‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

23: You’re Doing A Good Job

Stretching her back, Emilie let out a small groan, her hand rubbing at the spot where her muscles twanged. It was getting closer, after her conversation with Sergio’s parents, almost 2 months had passed, and Emilie was counting down the days until the twins were born. It still scared her, the idea that in just a matter of weeks, she would have the two babies in her arms, but with all the aches and the pains she was enduring, she couldn’t wait to get it over with, even if a small part of her would miss the sensation of being pregnant, she couldn’t wait for the aches and the pains to subside.

“You’re ok” Sergio’s voice mumbled sleepily, his hand replacing hers and rubbing small circles into her back.

“I am not Ok” Emilie grumbled “I ache, everywhere, I barely got any sleep thanks to their kicking, and now I need to pee, again” she added, her voice irritated and tired. It had gotten worse, since she had entered the eighth months of her pregnancy, the movement of the twins as well as the aches had pains had gotten worse, and she was starting to get more and more irked, something which tended to make her all the more emotional. One moment, she was the life of the party, bright and cheerful, and the next she was a weeping mess.

Sergio, who’d partially fallen back to sleep, sighed, pushing himself up slightly. “I’ll help you” he noted as he carefully got up, moving around to her side.

Emilie sighed. “Sorry” she murmured “I keep snapping” she added, shaking her head gently.

“You’re allowed to” Sergio smiled as he carefully moved to take her hands, helping her back up to her feet “Em, you’re uncomfortable and you’re probably going to be for a few more weeks yet, but I don’t mind. You’ve done a great job up til now and if you need to snap someone, snap at me” he encouraged gently as he led her towards the bathroom.

Emilie shook her head. “I don’t mean to” she added.

“I know” Sergio assured her gently, his hand gently pushing her hair off of her face.

“I’m sorry” she repeated.

Sergio shook his head and placed a little kiss on her head. “You’re fine” he assured her gently “Now, you should really get in there. We’ve got a day ahead of us” he added, gesturing towards the bathroom.

He knew she wouldn’t like it, if he knew one thing about Emilie it was that she hated to be the centre of attention, but Adelina hadn’t been able to take no for an answer. The twins were her first grandchildren and, despite her knowledge of Emilie liking to keep herself to herself, she’d been insistent on throwing a baby shower, something which Sergio had agreed to help her with. He knew that Emilie wouldn’t love it, but it was something he wanted to do for her. He wanted to spoil her a little for the last few weeks they had before the twins made their first appearance.

“We do?” Emilie posed, waddling into the bathroom.

Sergio nodded. “I have plans” he noted “And most of them involve you not being dressed in your pajamas” he added.

Emilie offered him a slightly dubious before she padded into the bathroom, quietly closing the door.

Sergio watched her go, hoping that that day went down well with her.

~#~
“You bought me to my parents’ house?” Emilie posed as she looked up at Sergio, her eyebrow lifted a little.

Sergio nodded his head. “Your mother invited us” he noted gently “And I want to keep on your parents’ good side. We’re probably going to see a lot of them in the next month or so” he added.

Emilie offered him a slightly dubious look before she carefully pushed the car door open.

Sergio carefully pushed the driver’s side door open and sped around to her side, helping her up onto her feet. “You don’t have to help me to stand up all of the time” Emilie teased gently “I can do it” she added.

“I know” Sergio replied gently “I am merely trying to be helpful” he added with a grin.

Emilie flashed him a small smile and kissed him sweetly before she made her way up the path, Sergio following along behind her. “You promise not to be mad at me when you get in there, right?” he posed as he carefully knocked on the door. He wanted to do it, he wanted to celebrate the impending birth, but he doubted that Emilie would enjoy it as much as he would.

“Why would I be mad at you?” Emilie posed.

“Just say you won’t be” Sergio replied as Charlie pulled the door open.

Emilie offered him an odd look before she moved to greet her father who was already cooing over the size of her bump. Sergio flashed the older man a small smile before he reached out for Emilie’s hand, carefully leading her through to her parents’ living room where a small chorus of surprise echoed.

Emilie startled, her blue eyes scanning over the group of people who inhabited the room.

“That’s why” Sergio mumbled as he moved his arms around her waist.

“You knew?” Emilie squeaked, trying to compose herself.

“Of course he did” Adelina grinned as she moved to greet her daughter, pecking her cheeks gently “He helped set it up” she added.

“He did?” Emilie posed, offering her boyfriend a look which, to him at least, was undecipherable.

Adelina nodded. “Always so helpful” she grinned before she took Emilie’s hand, pulling her towards the couch where the group of women, mostly aunts and cousins, proceeded to fuss over her.

Sergio watched her for a second, his weight leant against the doorframe, before he felt a tap on his shoulder. “A few of the guys are in the kitchen” Charlie noted, offering him a warm smile “You’re more than welcome to join us. It’s me, Oscar, and a few of Emmy’s uncles and cousins” he added.

Sergio offered him an appreciative smile, but shook his head. “I’d rather stick with Em” he noted gently.

Charlie nodded his head. “You’re doing a great job, Sergio” he complimented kindly before he stepped away, affording Sergio the chance to pad towards the couch, settling himself down beside Emilie who quickly gripped onto his hand in search of comfort.

“You’re fine” he mused as he leant over, kissing her temple lightly.

~#~
“I have no idea where we’re going to put all of this” Sergio complained as he placed the last box of things into the back of his car. It had been a pleasant afternoon, Sergio had enjoyed spending time with Emilie’s family, and he knew that Emilie had enjoyed herself, even despite her reservations, it had been a pleasant day for her.

“I think we could leave it at yours” Emilie replied from her spot on the door step “My apartment’s fit to burst” she added.

“I am sure we’ll find somewhere” Sergio noted, closing the trunk “You ready to go?” he added.

“My mother’s packing me a goody bag” Emilie replied “Apparently, I can never have enough home cooked food” she added.

“She’s a cooing abuela-to-be. Let her have her fun” Sergio mused as he stepped towards her, carefully helping her back to her feet “In a few weeks, we’re not going to be able to get rid of her, or my mother for that matter” he added, his hand carefully brushing over her bump.

Emilie admired the small tender action before she carefully leant up, pressing a sweet kiss to his lips. “Thank you for today” she murmured.

“You’re thanking me?” Sergio posed, a small smile on his face.

Emilie nodded. “I don’t like fuss, I never have, but today…today was good” she noted “I mean, I didn’t realize I had so many aunts or cousins, but it felt nice” she rambled.

Sergio smiled and kissed her head, mumbling that she was welcome.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)