he'd know what she was going through without actually having to tell him. He finished reading and set the notebook aside. Without a word he pulled Riley into his arms and just held her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mike asked softly as he pulled back and brushed Riley's hair out of her face. She shrugged.

"I don't know. I didn't tell anyone."

He sighed. "I'm probably the last person that should give you advice considering how I treated your mom but.. this guy isn't worth your tears. He doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as you but you can't treat everyone around you like crap just because this guy broke your heart. You're only sixteen and the right guy is out there for you. You may not meet him for five years but he's out there. I think you need to apologize to not only Brian and Addison but your Mom too. You've pushed a lot of people away lately over some boy who wasn't even worth your time."

She nodded and played with the hem of your skirt. "I know."

"Was that song about him?"

"What song?" Riley asked looking up at him.

Grabbing the notebook Mike turned to the last page and handed it to her. "This one."

"Sort of. It's kind of about everyone I guess. Everyone says I'm just like Mom when it comes to my feelings and I guess they're right. It's a lot easier for me to write everything down than to actually say it."

"Well, how would you feel about singing it?"

Riley's ears perked up. Was he really going to let her record in his home studio. "Really?"

Mike nodded. "I've heard you sing and you have a beautiful voice but I had no idea that you were writing songs. The guys aren't suppose to come over until tomorrow if you'd like to hang out in the studio with me. Maybe I could help you come up with an arrangement for this.."

"Can we go now?"

"Sure."

------


Riley watched everyone around her as they talked and laughed about who knows what. She had been introduced to her extended family when they arrived but she didn't know them enough to start any kind of conversation with them. She'd spent the last week in the studio with Mike turning her poems into actual songs. He even burned them onto disks and made her an album cover for the four songs that had been recorded. It brought them closer together and she now wanted nothing more than to be a singer. She had even recorded a version of Final Masquerade with him and had him add it as 'bonus track'.

But she was homesick. She loved the time she got to spend with Mike but she missed her Mom. She missed sleeping in her own bed but most of all she missed Brian. After the long talk she had with Mike she knew she needed to apologize. She needed to make things right before it was too late to fix.

Digging around in her purse Riley took out of her phone and unlocked the screen to get to her contact list. Once she found the person she wanted to call she selected their number and put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Mom?" Her voice cracked. "I want to come home."

Mike wasn't at all surprised that Riley wanted to go home. She was so emotional from the short phone call with Jen that he offered to drive. Anna offered to drive Riley's car with her belongings so the two of them could spend some time together. They agreed to meet Jen at Central Park. Riley wanted to talk to her first and she didn't want anyone else around when it happened.

Jen was waiting for them and the second Riley saw her she ran right into her arms.

"I'm so sorry Mama!" Riley cried. After a few minutes she pulled away and the two of them sat down at a nearby picnic table. Mike sat on the other side. Anna had taken Otis to the nearby playground so they could talk things out.

"I never meant to hurt anybody Mom, especially Daddy. Does he hate me?"

Jen shook her head. "He could never hate you. He's more hurt than anything." Riley frowned and Jen continued. "You've hurt a lot of people with your actions and words Riley. Your Dad, your little sister, even your friends. That's not how you handle a break up."

As promised Mike had called to tell her what had happened and why Riley was acting the way she was. They were just waiting to Riley to say something and she did when she talked to Jen on the phone.

"I know." She said sadly. "I just.. it was my first break up and I didn't know how to handle it. So I took my pain out on everyone else. Can you ever forgive me Mom?"

Jen sighed and nodded. "Yes, I can but there are going to be some much needed changes. I won't allow you to act like this again. If you're having a problem you either come to me, Brian, or Mike and we'll help you through it."

"We're always here for you." Mike chimed in after being quiet for the entire conversation.

Riley smiled at him then turned back to Jen. "I'm guessing that I'm grounded?"

"Oh yeah!"

She sighed. "I figured."

"Do you remember what I told you about your Chanel bag?"

Riley grounded. "Yes. Do I really have to give it up?"

Jen nodded. "Yes you do. Along with your Louis Vuitton that Grandpa got you for Christmas as well as your car. You can keep your old Coach bag but the Chanel and all of the Vuitton are mine until further notice. We'll find you some kind of key chain for your house key."

"But how am I going to get to school now?" She asked knowing she'd be without her car when school started up again.

"You have two options. Either your Dad and I will take you or you take the bus."

"I'll have you take me." Riley answered. "Is that all?"

"Nope." Jen shook her head."I want the Apple products too. So no iPad, iPod, or iPhone. The Macbook you can have when school starts and only if you need it for school. No random surfing the net."

Riley sighed sadly and nodded."Yes Mom. Is Daddy at home?"

"Yes. He's with Addison and Brayden. Are you ready to apologize to him?"

She nodded "I am."

"Alright. Let's go."

------


Mike, Anna, and Otis followed Jen and Riley into the house. He wanted to be there in case there was another following out. He was pretty sure that everything would be fine but he wasn't going to take any chances.

"MOMMY!"

Addison ran towards the front door and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Riley. A frown instantly formed on her face and tears welled up in her brown eyes.

Riley noticed and frowned. "I'm sorry Ads. I didn't mean what I said." She said taking a step towards her little sister. "I don't hate you. I was just upset and I took it out on you. Is it cool with you if I still be your big sister?"

The six year old looked at her mother than back to Riley almost like she was processing the words being said to her. She nodded and ran to Riley who gladly picked her up and held her.

"I missed you." Addison said softly. Riley smiled and set her back onto her feet.

"I missed you too kid."

Addison smiled and ran off to play. She wasn't gone long when Brian came looking for her.

"Addison Faith where did you.." He trailed off seeing Riley. "Riley."

She took a step closer to Brian with tears in her eyes. She could see how hurt he still was and she hated it. This man gave up everything for her and she had no right to treat him so badly.

"I'm sorry for the awful things I said to you." She started softly. "You're everything to me Daddy and I know now that I shouldn't take my anger out on other people. I know how much you love Mom and how you'd do anything to see her happy. You knew she was hurting and you stepped up to raise me. You didn't raise me to be like this and I'm sorry. Sometimes I get a little jealous when I see you with Addison. Knowing she's your real daughter and I'm not but I know that you love me just as much as you love her.

You've never been anything but good to me and I've taken you and Mom for granted. I thought that if I acted out maybe you'd pay more attention to me like you used to. Back when it was just the three of us. I miss that but it's no excuse for what I did. I love you Daddy. Will you ever be able to forgive me?" Riley now had tears streaming down on her face. She didn't think she'd get so emotional but apologizing to Brian was the hardest thing she'd ever had to do.

"I'm not going to lie to you." Brian started as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "I never expected those words to come out of your mouth and they hurt. A lot. I tried to help you and all you did was push me away. Your Mom told me what happened." Riley frowned. "But that's now excuse for what you did. You don't treat people that way no matter how hurt or angry you are. I know that we aren't as close as we used to be and a lot of that is my fault. I'm always out on tour then when I'm home Addison and Brayden take up all my time and that's when I'm not in the studio with the guys. I understand why you're jealous but.. you're sixteen now and you've been acting like a little kid. You know if something is bothering you that you can talk to me. I'm always going to be there for you.

We're going to have to work on some things Peanut. This isn't something that's easily forgiven. It wasn't just the things you said but you basically ran away from home and that's not something that's gonna fly in this house."

"I know." Riley sighed. "Mom already grounded me."

"I had a feeling she did." Brian smiled softly. "We're going to take one day at a time so we can trust you again. It's not going to be something that happens over night. You have to prove to use that you're trustworthy and there are going to be rules. Rules you're not going to like but you're going to have to live with it." He paused and took a few steps towards her. "You know that we're doing this because we love you and we want you to learn from this. You can't runaway every time something bad happens or treat people the way you have. That's how you lose people and they won't always let you back in."

"I understand."

"Come here."

Riley took a few steps towards him and was a little surprised when he pulled her into his arms.

"I love you Peanut but I promise you that if you pull this shit again we won't be as nice about it as we are now."

"Trust me Daddy. I will never act like that again." Riley said as she held onto him for dear life.