‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

28: I’d Like Nothing More

“It’s ok” Emilie murmured as she brushed her fingertip against Esmé’s tiny cheek, trying to soothe the little girl before she woke up her brother again. It had been a long night, not long after Emilie had fallen asleep with Sergio’s arm wrapped around her waist, Ethan had stirred, waking up his sister who had taken a little while to settle back to sleep. She had been expecting it, Sofia and Adelina had been quick to warn her of the irregular sleeping patterns of newborn infants, but Emilie didn’t mind being out of bed.

After Sergio’s request that she move in with him, she hadn’t been sleeping particularly well.

She knew that it made sense, when he wasn’t playing with Madrid, they tended to spend all of their nights together anyway, but still it made her a little uncomfortable. They were still piecing themselves together again, with the twins to focus on, they’d not really paid a great deal of attention to themselves, and she didn’t want to barrel in. They’d gotten ahead of themselves before and, with Ethan and Esmé to think of, she didn’t want to fall apart again.

“Sueño, cariño” she added, pressing a soft kiss against the little girl’s head. Esmé stirred a little in her sleep, but settled quickly, affording Emilie the chance to move to her feet, settling the girl against her mattress before she stepped out of the nursery, making her way back towards the bedroom where Sergio sat up, watching her back into the room.

“You should have woken me” the defender murmured gently, sparing a little yawn.

“You were out for the count” Emilie replied, sitting herself down against the mattress “I didn’t want to bother you. You looked so comfortable” she added.

Sergio shook his head. “I am here to help, Emmy” he noted as he edged towards her, pressing a light kiss to her shoulder “There are two of them, and two of us” he added gently, his hand brushing her lower back.

“I know” Emilie replied “But I was up and they settled quickly. You can rest assured, if I need you, I will come and get you” she added.

Sergio nodded and pressed another kiss to her shoulder, carefully helping her to lay down beside him. “I’ll get the next one” he insisted.

Emilie nodded her head softly and moved to cuddle into her pillow, affording Sergio the chance to place his arm around her, holding her against him. “You’re thinking again” he murmured knowingly. He knew she hadn’t said anything, it was her way when she was getting into her own head again, but he didn’t want it going unnoticed. Emilie tended to do things that she regretted when she thought too much.

Emilie sighed.

“I scared you earlier” Sergio mumbled, his fingertip lightly brushing over her stomach where his hand sat “By asking you to move in?” he posed.

“I…I just don’t think…”

“Emmy, I know what you think” Sergio interjected gently “You think it is too soon, that we’re rushing us just because of Esmé and Ethan, but you also know it makes sense. You’re a wonderful madre, I’ve seen that since they put our babies in your arms for the first time, but you’re going to need me” he insisted gently.

“I don’t want to screw up” Emilie protested gently “I don’t want to lose us again, Sese” she added.

Sergio smiled and leant over, pressing a soft kiss to her shoulder blade. “The only way you’re going to mess this up is if you keep getting the wrong idea into that head of yours” he murmured “Emmy, the only thing stopping us falling back into what we were is your nerves. I am happy to be patient, I showed that to you first time around, but you and I both know that we have the ability to be good together. You’ve just got to let us” he noted softly. He didn’t want to blame her, when they’d ended their relationship the first time around, it had been on both of them, but Emilie’s nervousness was the cause. She’d worried once too many times and he had overreacted.

Emilie sighed. “This isn’t a strength of mine” she murmured, her fingers toying with his which sat on her stomach.

Sergio chuckled. “In almost 2 years, I had kind of noticed” he teased.

Emilie rolled her eyes. “I want to be confident about this, about us, but I just can’t seem to be” she mumbled.

Sergio sighed. “What is it that bothers you so much? Emmy, if I wanted to be with someone else, I would be. I wouldn’t lead you on or pretend to have feelings I don’t. I’m here because I want to be here, because I want to fall asleep at night beside you and wake up to the sight of you and our twins. I’m here because I love you, not because I have to be” he insisted gently.

Emilie shifted, rolling over slightly to look up at his face.

“Emilie, I love you” Sergio repeated gently.

Emilie watched him, noting the warmth and affection in his face, before she ducked down, kissing him gently.

“Let me be there, Em” he mumbled as he pulled away from her “Let me take care of you, and the twins” he added.

Emilie shifted a little hesitantly before she nodded her head, her teeth softly biting down on her lip. “Alright” she murmured.

“Alright?” Sergio pressed.

“If this is really what you want, me and the twins here with you, then alright. You’re right, I am going to need you, there are two of them and only one of me and I am nervous anyways, but only if this is what you want” Emilie babbled.

Sergio sat up slightly, his hand gently brushing the loose ginger hair away from her face. “Emilie, there’s nothing I would like more than for you and the twins to be here all of the time. I’ve wanted to ask you since the second you told me that you were pregnant” he insisted gently. He had given it a lot of thought, for the 6 months that he had known about Emilie’s pregnancy, he had been itching to ask her to live with him, but he hadn’t wanted to pressure her. It hadn’t been until Esmé and Ethan had been born that he knew that he had to ask. Whether she wanted to admit it or not, Emilie would struggle with two children and he wanted to be the one who helped her.

Emilie nodded. “Alright then” she conceded “I will talk to my papa and Oscar about moving my things. I will stay here with you” she agreed gently.

Sergio smiled and pressed a kiss to her shoulder, mumbling that she had made the right call.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)