‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

33: As Long As You Want Me

Pushing a hand back through her hair, Emilie took a step back from the scene ahead of her, her blue eyes meticulously studying the setting she had worked hard to put together. It wasn’t very much, after the extravagant dinner and hotel that Sergio had splurged on a few days previous, it paled a little in comparison, but it was something she wanted to do, even if Sergio hadn’t been pushing her. She wanted to show him that she was where she wanted to be.

It had taken her a few days, after Isla’s harsh words, she had been forced into thinking about what it was she really wanted, and whilst she still remained a little nervous, she knew that she couldn’t push Sergio away again. There was only so many times that he could put it back together and Emilie didn’t want to make him do it again, especially with the twins around, she merely wanted to make it work.

“Em, are you here?”

Emilie startled a little at the sound of her boyfriend’s voice before she turned towards the doorway, her hands subconsciously smoothing out the material of the shirt she wore as her blue eyes peeked at the defender. “You’re early” she murmured.

Sergio, who’d been staring around the room, nodded his head slowly. “Benitez was feeling nice and let us go early” he mused, studying the room carefully “What’s all this for?” he added.

Emilie nibbled on her lip briefly before she let out a small sigh, the stare of her blue eyes falling on her shoes. “I…I wanted to surprise you” she stammered gently.

Sergio tilted his head slightly, a mildly amused smile appearing at the corner of his mouth. “You wanted to surprise me?” he posed, his voice light and teasing “You know, in nearly 2 years that might be the first time you’ve said that” he teased.

Emilie merely chewed on her lip, something which made Sergio smile as he took a step towards her. “Emmy, you know that you don’t have to pull out the stops for me. I’d have been more than happy with a light dinner and a movie” he noted, his fingers carefully tilting her head back so that she looked up at him.

“I know” Emilie murmured “But I wanted to tonight. The twins are with my parents and I wanted…I want to talk about us” she spluttered.

Sergio’s expression tightened in an instant. He knew that whenever she started those conversations, it only ended one way and it was the last thing he wanted. “Emmy” he warned gently.

“Hear me out” Emilie noted.

“No” Sergio countered “I am not going to listen to you put yourself down again, Em” he added.

“Sergio…”

“Emilie, I don’t want to lose you again” he interrupted.

Emilie shook her head softly. “You’re not going to lose me” she murmured.

Sergio’s expression softened. “What?” he spluttered.

Emilie shifted a little on her spot. “I said, you’re not going to lose me, Sese” she repeated gently “I’ve been doing some thinking, Isla got me thinking the other day after we got back, and I’ve reached the decision that I don’t want anything to change. I love what we’re doing, at times, it seems effortless and, even though I try my hardest to wreck it, it’s what I’ve always wanted” she explained thoughtfully. It had taken her a little while, but after Isla’s sharp words, she knew what she had to do. No matter how much it scared her, she knew that she couldn’t let him go without regretting it.

“What are you saying, Em?” Sergio posed, a slight smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

Emilie took a little breath before she flicked her eyes up, meeting his dark ones which stared right back at her. “I’m saying I’m done messing you around, Sergio” she murmured gently “I’ve done nothing but screw up since we met and I…I am tired of it. When things are good, they’re amazing and I want it to be that way for a while. I’m not saying I am ready for marriage, Sese, not yet, but I think that I could be in the future and when I think about it…I think about it being me and you” she admitted gently.

Sergio listened to her words carefully, mulling them over for a second.

“I’m here if you want me to be, Sese and if you’ve changed your mind then it is OK. I’d understand” Emilie added nervously.

Sergio let out a small laugh. “You think I’ve changed my mind?” he posed.

Emilie shrugged. “I don’t know, but if you have, I’d be Ok” she babbled.

Sergio chuckled and stepped a little closer to her, kissing the tip of her nose. “Emilie, it’s been two years, do you think I could change my mind in a few days?” he teased, carefully pushing the ginger hair out of her face.

“If I were you, I would have” Emilie muttered.

“Emilie Smith, I love you” he insisted with a grin “And that’s not ever going to change, no matter how impatient or frustrated I get with you, it’s never changed the way I feel about you. To me, you’re still the girl who helped me into her home after Pilar broke my heart and I’m always going to adore you for it. I want you, Em, I want this, and I just need the word that it is what you want too” he explained, kissing her nose gently again.

Emilie’s cheeks warmed a little at the contact before she carefully placed her arms around his neck, holding him close to her. “I’m here for as long as you want me to be, Sese” she murmured gently.

Sergio smiled at her words before he leant in, pressing a light kiss against her lips. “That’s all I’ve wanted to hear from you, Em” he murmured affectionately.

Emilie smiled timidly, something which made his smile widen a little. He knew that it was still going to take work, if the past 2 years with Emilie had taught him anything, it was that she didn’t tend to make things easy, but he felt assured. He liked the idea that she saw what he saw.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234, FootieJo and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)