‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

39: Give Us Time

“How are we going to tell your parents?” Emilie murmured as she rested her head on Sergio’s shoulder, her blue eyes fixed on the engagement ring which sat comfortably on her hand. It had been a surprise, even if she had been dropping hints about wanting to get married, a little part of her had expected Sergio to be a little more hesitant, but she couldn’t help but smile. After more than a couple of hectic months, things seemed to be settled for them and she doubted she could have been happier. Things, for the first time in a while, looked good and it left Emilie more than certain that she had done the right thing by returning when she had found out about the twins.

“We’ve been engaged for half an hour. I think we can put it off for a little while” Sergio replied, his hand carefully rubbing Emilie’s side.

“I know” Emilie retorted “I was just thinking. As soon as Isla gets a look at this, she’s going to go nuts and I don’t want either of our parents feeling as though we tried to keep them out of the loop. I know my padre would never forgive me if he wasn’t the first to know” she explained. She knew that they had time, after Sergio’s proposal, they’d done very little but sit around and bask in the feeling of being newly engaged, but she wanted to start thinking ahead. Eventually, they were going to have to tell their relatives that they were engaged and she didn’t want to hang around. A little part of her wanted to let everyone know that she and Sergio were taking the next step.

“He does love me” Sergio grinned, kissing the side of her head gently.

“He does, and he’s going to love the idea that you’re going to be his son-in-law” Emilie noted.

Sergio nodded his head a little before he squeezed her slightly, enjoying the feeling of holding her close. “We don’t have to tell anyone right away, Emmy” he murmured gently. He could tell that she was excited, after she’d said yes, she’d barely pulled away from him for a moment, but he wanted to rein her in slightly. it was a good thing, their engagement was a wonderful step forwards for them, but he didn’t want to make a big deal. It’d caused them problems before, their first engagement had been the beginning of the end for them and he didn’t want it to happen again. He simply wanted to take a little time for them to get used to the change before they told anyone else.

Emilie frowned a little. “You don’t want to tell people we’re getting married?” she posed.

“It’s not that I don’t want to tell people, Em, I’d love nothing more than to scream it from the rooftops, but we both know what happened last time” he reasoned gently.

“It was a mistake, Sese” Emilie protested gently.

“I know it was, Emmy, and I know it’s not likely to happen again, but I’d like to keep this to ourselves for a little. I just want to make sure that it is what we both want before we start getting other people involved” he explained as gently as he could. He knew that it was a sore point, after getting back together and having the twins, their breakup a little over a year previous had barely been discussed, but he just wanted to be sure. He loved Emilie, he loved what they had, and he didn’t want to lose it again. He hated the idea that anything could ruin what he had with Emilie and the twins.

Emilie shook her head. “Last time…last time was idiotic, Sese” she murmured “I let things get on top of me, and you were just off the back of the final, and we let things get the better of us, but we’re not the same now, I’m not the same now” she added.

“I know” Sergio protested “And I am not suggesting anything to the contrary, I just think…”

“You’re scared of me freaking out again?” Emilie interjected, her blue eyes peeking over at him.

Sergio noted the tone of her voice and sighed, closing his eyes for a second before he reached out, taking her smaller hands in his. “You know I love you” he murmured, his thumb carefully brushing the back of her hand.

“Cut to the chase, Sese” Emilie mumbled softly.

“You’re not the most confident girl” Sergio explained gently “And whilst I love you exactly the way you are, the last thing I want to do is put pressure on to this, onto us. I love where we are, Em, I love the twins and the idea that we are engaged, but I just think we should be a little more careful this time. I don’t think you’re going to freak out, I know you’re not the same girl I met 2 years ago and that you’re so much more confident in us, but I want to be careful and I think that taking some time to get used to the idea of being engaged could be good for us” he added as tentatively as he could. He didn’t want to upset her, they were supposed to be celebrating one of the most important steps in their relationship, but he knew he couldn’t lie to her. He was worried and she deserved to know it.

Emilie, who’d shifted slightly away from her fiancé, sighed, her blue eyes peeking down at the engagement ring which sat on her hand.

“I just want to make sure, Emmy” he assured her gently “I thought we were in a good place last time and in the blink of an eye…”

“We can wait” Emilie interjected softly.

“You’re sure?” Sergio mused as he leant a little closer to her, pulling her into a warm embrace.

Emilie nodded. “You’ve got a point. Getting engaged last time did seem to be the beginning of the end, and I don’t want it to be the same this time. I like what we’ve got, Sese, and I don’t want to lose it” she insisted softly. She was slight reluctant, part of her wanted to share the news of their engagement with everyone, but knew that he had a point. They’d fallen apart once before and she didn’t want to do it again, especially not when they had the twins to think about.

Sergio spared her an affectionate smile before he carefully ducked in, pressing a light kiss against her lips. “I’m not letting us go again, Em” he assured her softly “I just think we ought to give ourselves time to get used to it” he added.

Emilie spared him a slightly unsure look before she nodded her head. “Alright” she agreed gently “I can keep it quiet for a little while, but if Isla guesses…”

“Then we will tell everyone” Sergio interjected with a warm grin.

Emilie admired the warm smile on his face and leant into him a little more, comfortable in his embrace. She knew that he had a good point, they’d fallen apart after getting engaged the first time, and she knew that they did need to be a little more careful. With Esmé and Ethan in the picture, they had a lot more to lose than their relationship.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Luuuc_19, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)