Couldn't Stop Caring

Never Will, Never Will

Life on the ground had changed for everyone following Clarke's departure. In some ways things had grown harder; but in many, things had become easier. With one leader there was no confusion; there was no worrying about sides or attempts at hiding actions. But it was, perhaps, the many losses that made up the hardest part of life without Clarke. While she walked away from everything that reminded her of the many deaths, the other survivors were not as lucky.

The petite body of Raven Reyes could be seen moving from one end of a clearing to the other - the brace on her leg still aiding in movement. It was only after two hours of back and forth and back and forth walking that her eyes fell on the encampment where everyone was likely to be enjoying berries or just cracking their eyes to the new day. Her face scrunched up under her hands as she let out a frustrated groan. "When will I ever feel better?"

"Maybe when you learn to relax."

Words mumbled as an afterthought weren't supposed to get answers. "Great advice," she rebuked, nodding as he passed her a canteen. "Thanks."

Despite the chilly morning wind breezing through the trees neither Bellamy or Raven looked cold without their layers, but they both leaned a little closer to one another as a large boulder became a chair. Raven busied herself with the water that slipped down her throat in sips and the brace on her leg that called out to be loosened. Vein patterns on leaves and the color variation of twigs seemed to hold Bellamy's attention. "Berry for your thoughts?" he deadpanned, pulling out a handful of ripe, red berries from his vest pocket.

"I'm just so scared."

While Raven's downcast eyes hid her tears, Bellamy didn't miss the knitting of her brows or the way her breathing faltered and sped up. Squeezing her eyes shut, she leaned into the warm mass that was Bellamy's side; his arm creating a blanket of protection around her. "What of?"

Voices belonging to Kane, Octavia, and some of the others could be heard floating through the trees. Another day on the ground. But what was another day to everyone else was a reminder of lonliness to Raven. The thought made her sigh. "Just everything, Bell... I feel so alone now, and everything is starting to feel so hard; falling, getting back up, jumping, landing."

Tense air transformed into the breath of ease at his laugh, and into a numbing abyss at his seriousness. "It's easy to fall, you just fall. And it's easy to land, you just land. It's the jump. The jump is the hard part."

"And what if you're afraid of heights?" She almost didn't notice that he had pulled her closer, a protective squeeze bringing warmth to her body as their eyes met.

"Then I guess you just need to have faith."