‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

25: They’re All Ours

“I think we’re ready to start pushing” Sofia mused with a small smile, her eyes peeking at the expectant couple who had been breathing through Emilie’s latest contraction. It had taken a little while, after reaching 8cm rather quickly, it had taken a little longer than expected for Emilie to reach ten, but Sofia was thrilled by her progress. Everything seemed in good order and the midwife was confident that Emilie’s twins would arrive with no complication.

Emilie, who had taken to cursing under her breath throughout her contractions, swallowed. “Really?” she posed.

“10cm” Sofia noted gently “I’m just going to get changed and we’ll get this show underway, shall we?” she smiled comfortingly.

Emilie nodded her head shyly and moved to find Sergio’s hand, offering it another tight squeeze. “We’re almost there” the defender noted gently as his brushed his thumb over her hand, offering her a little smile “Just a little while longer” he assured her gently. He knew that she was still scared, he could still see it on her face and in her blue eyes, but he had opted to remain positive. One of them had to at least appear confident and he hoped that if he kept going, it would catch on with her. They were both new at it, neither one of them had a great deal of experience when it came to children, but he was sure that they would be fine. Emilie was born to be a mother, even if she couldn’t quite see it herself, and he hoped she would feel better once the twins were sat in her arms for the first time.

“Alright, Emmy” Sofia noted as she stepped back into the room, her familiar smile on her face “When I tell you to, I need you to push as hard as you can, understand?” she posed as she settle down at the foot of the bed.

Emilie nodded, her hand nervously fidgeting in Sergio’s.

“Alright, when the next contraction hits, go for it, Ok?” Sofia posed.

Emilie nodded her head in understanding before she felt the contraction building, causing her to let out a small groan.

“Go with it, Emmy” Sofia encouraged “Push as hard as you can for as long as you can” she added.

Emilie made a sound of discomfort, somewhere between a groan and a scream, and pushed as hard as she could, falling back into the bed with a whimper. “I can’t” she protested, her blue eyes tearfully looking over at Sergio “It hurts” she protested.

“You’re doing so well, Emmy” Sergio murmured as he pressed a kiss to her clammy forehead.

“It really hurts, Sese” she sniffled gently “I can’t” she added.

“Of course you can” Sergio replied gently “Come on, Em, you’re stronger than you think. It’s just a few more pushes and then we have our twins. You can” he insisted warmly.

Emilie looked at him for a second, her blue eyes wide and tearful, before she swallowed, nodding her head gently as another contraction began to build.

~#~
“Congratulations, you two” Sofia whispered quietly as she moved to clear away the last of the equipment, her eyes peeking up at the couple who were settled on Emilie’s bed, their two newborns sleeping quietly in their arms. It hadn’t taken long, Emilie had moved through labour quickly and, two minutes after her son was born, she had welcomed her daughter, both of which were of a healthy weight and size.

Sergio, who was holding the little girl, smiled. “Gracias for your help” he noted gently.

“It’s my job” Sofia smiled “I’ll come back in a little while to check on Emilie and the twins and to sort out registering them. Is there anyone you’d like to call for you?” she posed.

“I’ve got it” Sergio smiled.

Sofia nodded her head and quietly slipped out of the room, allowing Sergio to turn back to the little girl who slept in his arms. She was tiny, smaller than he had thought she would be, but he couldn’t stop looking at her, or at her brother who was sleeping quietly in Emilie’s arms.

“Are you going to make the calls soon?” Emilie posed, shifting their son slightly in her arms.

“In a little while” Sergio replied “I kind of like it being me, you, and them” he added.

Emilie smiled. “I can’t believe we made them” she murmured, her fingers carefully moving through the small tufts of brown hair which were on the little boy’s head.

“We did” Sergio smiled “They’re all ours” he added.

“Have you come up with names for them?” Emilie mused, her hand just about stifling a yawn.

“I have” Sergio noted “And you don’t have to say yes. We can take our time if you want to” he added. He didn’t want her to feel pressured, they had plenty of time to come up with the perfect names for the twins, but he did want to come up with them sooner rather than later. It merely didn’t feel personal enough to keep referring to them as ‘baby boy’ and ‘baby girl’ Ramos Smith.

“I know” Emilie noted, sparing him a little smile.

“I liked Ethan and Esmé” he noted gently.

“Esmé?” Emilie posed.

“Short for Esmeralda, I figured we’d hardly ever use her full name” Sergio replied, a small grin playing at the corner of his mouth “You said you liked the idea of the shared first letter, and these were the two names I liked best. We don’t have to go with them” he repeated gently.

Emilie contemplated the names for a second before their son made a small noise, calling Emilie’s attention towards him. Sergio watched her and smiled, leaning over to press a soft kiss to the top of her head. “You did amazingly today” he noted gently.

Emilie, who was smiling a little at their son, shook her head. “It was worth it” she murmured, her fingertips brushing over the little boy’s stomach “Esmé and Ethan are worth it” she added, peeking up at the defender.

“You like them?” he posed.

“I do” Emilie nodded gently “They might take a little getting used to, but I think you’ve done a lovely job” she enthused.

Sergio smiled gently before he ducked down, pressing a kiss to the top of Esmé’s head as he mumbled to her gently. It was going to take some getting used to, Sergio still wasn’t quite used to being with Emilie again, but he knew that they would somehow make it work. Between them, he was confident that they would do a good job.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19 and FootieJo for the comments :)