Status: First fanfiction please be nice

Faith

Faith

I struggled with the diaper bag and baby seat as I pushed through the doors of a small coffee shop, once inside finally I found a booth and set the seat down along with the diaper bag and lifted the blanket sighing in relief when I found that she was sleeping. The last two weeks had been overwhelming to say the least losing my best friend while she was giving birth to her beautiful little girl, and then finding out that she had put in her will that I was to adopt and raise the little girl was a little much. I didn’t even know that her pregnancy was high risk to her or the baby she had never told me that in her ever present goal to protect me from getting hurt well this time it didn’t work.
“What can I get ya honey?” The waitress asked.
“Coffee lots of coffee.” I sighed.
“New mommy?”
“Yes.” I faked a smile.
“In that case it’s on the house.”
“Thanks.” This time my smile was genuine.
I dropped my head in my hands when she walked away, and for the millionth time that day wondered what in the hell I was going to do. I was nineteen, and now I had a baby to think about. I felt the tears start to burn my eyes and I blinked them back squeezing my eyes shut so tight that there was no chance of them breaking free. The waitress returned placing a cup of coffee and a bowl with chocolate ice cream in in front of me.
“I didn’t order ice cream.”
“I know,” She smiled and pointed to a group of guys sitting across the shop, “The guy in the grey beanie did.”
I looked in the direction she pointed and noticed there were five guys sitting at the table and the one in the grey beanie was looking at me, I smiled and nodded my thanks.
“Just let me know if you need anything else.”
I nodded, after she walked off I checked on the baby one more time before taking a bite of the ice cream. I was halfway through my ice cream and coffee when she started to whimper I resisted the urge to groan and dropped my spoon and grabbed the bottle out of the diaper bag and quickly added the right amount of formula before lifting her out of her seat and cradling her then popping the bottle in her mouth all before she started screaming. I couldn’t help but smile at how much she looked like her mother Jenna had been my best friend since middle school, and this little girl had her eyes but had dark hair unlike Jenna’s blonde hair. I tucked the bottle under my chin successfully freeing up one hand and took another bite of my ice cream.
“Need some help?”
My head snapped up, causing the bottle to fall I barely managed to catch it before it hit the floor. I recognized him from somewhere, but my exhausted brain couldn’t figure out from where.
“You have an experience with babies?” I inquired.
“Enough to know how to hold and feed one.” He answered.
I don’t know what it was I but something told me I could trust him, so I nodded and passed him the baby and the bottle. He cradled her gently in his arms as he sat across from me in the booth and popped the bottle into her mouth.
“I assume she’s yours?” He asked.
“Not officially.” I blurted before I could stop myself.
He looked at me and arched a questioning eyebrow at me. I felt my face heat up a little bit I couldn’t believe I had just said that.
“What do you mean not officially?”
“I’m not going to tell you my whole story when I don’t even know your name.” I answered a little defensively.
“It’s Alex, Alex Gaskarth.”
“I knew I knew you from somewhere!” I exclaimed quietly, “My brain is a little fogging so I couldn’t place you. All Time Low is one of my favorite bands.”
“Now you know my name. The question is are you going to tell me yours?” He asked.
“Kathryn. Kathryn Henderson but I prefer Kat.” I answered.
“And this is?” He nodded at the baby in his arms.
“Faith Kathryn Landers soon to be Henderson.” I answered.
“You’re adopting a baby?” He questioned, “You can’t be more than nineteen.”
“I am nineteen and it’s a long story.” I stated.
“I’ve got time.” He shrugged.
I looked at my watch.
“I’ve got to get back to the hotel it’s time for Faith’s nap, and I need to make some calls.” I slid out of the booth.
I tossed some money on the table, and took Faith from Alex. I knew he was watching as I put the bottle back in the diaper bag then strapped her into her seat and covered her with a blanket, though it was spring it was still windy. I didn’t look at him as I shouldered the bag and lifted the seat then turned and started for the door. I was about a block away from the shop when I heard someone yelling my name, I groaned and turned to see Alex chasing me.
“Look I know you just met me and have no reason at all to trust me but here.” He held a phone out to me.
“I can’t take that.” I shook my head, “Who’s phone is that anyway?”
“Mine. I can always get a new one, take it just in case you need someone to talk too Zack’s, Jack’s, and Rian’s numbers are all programmed in call any one of them if you need me. We’re here if you need anything.” As he spoke he looked right into my eyes, “I’m going to stand here and bug you until you take it.”
He knew I was about to argue, and I knew he would keep arguing with, so with a sigh finally I gave in and took the phone sliding it into the side pocket of the diaper bag.
“Can I go now?” I asked now getting a little annoyed.
“Only if you let me get you a cab.” He grinned, and I knew no wasn’t an option.
“God you’re pushy.” I groaned.
“It’s part of my charm.” He grinned.
“I’m assuming cockiness is too.” I smarted.
He nodded as he moved to edge of the sidewalk and waved down a taxi. He opened the door for me and held the car seat as I slid in and buckled up then he buckled the seat in.
“Call if you need anything, no matter what time.” He told me.
“Don’t you have shows?”
“Not until Saturday night.” He stated again grinning.
He closed the door, then opened the front door and gave the cab driver some money, once we were moving I gave the cab driver the name of my hotel and sat back in my seat relaxing for the rest of the ride. When we finally got back to our room Faith was snoring in her seat so I set it in the portable crib the hotel had set up and plopped onto the bed laying down and trying to clear my head enough to go to sleep. I must have finally fallen asleep I don’t know how long I was asleep when I heard a phone ringing. I instantly sat up and grabbed the bedside phone.
“Hello?”
“Is this Miss Henderson?” A very official voice asked.
I glanced at the window noticing the sun was setting, I stood and walked over to the crib to find Faith awake and staring contentedly at the wall.
“Yes this is her.” I answered.
“This is Marie from social services.” The woman introduced herself.
“Okay.”
“We have a problem with your case.”
My heart plummeted when she said those words.
“What is that?”
“The first one is that you’re nineteen your still young and have your whole life a head of you.”
“I am aware of that, but I am prepared to do what I need to do to take care of Faith.” I stated.
“The second is you’re single, being nineteen and unmarried doesn’t make for a very strong case. I will do what I can to help you but your chances of keeping her no matter what is in your friend’s will are very slim.” Marie explained, “You’re in for a fight here, and you need to think long and hard about whether or not you’re prepared for this. You’re young you have you’re whole life ahead of you so many things you haven’t seen or done. You need to be prepared to give up a lot to raise a child especially on your own.”
“How long do I have to make the decision to go through with this or not?”
“I’ll call you back at noon tomorrow.”
“Okay.”
I hung up and sat on the edge of the bed and for the first time since this whole thing started, I let the tears slide free. I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t know how to fix it. I grabbed the diaper bag and pulled the phone from the pocket, before I could chicken out I tapped Jack’s name because it was the first one to pop up in the recents
“Hello?” he answered questioningly.
“I-it’s Kat, I-I need to talk to Alex.” I managed around the growing knot in my throat, I was working hard not to completely break down.
“Ri get Alex!” Jack yelled.
“He’s in the shower I am not going in there!” Rian shouted back.
“I don’t give a fuck if he’s in there jacking off get him now Kat’s on the phone.” Jack yelled back.
“Shit!” Rian responded.
“Kat are you okay?” Jack asked.
“No.” I stated simply.
“Kat?” Alex’s breathless voice was the one I heard next on the line, “Kat are you okay?”
“No everything’s falling apart.” I gulped in air trying to keep my emotions under control.
“Tell me where you’re staying and your room number and I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
“Holiday Inn about three blocks from the coffee shop room three hundred eleven.” I whispered.
“Holy shit that’s the same hotel we’re in. We’ll be there in five minutes.”
“We?”
“Yes we all of us are coming, someone is going to have to keep an eye on Faith while we talk. Trust me we’ve all had at least some experience with babies Jack has a nephew, and we do have friends that have kids.” Alex explained knowing exactly what I was worried about.
I hung up, knowing Faith needed a new diaper and a bottle I unstrapped her and lifted her gently I laid her on the bed then gathered the necessary things for the diaper change she fussed a little as I changed her and prepared her bottle. She gulped hungrily from the bottle I just stared at her praying silently that I would figure all this out. It wasn’t even five minutes when I heard knocking on the door, I took the bottle out of her mouth and placed her on my shoulder patting her back gently as I walked to the door. As soon as the door opened Jack took Faith from me.
“Where’s the diaper bag?” He asked.
I pointed not trusting my voice, he grabbed the diaper bag checked to make sure it had diapers and formula , and baby wipes before heading for the door again. I went to stop him but Alex held me back.
“It will be fine.” He assured me.
“We’ll all talk when you two are done.” Jack smiled and gave me a one armed hug, “We’re all here for you Kat. Though I don’t know what is going on we’ll figure something out.”
“Thanks Jack.”
He left then closing the door softly behind him. Alex waited patiently while I paced for a few minutes.
“Kat?”
I stopped pacing and looked at him, that’s when I lost all control of my emotions. All the anger, hurt, confusion it all came out in a rush of tears. Alex calmly crossed the room and gently lifted me into his arms then sat down on the bed setting me in his lap, he didn’t say anything just held me tightly while I cried. After about fifteen minutes of sobbing into his shirt the tears finally slowed enough that I sat up and looked at him, it took a few more minutes before I got up the nerve to answer the question in his eyes.
“My best friend Jenna found out she was pregnant about six months ago, she decided immediately that she was going to keep the baby and do whatever she had to do to take care of her and I promised to help her and be by her side every step of the way. I’ll never forget how ecstatic she was when she found she was having a girl and it took her all of ten minutes to decided to name her Faith Kathryn. Our motto has always been have faith but at the time I didn’t know that it was much more than that. I thought everything was fine, the baby was growing Jenna was healthy but I didn’t know that she had been diagnosed with placenta previa a condition where the placenta blocks the birth canal causing a danger to both her and the baby, if she went into labor on her own. She had scheduled a c-section but didn’t make it that far. That weekend was supposed to be our last weekend just us. So we drove to Indianapolis for a weekend of shopping, and just hanging out. On Saturday she decided to take a nap and I went to the pool, I had been gone maybe an hour when I got this horrible feeling that something was wrong and I raced back to the room, I found her in the bathroom in a pool of blood. I called an ambulance once at the hospital I wasn’t allowed to go back to surgery with her. The doctor came out about thirty minutes later and I knew. She died on the table she lost too much blood but they saved the baby. I found out two days later that she had a will because she knew that it was dangerous, she stated in her will that she wanted me to adopt Faith and raise her as my own and when she was old enough to make sure that I told her about her mother. Her parents quit talking to her when she decided to keep the baby, and she never told me about her condition she was always trying to protect me. Anyway within an hour I had lost my best friend and became a mother. I was handling it until the social worker called tonight and told me that my chances of adopting faith are slim because of my age and the fact that I am not married.” I let out a sob, “I can’t lose her Alex she’s all I have left of Jen. I feel like my world is falling apart around me and I’m helpless to stop it. I know I’m young but I will do whatever I have to do to provide for that baby, I love her I would give up my life for hers. I feel like I’m letting Jen down, I promised her that if anything ever happened to her I would take care of Faith, that I would love her and raise her as if she were my own. I have until noon tomorrow to come up with a plan to make this work.”
He was silent and I just stared into his eyes, I’d only known him a few hours but I knew he was thinking trying to come up with a plan to fix all of this, I also knew that whatever plan he came up with I would agree too because I would do whatever it took to keep my promise to Jenna.
“I know how we can fix this.” Alex suddenly stated.
“How? We get married, get all of your friends to lie about how long we’ve been together and we ride off into the sunset and raise Faith together?” I asked.
“Along with the help of Rian, Jack, Zack their girlfriends and our families.” Alex added, “You have to admit it’s a good plan.”
“But will it work?” I asked, “Seriously as far as social services know I don’t have a boyfriend and how are you going to explain not being here sooner?”
“We’ll tell them that because of being in a band we wanted to keep it secret so you didn’t get harassed, and that I came as soon as I could but I was on tour in the UK and you can’t just up and leave tour without making sure there is someone to cover for you but seeing as how I only had one show left you told me to go ahead and finish the tour. As soon as the last show was done I was on the next plane out, but we had a lay over in New York, so it took me a few days to get here, but I got here as soon as I could.” He explained.
“And what do we say when they ask how long we’ve been dating? They will call your parents and your friends parents you know.” I asked.
“We’ll say a year and trust me once everyone finds out what’s going on they will help.” He replied, “Come on lying isn’t the worst thing we’ve ever done you know.”
“Yes but this time if we get caught lying we could all go to jail.” I stated.
“I’m willing to take the risk.” He replied, “The question is are you.”
“Oh I’m willing to take the risk, but there is something you should know.”
“Oh really what’s that?”
“I don’t believe in divorce so if we’re going to do this we’re going to do whatever it takes to make it work. Once you say I do you’re stuck with Faith and I for the rest of your life, I’ve seen the damage divorce can do and I don’t want to put anyone through that.” I told him and looked straight into his eyes as I said it.
“Then we’re on the same page because I don’t either, I decided a long time ago that whoever I married for whatever the reason it was for life. I was there when Zack’s parents divorced, and when Rian’s did I’ll never forget how much it hurt them.” Alex grinned, “Plus I can see myself spending the rest of my life with you, raising Faith and maybe a couple more kids.”
“We’ll discuss the topic of more kids when Faith is two until then the answer is no.” I smiled, “But if we’re being completely honest I’ve only known you for a few hours but I can see spending the rest of my life with you too, I do however have a few rules that I would like to put into place.”
“Let me here them.”
“First Faith and I are a priority not an option. I’m not saying you have to drop everything every time I call but to know the difference between just needing to hear your voice and actually needing you to drop everything and come running. Two complete and total honesty at all times even if it’s blunt we shouldn’t have to worry about hurting each other’s feelings. Three you cut back on the drinking and partying I’m not saying give it up completely I’m just saying cut back. Four I don’t like being told what to do at all, I need you to learn when to tell me to sit down and shut up and when to let me go.” I listed them off.
“I think I can comply with those but you have to promise me something in return. I’ve been accused of cheating on girlfriends more times than I can count and I have never cheated on anyone, so I need you to promise me that before you go believing rumors you ask me out right first. Don’t go believing anything unless you hear it from Jack, Rian, Zack or their girlfriends Emma, Cassadee, and Katie.”
“I never believe anything unless it comes from a trusted source and right now I don’t have a lot of those. So I can do that.”
He leaned in a kissed me then and I didn’t hesitate to kiss back, an hour ago my world was falling apart and Alex came to the rescue and helped me pick up the pieces. He pulled back and slid me off his lap and onto the bed beside him, he stood and turned to me with a smile before leaning over and placing a hand on each side of me on the bed.
“Now I’m going to go check on Faith and make sure the guys can watch her for a few hours, while you get your cute little butt in the shower and get changed we are going out to dinner and then ring shopping.” He kissed me quickly then left the room.
I had no idea where we were going so I dug through my suitcase and settled on a knee fitted orange sundress that white polka dots on it, I coupled it with a white three quarter sleeved sweated and a pair of orange sandal heels. I added an orange chunky bracelet to the outfit, and a pair of orange drop ear rings. Then I grabbed my makeup bag and headed for the shower. I took a hot shower, when I was done washing hair and all that good stuff I wrapped my hair in a towel and emerged I air dried while I applied my makeup, then sprayed myself down with my coconut body spray. I decided to leave my hair alone when I removed the towel I did part it so it hung more to one side, and scrunched it a bit. Then I padded into the bedroom and dressed and checked myself in the mirror, that’s when I decided I needed to pack a few extra things for Faith just to make sure there was enough to get the guys through. I had just grabbed her blanket when there was a knock on the door. I practically ran to the door, I smoothed my dress and opened the door to find Alex dressed in black skinny jeans, black Nikes, a white dress shirt and a black vest over it he was holding one yellow rose.
“Did you swipe that out of the vase in the hall?” I asked.
“Hey when a guy’s on a time limit he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do.” He grinned and handed it to me.
“Thank you.” I gestured to bag on my shoulder, “I need to drop this off with the guys then we can head out.”
“That diaper bag was full what else does she need?” Alex arched an eyebrow at me.
“For one,” I pulled the blanket out, “she can’t sleep without this blanket, or her elephant. There’s also some extra diapers and a CD of music she likes.”
“Starting her off on music early huh?”
“I am determined to pass on my love of music.”
“Then let’s get going.”
He took my hand and pulled me out the door and closed it softly behind me, I let him lead me down the hall and around the corner my jaw dropped in shock when we stopped at a door.
“I didn’t realize you’re room was that close.”
He unlocked the door opened it and stepped aside to let me, what I found amazed me three grown men surrounding a baby on one of the beds they were singing to her, it brought tears to my eyes. I pulled out the phone Alex had given me earlier and recorded it.
“This is so going on you tube, face book, and twitter.” I whispered to Alex.
“A girl after my own heart.” He chuckled.
“Awe don’t you guys look so sweet.” I commented.
They all stopped and looked at me.
“Check it out everybody this is what All Time Low does when there is a baby around. Say hi to all your fans guys.” I told them.
“And no one is even drunk.” Alex came into view.
“No but we are definitely under the influence.” Rian smiled.
“Of what cuteness?” Alex smarted walking over and picking Faith up.
“Duh!” Jack exclaimed.
I stopped recording and slipped the phone back into the small purse that also contained my driver license, and a tube of lip gloss. I placed the bag on the bed.
“I brought you some extra diapers, wipes, formula, and a few extra outfits, her blanket and her elephant.” I showed them the blanket and the elephant.
Zack took the bag from me and we all sat down and Alex told them the plan, which to my surprise they all agreed to.
“Wait a minute so just like that you’re all agreeing to help someone you barely know?” I asked shocked.
“You need our help, and more importantly so does Faith. There is no way in hell she is going to be raised by complete strangers if we have anything to say to about it.” Rian stated.
“But you do all realize that if we get caught lying we will all be in deep shit right? So will everyone that lied for us.”
“That’s why we don’t get caught.” Jack shrugged like duh.
“Look we’ll call everyone and tell them the whole story and what’s going on and it will be all good.” Zack put in, “Trust us Kat it will all work out. We’ll do whatever it takes.”
“I wish I could be as sure as you guys are, but I’m willing to take the risk.” I nodded.
“Good now are you sure you guys can handle Faith here for a couple hours?” Alex asked.
“We got it dude.” Jack laughed.
“Do us all a favor don’t cheap out on the ring man.” Zack teased Alex.
“Don’t plan on it.” Alex grinned at me.
I took Faith from him and kissed her forehead I heard a distinct camera click before I looked up and passed her to Rian. I let Alex take my hand and lead me out of the room and down the hall to the elevator. We waited quietly for the elevator the doors dinged open and we stepped in as soon as the doors closed I turned to Alex nervous for the first time in his presence.
“Since we have decided to go through with this plan and everyone is on board I think I should tell you that I’m a virgin.” I blurted before I could chicken out.
“Really?” He looked shocked.
“Yes really is it really that out of the norm?” I questioned.
“When you think about it is, most people have given in just to get it over with by the time they turn nineteen.”
“You will quickly learn I am not like most people, and the opportunity has presented itself I just never saw sex as something casual, I always thought it was something shared by two people who cared deeply about each other.” I explained.
“I’ve already figured out that you aren’t like most people,” He smiled, “and every person I’ve had sex with I cared about. I’m not saying I loved them but I did care about them.”
“Fair enough.” I nodded.
“So no sex until we’re married?” He asked.
“That’s right.”
“Then you’re probably going to want to make sure you don’t wear too many dresses.” he stated as he looked me up and down before winding an arm around my waist and pulling against him, “Cause that dress is making it very difficult to keep my hands to myself.”
“Then I guess those leather pants I have in my suitcase are out of the question too.” I teased.
“Now your just torturing me.” He groaned.
I giggled and stepped back as the doors opened to the lobby. He led me out of the hotel and to a cab once we were settled he gave the driver an address and we were off. Alex kept his arm around me the whole ride, our first stop was a jewelry store. Alex paid the driver and held the door for me while I slid out. I was quiet as Alex opened the door for the store and held it for me. I entered in front of him.
“Take your pick.” Alex whispered sliding an arm around my waist.
“Nope. See the deal is you pick it, and I wear it. Not I pick it and I wear it.” I grinned and stepped out his grasp, “Let’s see how well you know me.”
I watched smiling as he examined the rings in the case, the look of concentration on his face was adorable. He looked for a good twenty minutes before stopping and his face broke into a wide smile.
“That one.” He stated confidently as he pointed.
“Do I need to size it?” The man asked as he pulled it out of the case.
Alex waved me over, I walked to his side and gasped loudly when I saw what he had chosen. He grinned a lifted my left hand and slid the ring on it fit perfectly.
“Do you like it?” He questioned when he saw the tears in my eyes.
“No,” I smiled, “I love it.”
He sighed in relief, he slid the ring off and handed it back to the jeweler the leaned over the counter and whispered something to him before the jeweler smiled and walked toward the back of the store.
“You better not be spending a shit ton of money on that Mr. Gaskarth.” I warned.
“Shut up and let me spoil you soon to be Mrs. Gaskarth.” He smiled.
The jeweler reappeared a few minutes later and handed Alex the box and Alex handed him some money and we walked out. Our next stop was a small café that served Italian food. We were led to table where we sat across from each other, it didn’t take me long to decided what I wanted so we ordered about five minutes after being seated.
“Do you always order tea?”
“Yep if they don’t have it I get sprite or root beer, I’m not a big fan of soda. I do however have a weakness for red bull.” I explained.
“Any other food preferences I should know about?”
“I’m allergic to honey. I don’t like oranges, but love the smell same with peaches. Really I’m not too picky when it comes to food.” I explained, “I love anything that has peanut butter in it though, it’s one of my weaknesses.”
“Well there is another thing we have in common I can’t live without peanut butter.”
“Definitely one of the necessities of life.” I agreed.
Our food arrived and we ate while making small talk, before long Alex had me laughing so hard my sides hurt with his stories from the road. I stopped though when I noticed he was watching me.
“What?”
“I like the sound of your laugh, and your smile is gorgeous.” He smiled, “When you laugh and smile your eyes sparkle.”
“Thank you.”
“So tell me a little about Jenna.” He said.
“She was tall, skinny to the point of looking anorexic, she had blond hair and brown eyes. She was shy until you broke through her shell once you did that she was a blast to be around. We met in middle school through our love for New Kids On The Block, she was the one there for me all through high school when my dad was drinking she was pretty much my rock. She made me laugh when I was down, we could have a whole conversation just from facial expression. She never rolled her eyes at me when I found a new band she’d just sit and listen to me go on and on. But I would do the same with her when it came to movies. She endured my Jonas obsession, my All Time Low excitement when I finally scored tickets to a show and shared my tears when I couldn’t go.” I smiled, “She was the one that came up with the plan to put domestic partner as relationship status so I could live my dreams of writing and taking pictures while she worked.”
“Shit you really did that?” He laughed.
“Hell yeah for all intensive purposes that’s basically what we were. We shared an apartment, neither one of us hardly dated. Her because she always fell to fast and hard and ended up getting hurt, and me because I can’t date a guy that just doesn’t share my love for music.” I explained, “When she got pregnant, we just told everyone that didn’t know better that she was artificially inseminated and left it at that. When the guy found out he left a note that he didn’t want anything more to do with her and if she wanted to keep the baby she would be raising it alone and took off. A few months later he legally signed over his rights.”
“And you stepped up to the plate?”
“Yep.”
“I’ve never met anyone like you. Someone who would just drop everything and raise a baby that isn’t yours because you promised to be there. Someone who not only loves music but gets it, someone who takes a situation by the horns and says look we’re doing this my way now.” He laughed.
“Like I said I hate being ordered around.” I shrugged, “Now I’m going to go see if I can find a bathroom.”
I slid back from the table and placed my napkin next to my plate before standing. It took me five minutes to find the bathroom, which I might add was very clean and smell free. Anyway after doing my business, and washing my hands the phone is my purse rang I checked to see who it was and it was Rian.
“Hey Rian what’s up?”
“Just checking to see how everything was going.” He chuckled.
“Fine.” I stated.
“Zack wants to make sure he didn’t cheap out on you.”
“Trust me when I tell you he didn’t.” I laughed, “Is that all you wanted?”
“Actually I really called to ask if we could keep Faith for the night, so you could get some rest, seriously K you looked exhausted. She’s asleep right now and we would be glad to take her for the night so you can get some rest.” He explained.
“I’ll have to think about it, you do realize she is only two weeks old she’ll be waking up every four hours for a diaper change and a bottle right?” I asked, “She doesn’t always go back to sleep right away either, she has to have music playing to sleep too.”
“I understand that K really we can handle it.” He chuckled, “Just think about it okay.”
“I’ll think about it I promise.” I promised, “Anything else?”
“Yeah do you like cheese cake?”
“Um that’s random but yes love it.”
“Okay thanks.” then he hung up.
I laughed to myself as I put the phone back in my purse, I examined myself in the mirror Rian was right I did look tired. I shrugged and shouldered my purse then left the bathroom and weaved my way around the restaurant back to the table. Alex was grinning from ear to ear as I sat down. I was about to ask what he was grinning about when a plate was placed in front of me by the waitress she winked at me and walked off. I looked back at Alex, who just pointed at the plate. I looked down at the plate in front of me and couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. In the middle of the plate was a slice of turtle cheesecake with the ring placed on the top, and the words will you marry me written in chocolate and caramel around the plate.
“Well?” Alex pressed when I didn’t answer.
“You see Mr. Gaskarth though this is a sweet gesture, I do believe you are actually going to have to say the words.” I grinned.
Without hesitation he reached over and took the ring off the top of the cheesecake, and took his time making sure all the stuff was cleaned off before pushing his chair back, kneeling in front of me and taking my left hand in his.
“Kathryn, I have never met anyone like you. From your love of music, to honoring your best friends wishes you never cease to amaze me. So please make me the luckiest bastard in the world, and marry me and let me help you raise Faith?” He asked looking up at me with hopeful eyes.
“Yes.” I nodded and stated confidently.
He slid the ring on my finger and stood pulling me with him, and he kissed me when he pulled back he was grinning again and I knew I was in trouble.
“Hey!” He yelled causing everyone to look at us, he pointed at me, “This girl just agreed to marry me!”
My face turned red as everyone applauded.
“Alex!” I hissed as I buried my red face in his shoulder.
I was eventually allowed sit down and eat my dessert with occasionally interruption of someone congratulating us or wanting to see the ring. I was all smiles when we left the restaurant. By the time we got back to the hotel I was ready to crawl in my pajamas and go to sleep. I let Alex help me out of the cab and hold me close as we stepped into the elevator.
“Tired?” He asked before pressing a kiss to the top of my head.
“Yes, very but I‘m thinking of taking a hot bath before I go to bed.”
“Want some company?” He asked as the elevator started moving.
I looked up at him a little shocked that he would ask.
“Alex we agreed no sex.” I stated.
“Showers are for sex,” He replied in a duh tone, “baths are for cuddling, talking, and let’s not forget the bubbles.”
“Good to know.” I nodded.
“So this bath,” He started.
“I suppose I could use some company.” I pointed my finger at him, “But no roaming hands mister.”
“Promise.” He smiled.
The elevators doors dinged open for us to find Rian wearing a sling on his front with Faith strapped in walking towards us.
“How do I look?” He asked modeling it when he got to us.
I cracked up, and had to lean on Alex to keep from falling over.
“Very manly dude.” Alex told him.
We followed Rian back to the room, wear Alex instantly started gathering his stuff, while I decided that Faith needed a bath and ran some water in the in the bathroom sink for her bath. When that was done I took Faith from Rian and laughed when he whined. I quickly bathed her and dressed in a pair of white pajamas that had yellow ducks on them about the only thing she had that wasn’t pink.
“Someone really needs to buy you stuff that isn’t pink.” I told her.
When we emerged from the bathroom the guys were all talking quietly but stopped as soon as they heard the door click shut.
“Okay what exactly were you all discussing that I don’t need to know about?” I asked.
Jack elbowed Alex who shook his head and elbowed Zack who also shook his head and elbowed Rian, Rian knowing there was no one else to do the job sighed and looked at me.
“While you guys were gone Alex’s mom called and I told her we were baby sitting and ended up with me telling her the whole story and our parents and flying out as soon as they can get a flight to meet up with us so they can meet you and Faith which means they should be here sometime tomorrow or the next day.” Rian told me.
“Guys if this is a joke it’s not funny.” I told them.
“It’s not a joke.” Jack stated, “They want to meet you and make sure we aren’t doing something stupid.”
“And do you do stupid things often?” I questioned.
“Pretty much on a regular basis.” Jack nodded, “Not like idiotically stupid usually it’s unintentional stupid stuff.”
“Like not thinking before you speak or like beating the crap out of someone before you stop to think if it’s a good idea or not.”
“Mostly like speaking before we think. Alex is really guilty of that one.” Zack chuckled.
“Hey I think before I speak I just say it anyway didn’t realize so many people actually gave a damn about what I thought about things.” Alex defended.
“The reason people care about what you think is because you live your life practicing what you preach.” I explained, “People respect that and look up to people who do that.”
I sat down on the bed opposite everyone else, and thought about this whole thing yet again was I really going to do this, truth be told I had already considered backing out but looking down at Faith then looking at the four men across from me I knew that I was doing the right thing for everyone. I just shook my head and smiled down at Faith.
“Oh little girl what have we gotten ourselves into?” I asked her.
As if understanding what I was saying she moved her little head from side to side as if to say I don’t know, I could help but laugh, my laugh ended with a yawn.
“Okay time to get you back to your room.” Alex stood and took Faith from me, “You need to sleep.”
I watched as he passed Faith to Jack who smiled, I knew Faith was in good hands.
“Night guys if you need me you know the number.” I waved as Alex pulled me out of the room and down the hall to mine.
As soon as we were in my room I slid my shoes off, and dropped my purse on the dresser, then moved to my suitcase and dug out a clean pair of pajamas, I went into the bathroom and started the water in the tub and plugged the drain. I pulled my hair up into a messy bun to keep it from getting wet, and washed my makeup off before putting two towels on the counter, and dumping some coconut bubble bath into the tub. I stripped down and wrapped one of the towels around myself, I took my dirty clothes into the bedroom and put them into a bag.
“Do you always run around in nothing but a towel in front of strange men?” Alex asked.
“Sometimes I even run around naked in front of them.” I stated with a grin as I turned to face him.
“Really?” He arched an eyebrow at me.
“Are you challenging me mister Gaskarth?” I questioned arching my eyebrow.
“I do believe I am.” He grinned.
I locked eyes with him, and with a shrug and grin let my towel fall to the floor. The look on his face was priceless.
“I’m going to take a bath,” I smiled, “When you pick your jaw up off the floor join me.”
Still smiling I left the door open a crack then stepped into the tub, the hot water felt amazing I leaned my head back on the edge of the tub and closed my eyes and relaxed with a sigh. I heard the door creek open and opened my eyes to find Alex standing there no shirt, shoes, or socks in just his jeans hands shoved deep in his pockets looking nervously at me.
“Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked.
“You’d think you’d never been in a tub with a naked girl before.” I laughed.
“Don’t laugh I’m trying to be serious here, I don’t want you doing anything you’re not comfortable with.” He stated.
“I have seen naked men before Alex,” I rolled my eyes, “I’m not doing anything I don’t want to do.”
He still looked worried, I turned my back towards him.
“If you’re that nervous I won’t even look.” I said biting back my laughter.
“Don’t laugh at me.”
“I’m not laughing I swear.” the giggle that slipped out gave me away.
“You have a tattoo?” Alex questioned running the tip of one finger over the dove on my right shoulder.
“Three actually.” I replied, I turned my head and bent my right ear down.
“Lost in stereo?”
“I have this really bad habit of getting so caught up in songs that I completely block everything else out, I have music notes behind my other ear.”
I turned my head and showed him, I shivered involuntarily when he ran a finger over them.
“Music is big part of my life, I couldn’t live without it. I have sense of how an album is going to do, I’ve only been wrong once. I was shocked that Dirty Work didn’t do as well as I expected I loved it.” I explained, “It showed how much you guys have grown as people, and as a band. I loved seeing the softer side of All Time Low, don’t get me wrong I love your in your face here it is take it or leave it stuff, but I loved how a lot of the songs off of Dirty Work made me stop and listen. I think people hated it or criticized it they didn’t understand it or just didn’t take the time to even try.”
I turned around and looked at him.
“So are you getting in or not?” I asked.
“First I want to know what you’re favorite song on the album is.” He stated.
“Daydream away,” I smiled, “We’ve all been in that spot where you’re head over heels in love with someone but afraid to say anything because you’re either afraid it will completely mess up what you already have, or they won’t feel the same way. So sit back, keep your mouth shut and watch from afar as they go on with their lives oblivious to you and how you feel.”
“You’re the first person outside of the band to actually get that song, it almost got cut from the album.” He explained, “Now I’m glad it didn’t get cut.”
I watched as he finally stripped and stepped into the tub sinking into the water behind me, then he pulled me against his chest. We sat in the tub talking until the water turned cold before getting out dressing and crawling into bed, only to woken up early the next morning with a phone call from Rian that their parents were waiting in the lobby. I dressed quickly in a pair of skinny jeans, a yellow top, and yellow heels. I left my hair down and applied light make up. I grabbed a cute frilly purple dress and shoes for Faith and rushed over to the boys room only to find that they had dressed her in a black dress that had a hot pick tutu looking thing on it, with matching diaper cover that had hot pink ruffles, the top said My Daddy‘s a Rockstar. She was also wearing a black head band that had studs on it, adorned with huge pink flower.
“Hope you don’t mind we got her ready.” Zack explained.
“She looks adorable,” I smiled and took her from him, “I’m guessing you guys went shopping.”
“Yeah we’ve been up since eight.” Rian nodded
“So we took her shopping.” Jack added.
“Well at least it’s hot pink.” I sighed.
“Are we ready?” Alex asked.
He took Faith from me when I nodded, Zack grabbed her car seat and the diaper bag and the six of us exited the room and walked to the elevator, I fidgeted nervously the whole elevator ride.
“Chill they’re gonna love you.” Alex laughed.
“I wish I could say that helps.” I replied.
The elevator stopped and I inhaled a deep breath and let it out when the doors opened, I took Faith from Alex and Alex placed his arm around my shoulders leading me forward and kissing my temple. I stood back while the boys greeted their parents, then Alex pulled me toward his parents.
“Mom, dad this is my fiancé Kat and my daughter Faith.” He pointed to each of us, “Kat, these are my parents Isobelle and Henry.”
Isobelle gently hugged me then reached for the baby.
“May I?”
I nodded and placed Faith in her waiting arms, I watched tears in my eyes as Alex’s parents looked at her as if she were their real granddaughter. I realized suddenly that I was going to loose it so I scanned the hotel lobby for a bathroom it didn’t take long to find it.
“I’ll be right back.”
That was all I said before I practically ran for the bathroom, I knew Alex was following but that knowledge didn’t slow me down at all. Alex caught my arm when I was steps from the door.
“Kat don’t run from me.” Alex begged pulling me to a stop.
“I’m not running from anyone, I need a few minutes to get my emotions under control is all.” I explained, “I don’t want everyone seeing me like this.”
“What’s got you so upset?”
“I’m not upset,” I replied, “it’s all just really sinking in now, that Faith is going to have a family grandparents, aunts, uncles, and two parents that love her.”