‹ Prequel: Would You Fall Too?

You Took My Heart by Surprise

04: Good Intentions

“Would you stop pacing?” Sergio grumbled as he looked up at Emilie, watching as she walked back and forth down the short corridor of her apartment. She’d been at it for a while, certainly since he had arrived, and he wanted her to stop. It was playing on his last nerve. He knew that she was nervous, she’d looked more than nervous when she’d opened the door to him that morning, but he knew it wasn’t going to do any good. Her fretting wasn’t going to change the fact that her parents were less than likely to love the idea that their daughter was having a child with a man she could barely sit in the same room as.

Emilie, who had been tracing the line between the living room and front door, sighed. “Sorry” she murmured.

Sergio shook his head. “Emmy” he noted as he moved a little closer to her, his hand gently resting on her arm.

Emilie shied away from his touch and sighed, sitting on the arm of the couch. “They’re not just going to nod and smile about this, Sergio” she murmured “They were pissed when I told them what happened, they’re going to be worse now” she added, her blue eyes peeking down at her feet. She knew what was coming, Charlie and Adelina were going to take the news badly, and she just wanted it over with. She just wanted them to yell and have done with it.

“Why not?” Sergio posed “I’m not the worse guy in the world” he added, trying to lighten the mood a little.

Emilie shook her head, something which made Sergio sigh. “Emmy” he murmured, reaching out for her hand “They might not be so bad” he added, squeezing her smaller hand gently.

Emilie looked down at their hands for a moment before she peeked up at his face, noting the kind expression he wore. It was a familiar one, she had grown rather accustomed to it whilst they’d been together, but she wasn’t about to let it get at her. Nothing had changed, they were still apart, and she didn’t want to even think of him that way. She knew the second she did, she would do something she’d regret and she’d be the one who ended up hurt all over again. “You’ve met my parents” she murmured.

“I have” Sergio agreed “And I don’t think they’re as bad as you’re making out. They’re not going to love this, but they might not hate it either. Charlie and Adelina always struck me as supportive of you, Em” he added softly, his lips quirking the slightest of smiles.

Emilie studied him for a moment before she sighed. “You know that you didn’t have to be here, right?” she posed. It had been sudden, Sergio’s arrival that morning had caught her off guard, but as much as she didn’t want to admit it, she was glad that he was there. Telling her parents was bound to be a less than pleasant task and she was a little glad that he had showed up when he had.

“I know” Sergio commented as he rested back into his seat “But I want to be. This is on both of us, Emmy, and I want to make it clear from the outset that I am not going anywhere” he insisted gently. He hadn’t told anyone, he’d spent the few days that had past trying to get his own head around it properly, but he knew where he wanted to be when Emilie told her parents and it was at her side. Their baby was as much his as hers and he didn’t want anyone thinking that he was going shirk his responsibility.

Emilie offered him another look before the sound of the doorbell caught her attention, causing her skin to pale a little.

“It’s going to be fine” Sergio noted.

Emilie offered him a slight glare before she padded towards the door of her apartment, pulling it open to her mother and father. “Mama, papa” she greeted.

“Emmy” Charlie grinned as he stepped towards her “You look amazing” he fussed.

“Gracias” Emilie noted as she pulled away, a slight blush on her cheeks.

“So, to what do we owe the sudden invitation, Emmy?” Adelina posed as she hung up her jacket.

Emilie shifted a little. “I need to talk to you about something” she noted as she led them through to the living room.

Charlie opened his mouth, preparing to ask what she needed to say in person rather than over the phone, but the words were taken off of the tip of his tongue, his blue eyes landing on the man who sat in the armchair. “Sergio” he noted.

“It’s nice to see you again, Charlie” Sergio noted politely.

Charlie spared the footballer another glance before he turned back to Emilie, his blue eyes narrowing slightly on his daughter. “Something you wanted to talk about?” he posed.

Emilie shifted slightly.

“Emilie” Charlie encouraged “Sweetheart” he added.

Emilie moved her feet a little more, something which made Sergio shake his head. He knew that look and knew it meant that he needed to take the initiative. “What Emilie wants to tell the pair of you is that, a few days ago…”

“I went to see my doctor” Emile interrupted, her eyes glancing at the defender.

“Your doctor?” Adelina posed “Sweetheart, is there something wrong?” she added.

“No” Emilie noted “I…I just” she spluttered, her blue eyes darting over towards Sergio who offered her a little nod, trying to encourage her.

“Emilie” Charlie encouraged.

Emilie swallowed a little. “I’m pregnant” she murmured, causing the room to fall quiet.

Sergio, who had pushed himself to his feet, padded towards her, attempting to put an arm around her that she shrugged off.

“You’re pregnant?” Charlie murmured.

Emilie nodded her head slightly. “11 weeks” she murmured softly.

“And it is yours?” the older man posed, his eyes looking towards Sergio.

“Papa” Emilie warned.

Charlie raised a hand in apology. “Lo siento” he murmured “I just can’t quite believe that you two are going to be parents” he noted.

“It was a shock for me too” Sergio commented “But I assure you…”

“I know” Charlie interjected, offering the other man a small smile “I don’t doubt your intentions for a second” he added.

Sergio smiled back at him.

“What about the pair of you?” Adelina posed. It was no secret that she and Charlie adored Sergio and would have done a lot to ensure that their little girl ended up with the man who seemed to adore her.

“Mama” Emilie warned.

Sergio sighed. “I am in another relationship” he admitted softly.

“Oh” Adelina sighed “I didn’t know” she added.

Sergio looked at Emilie, who had turned away at the mention of his girlfriend, and sighed. “I am going to look after your grandchild” he noted softly “Nothing’s going to change that” he added.

Adelina nodded softly and offered him a smile, not missing the way that Emilie had flinched.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo, Luuuc_19 and Jayme112234 for the comments :)