‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

14: You Forgot Something

“Do you want something to eat?” Sergio posed as he wandered back towards the table that Emilie sat at, placing the cup of tea she had asked for down ahead of her. It wasn’t the most romantic setting, the small café that Emilie frequented wasn’t the most appealing place to spend a date, but Sergio knew that Emilie would love it. It was a safe place for her, familiar and comfortable, and that was all he wanted. She tended to get quiet and closed off if she thought people were looking at her.

“Not right now” Emilie noted, taking the warm drink gratefully “Why don’t you sit down?” she added, nudging the chair opposite her with her foot.

Sergio placed his own drink down onto the table and shrugged out of his coat, settling into on the back of his chair. “How’s work been?” he posed.

“It’s still just stacking books” Emilie replied, sipping on her drink.

“How long are you going to keep that up for?” Sergio followed up, his eyes trained attentively on her. He knew how much she liked her work, for as long as he had known her, it had been apparent that she loved what she did, but he wanted to know how long she intended to keep working for. She was already 3 months gone, almost 4, and he didn’t want her doing too much. He wanted the pregnancy to be smooth.

“Before the babies?” she posed.

Sergio nodded his head. “You do a lot of lifting, something which probably isn’t fantastic for our bump” he noted gently.

Emilie nodded her head softly. “It isn’t, but I need something to keep the money coming in. I’m barely covering rent, even with help from my parents, and I have a lot to think about. I need to think about a nursery at some point” she noted gently.

“I could help, and you know it too” Sergio reasoned gently.

“Sergio…”

“They’re mine too, Emmy” he reminded her softly “And I would be more than willing to help you out in any way I can, you know that. Just say the word and you’ve got it” he insisted.

Emilie offered him a slightly dubious look before she turned her stare back down to her tea, stirring it absently until he reached his hand out, capturing her smaller one with ease. “Tell me what you need, Em” he insisted gently.

Emilie sighed. “Can we talk about it later?” she mumbled gently “This is supposed to be a date, isn’t it?” she posed, her blue eyes peeking up at him shyly.

Sergio offered her a dubious look, but nodded his head nevertheless. He was sure that a conversation about her pregnancy could wait for a little while.

“How’s the season going?” Emilie posed.

“You’ve not been watching?” Sergio teased.

Emilie spared a small laugh. “Oddly enough, no” she teased.

“It’s going well” Sergio mused gently “We’re a couple of points behind, but that’s nothing we can’t make up. You and Isla should come to a game” he added, sipping on his drink.

“You really want me to do that?” Emilie posed.

“I like showing off for you” Sergio replied with a small shrug that made Emilie laugh, a sound he’d missed immensely since they’d called it quits.

~#~
“Cristiano really did that?” Sergio posed as he walked beside Emilie, their hands swinging between them. It had been a nice night, after the small hiccup at the beginning, it had fallen back into a familiar rhythm and Sergio was glad. For the first time in a little while, things between him and Emilie felt good and he was determined to build on it. He missed feeling relaxed and comfortable around her.

“He did” Emilie confirmed “He came over with this bouquet of flowers and refused to leave until Isla spoke to him. He was sat outside our apartment for like 3 hours before Isla finally let him in. It only took them ten minutes before they were all over one another again” she mused with a little smile.

Sergio chuckled. “He told us she made the first move” he teased.

“Well, she kissed him before he kissed her” Emilie grinned as they moved towards her apartment block.

Sergio shook his head. “They’re so similar it hurts” he mused.

“Stubborn” Emilie contributed.

“Like you” Sergio countered playfully.

Emilie offered him a mock glare, something which made him grin as he slipped his arm to her waist, pulling her a little closer to him. “You know that you’re the most stubborn girl in the world” he whispered into her ear, pressing a light kiss to the side of her face.

“The stubborn girl you couldn’t let go of” Emilie teased back, leaning into his embrace a little more.

Sergio flexed his arm. “I’m not going to let go of you again, either” he mused “You’re stuck with me forever, whether you like it or not” he added, his hand ensuring that it brushed against her small bump.

Emilie shook her head, a small laugh falling out of her mouth as they reached the lobby of her apartment building. “You’re going to have to let me go right this second” she teased as she unwound the arm which rested around her waist “You’re going back to yours and I am not. This is where we say goodnight” she added.

“I can’t walk you upstairs?” Sergio protested, pouting slightly.

“I think I can handle that by myself” she noted.

“Emmy…”

“It’s 3 flights of stairs, Sergio” Emilie interjected gently “I’ll be fine” she added with a little smile.

Sergio offered her a look, something which made Emilie shake her head. “Buenos noches, Sergio” she mused as she moved to step away from him fully.

“You’re forgetting something” Sergio protested, trailing her across the lobby.

Emilie stopped in her tracks, a small smile filling her face. “And what would that be?” she posed, not looking back at him.

“I can hear that smile, you know” Sergio noted as he reached around her, taking her hand so that he could turn her to look at him “You know what you forgot” he added.

Emilie shrugged. “Maybe I do” she teased “Or maybe I don’t” she added.

“You’re a pain” Sergio noted, tugging her a little closer.

“You’re the one who wanted to date me again” Emilie pointed out.

“You’re not putting up the biggest fight, Emmy” he noted.

“I missed you” Emilie admitted softly.

Sergio quirked a little smile before he ducked his head, stealing a couple of quick pecks. Emilie smiled a little, her hands reached up to the back of his neck, deepening the kiss briefly before she pulled away from him. “Buenos noches, Sergio” she smirked as she stepped away from him, making her way towards the stairs.

Sergio watched her go and shook his head. He was sure he could get used to them being together again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and Jayme112234 for the comments :)