‹ Prequel: Vodka and Lemonade
Sequel: Rum and Coke
Status: Completed

Gin and Juice

One

I drove down the long driveway that led to a creepy old mansion. I got goose bumps just looking at it. Hopefully, the week would pass by quickly. I pulled up behind a huge, black SUV with tinted windows and shut off my engine. I grabbed my suitcase and dance bag filled with workout clothes, my iPod, and speakers. Hesitantly, I walked up to the front door and cautiously knocked on the door. An old woman with her grey hair in a tight bun opened the door. Her face was stern and looked like it was set in stone. Her lips twitched.

“How may I help you?” she forced out.

“Hi, I’m Danielle Patterson. I’m one of the dancers for the video shoot.”
Her lip twitched again. “I see. Please hand me your bags and I will escort you to the ballroom.”

I handed her my suitcase but kept a firm grip on everything else.

She nodded curtly and led me through the house. It seemed like the inside was creepier than the outside. It was very dark and gothic-like…pretty much picture the house from “The Haunted” and an old cathedral, and you have this house.

“Excuse me, but who lives here?”

“No one lives here. This is a summer residence for Harlem Davis. He rents it out for events and films when he is not here.” She said curtly. Something told me that she didn’t like the amount of people coming in and out of the house. “Here is the ballroom. You are to wait here until further instruction. I will take your bag to your room. It is the first door to your right on the third floor.”

I nodded my head and gave her a small smile. “Thanks.”

Her lip twitched again before she turned and walked away with an even step. I let out a sigh of relief when she disappeared toward the stairwell. “What a weird lady,” I whispered under my breath as I walked into the ballroom. I felt like I had stepped into the ballroom of a fancy English manor. High vaulted ceiling, windows on the far wall, tapestries adorning the other three walls… I felt like a princess for the first time in a long time. I gently put my bag down and headed over to where a sound board was shoved awkwardly against the wall. I ran my hand over the expensive board and sighed, reliving memories of my younger, reckless self.

With a final sigh, I walked back to my bag and grabbed my iPod and speakers out of my dance bag. I strapped on my heels and put it on a random tune and started stretching.
I had no clue when the choreographer or the other dancers arrived, but I wanted to be warmed up and ready to take what they throw me. After stretching and doing some floor exercises, I got up, changed the song to Rhiannon’s “Take a Bow” and started to slowly move my body around the room. Like always, I got lost in the music and started doing some daring solo moves.

“Well, if it isn’t Danni Paterson dancing to the top of the beat like always.”

I finished my combination with a kick and looked at my speaker. “Kale? What the fuck are you doing here?”

“I’m the choreographer.”

I squealed and ran up to him. Anticipating my move, he bent his knees and lifted me when I came into range. Both of us laughing, he let me down and we hugged like normal people.

“Ok, so the director is on his way here and he’ll tell me what he wants.”

“Ok. Sounds fine…but where are the other dancers?”

“Oh, they’ll be here in a few hours. You’re the principle dancer and you have a special solo-esque number.”

“What?”

“You’re the main girl throughout the entire video shoot.”

“I’m not an actress, Kale.”

“Well, if you really think about it, dancers are actresses and actors- we just use our body to convey a message instead of our voices.”

“Kale, this girl better be fucking amazing,” a tall guy covered in tattoos growled as he threw open the doors. “and turn that shit off.”

Slyly, I pushed the pause button my iRemote and hid it in my left hand behind my back.

“Mark, this is Danni. Danni, this is Mark, the director.” Kale stepped in.

“It’s a pleasure,” I smiled, offering my hand.

He looked down at it and turned toward Kale. “She better be worth it. Have you listened to the song?”

“Yes.”

“Ok, let’s get going.” He then proceeded to tell us step-by-step how the video would look like. I liked his ideas, and even threw in some of my own- I had to get back in his good graces. He took them in stride and added a few (I was thouroughly pleased with myself). “Alright, so that’s it. I want you two to choreograph your parts- remember, Danni, don’t make it too complicated. One of the guys will be dancing with you and they’re rusty on ballroom dancing.”

I nodded my head. “Sure, whatever you want.”

“Oh, and you have three hours. I’ll need you in hair and makeup at seven sharp. The other dancers, as well as the guys should be arriving soon. I’ll see you at six-thirty to see what you have. By then, which ever guy you're dancing with should already know what he's doing.” He quickly disappeared behind the large oak doors.

Kale and I nodded before sharing a look.

“Better get to it. We’ll start with the group first and see where we go from there.”

“Sounds good.” I said, turning off my iPod and placing the speakers and remote back in my bag. “Let’s listen to it once through and get a feel for it. If I’m going to become a murderer, I at least want to do it in time with the music.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first A7X fic that is not a one-shot. Comments? The guys should come in by the end of the next chapter