‹ Prequel: Vodka and Lemonade
Sequel: Rum and Coke
Status: Completed

Gin and Juice

twenty-one

“Hey, where’d you go?” Kale asked as soon as I opened the door.

“I’m pregnant.” I said, not really answering his question, but I was still hung up on the whole pregnancy issue.

“What?”

I locked eyes with him. “I’m pregnant.”

He brought his buzzing cell phone out of his pocket. “You keep that thought,” he said distractedly as he brought the tiny device to his ear. “Hello?” His confused face turned to one of concern as he looked back at me. “Gottcha, man. I’ll talk to you later.” He hung up the phone. “Six months?”

I looked down. I didn’t like the patronizing tone in his voice.

“How could someone not know that they’re six months pregnant? There are signs, you know.”

“Shut the hell up! There were no goddamn signs! Ok? None, nada, zilch!”

The corner of his lip twitched before his face softened. “What did I fucking tell you? I knew that he would do this. He hurts you every fucking time and you always go running back to him, begging for more. You’re an emotional masochist. Admit it.”

I couldn’t believe the things he was saying. This was not the Kale I knew…but then again, I wasn’t being the Danni that he knew, either. “Did you honestly believe I wanted this?! Wanted to be connected to the guy that shattered my heart numerous times?! Fuck you, Kale Michael Davis!” I grabbed my lower abdomen as a sharp pain ripped through it. Maybe I should follow the Dr.’s advice.

“Oh, Danni,” He went immediately into big brother mode and came over to me. “I’m sorry,” he added as he helped me sit down. He then sat down next to me as I curled up as best as I could around him. “It’s just…I’m sick of watching you get hurt. You’re like a sister to me.”

“And you’re like a brother to me. Trust me when I say that I’m sick of getting hurt, too.”

“What did Kyle say…when he found out?”

“Nothing. I think we were both in too much shock.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. We’re both supposed to think about it.”

“No, I mean what are you going to do with the baby?”

I moved my head so that I could look him in the eye. “I’m not going to punish her over something she had no control over. It would be wrong to cast her aside like he did to me.”

“Technically, you left him.”

I stood up slowly and walked toward my bedroom.

“Where are you going?”

“Bed. I have a lot to think about.”

“Do you want me to bring dinner to you?”

“No, I’ll just make something when I get hungry.”

“I know you too well. You need to eat something. For her sake.” He replied, motioning to my slightly swollen abdomen.

“And I will. Have a little faith.”

“You’re going to get huge in these next few months.”

“And you’re going to be stuck changing diapers and cleaning up after her if you keep going like you are.”

He made a grimace (that I knew was completely fake) before shooing me off to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
haha. Kale's hormonal, too. comments?