‹ Prequel: Vodka and Lemonade
Sequel: Rum and Coke
Status: Completed

Gin and Juice

twenty-four

2 ½ years later

“Ladies and gentleman, friends and family, I am so happy that all of you could be here at the joining of Kale Davis and Jared Dawson. Kale has been my friend for years. We’ve been through a lot together- I’d like to think it was a healthy mix of good and bad. Some of the good being that he got my hormones during my pregnancy-”

Kale shot me a “don’t you dare” look.

Laughing, I continued my speech. “Still, I don’t think he could have found a better match for him than Jared. Anyone who has spent 2 minutes in the same room as them, regardless of being pro-love or not, could tell you that their love is as unique and powerful as they are. And, so I’m delighted to officially welcome Jared into our loving family, even if he kidnapped my Kale and whisked him off to Canada for an impromptu wedding.” I winked to the two love birds and raised my glass. “To a future full of happiness and good times.” I raised my wine glass as the party echoed my toast. After sipping on the red wine, I looked down at what was tugging on my dress. Smiling widely, I scooped my daughter up and spun her around a few times. “Hey, guys, who’s ready to dance?” I asked excitedly for my daughter before taking off with her to the dance floor.

“Danni! I refuse to let you rob me off my dance!” Kale screamed after me, all the while dragging Jared behind him. Laughing as everyone followed us, I stayed to the outer edge of the dance floor so that the “newlyweds” could have their traditional dance.

“Aren’t they something?” Brittany, Jared’s sister asked me. “Never in a million years did I think that my brother would find someone that would make him this happy.”

“I know. Living with Kale for a year made me wonder if anyone else could stand to be with him, let alone live with him,” I replied with a chuckle.

Taking my squirming daughter out of my arms, Brittany smiled. “She’s such a cutie.”

I reached out and slid her wavy medium brown hair through my fingers. I knew that eventually it would be as dark as her father’s. My stomach clenched at the thought of her looking like him. She turned to look at me, her grey-blue eyes warming my heart. She was mouthing the words to Elvis’ “I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You.”I couldn’t help but smile at her.

“Hey, anytime you want to have a night out, just call me up and I’ll come right over. You don’t even have to pay me- she’s such a sweet girl.”

I nodded.

Ellie’s eyes lit up suddenly and she reached for me. “Mama, dance!” she squealed, worming her way back into my arms.

Laughing, I spun her around a few times before waltzing onto the dance floor to join other couples. Throughout the night, random friends would come up to me and “steal” my daughter awat from me as we danced. Knowing, everyone here, I didn’t mind. It gave me a break, not that I didn’t love her or anything…she just has way too much energy for that small of a body.

“…and then he got the broom!” Kale’s mom finished her joke a few hours later while we were “gabbling” as Kale calls it at a small table near the front.

Laughing a little on the forceful side, I looked up and spotted my best friend slow dancing with my daughter. Her head lay on his chest and her arms were wrapped securely around her neck, while his were holding her bottom up. Smiling tenderly, I grabbed the cameraman and pointed him to the dance floor. He nodded and began snapping away.

Kale locked eyes with me and flashed his award-winning smile. He carefully picked his way over to us and deposited her in my lap. “I think it’s someone’s bedtime.” He told me in a knowing voice. “But first, I would like a dance,” he added while extending his hand to me.

“Kale, we’ve danced together for almost six years. Anyways, I have to get this one to bed. Have fun on your honeymoon.” I declined politely, shifting Ellie onto my hip so that I could grab my purse.

“Danni, please.” His eyes begged.

“Fine,” I succumbed, handing my child off to one of the cooing mothers. Flashing his smile once again, he led me to the dance floor, where the DJ put on a certain slow song.

I closed my eyes and took a ragged breath as Kale placed his hands on my back. Tears leaked out of my eyes as memories flooded my mind

“Shh, don’t think about it,” he soothed as we began to do a simple box-step. I wanted Kale to be someone else- I wanted him to turn into the guy who I hadn’t thought about in months. I fast-forward through my memories until it arrived to just a few minutes before.

“Kale, I want you to be the one to give Ellie away at her wedding. I want you to be the one she has her father-daughter dance with.”

“That’s random…and a little too soon to be thinking about, isn’t it?

I shook my head. “You’re going to basically be her father. You and Jared both…it’s only right that you share in the fatherly duties.”

He shook his head back at me. “Watch it- you’re already going to have a husband by then. He’ll do it, as well as help raise your little hellion.” He smirked.

“No, I’ve officially given up.”

“Why? You’ve dated.”

“Yea, and as soon as I said that I had a child, all of them split.”

“That’s no reason to-”

“He won’t get out of my head, ok? No matter what I do, he’s in there: taunting me and criticizing me…telling me how he could do it so much better…” tears were leaking out of my eyes. I quickly stepped out of my best friend’s arms and wiped away my tears. “I’m sorry to ruin your night. Have fun and call me when you get back.” I quickly grabbed my purse and daughter before heading home. Kale only lived a few blocks from my house, so I opted to walk earlier today. I was now thankful of my decision.

Ellie stirred and groggily opened her eyes when we were at the half-way marker. “Uncle Kale?”

“No, Sweetie, Uncle Kale and Uncle Jared are going on vacation. You’ll see them in a week.”

“Nooooo,” she whined, struggling to get out of my arms. I swear, she pulls energy out of thin air.

“Ellie, stop.” I commanded.

“I don’ wan’ them ta goooooo,” she whined louder, finally escaping my hold and running as fast as her little legs would carry her back in the direction that she came.

Giving an exasperated sigh, I ran after her. “ELLIE!” I screamed when she became consumed by the night. “ELLIE?!” Frantic, I dropped my purse and ran faster. Up ahead, I could make out the silhouette of a large, built man looking down toward the ground. Fear gripping me, I ran faster than I had ever ran in my life…in a floor-length dress and high-heels to boot. “STOP!!!!!!! THAT’S MY CHILD!” I screamed at the large form as soon as I saw my daughter’s bright eyes glitter in the house’s small glow.

“Mommy! Look! he colored himself!” she said with awe, pointing at the man’s colorful arms. “You is in twouble, mista. I hope your mommy doesn’t see.”

“Shh, I won’t tell if you don’t.” he replied in a strained voice as he got on her level. I approached the man with caution.

“I’m sorry about her. She’s a real wiggle worm when she doesn’t want to be held.”

“Not a worm,” Ellie pouted as I picked her up.

“Well then, I guess I have to tell your uncle he’s right- you are a demon.”

The guy laughed. “She’s cute.” It was only then did I see a glint of metal and a set of dimples that I knew too well.

“Well, we have to get going. It’s the demon’s bedtime. Goodnight.” I said quickly before turning around.

“Hey, Danni, it’s Brian’s kid, isn’t it?”

I turned back around. “No, I don’t know that name,” I lied, walking away with a determined step.
♠ ♠ ♠
Written & edited with one hand! Thanks to everyone who reprimanded me for typing with my bad wrist! I think I love my fans a little too much (j/k lol)

So, this is it for "Gin and Juice"...*tear* it's been fun...

xoxo
Bree