One Night to Hear Your Heart

It Sorta Happened

It's 3 and a half weeks now almost a month. Ed wanders around as he pleases now, and has finished the music for a song already.

Most days he had been his happy self. Although through the last couple of days he has been quiet. I've found it best to leave him alone for a while and then send him a pick me up or take him to an activity on the grounds.

Today was one of those days. I had talked him into going to the rec room. Our laughter filled the halls as I was losing miserably at foosball.

"I used to ruled this game!" I gasped pouting a bit. Ed laughed quietly and shook his head. He looked up at me with eyes crinkling from his smile.

My heart beat felt funny in my chest as he did so and then I missed protecting my goal. Ed laughed out loud and went to speak, when his phone went off.

He took it out and pointed at me playfully "no fooling with the scoreboard" he said before heading out the door.

I sighed and noticed the strange beating of my heart had stopped. I frowned a bit, this feeling wasn't good at all.

"Leave - alone! I - again -You-This time!"

I jumped at the broken shouting. "Ed?" I muttered heading for the door, peeking out he wasn't in the hall anymore. I headed down the hall "Ed?" I called checking the rooms.

Stopping in the parlor I found him sitting on the sofa. His back to me. I silently went to him standing near the arm rest.  He glared at his cellphone, squeezing it his hand trembling. Then with a tiny soft sigh his grip loosened and a greatly saddened look washed away the glare.

"E-ed? Are you alright?" I asked timidly. He didn't answer me, just looked at the phone. I tipped closer "Are you alright?" I asked again, feeling rather silly it was obvious something was wrong. But still.

I now stood in front of him.

Rather than answer me he looked up at me. "Oh" I breathed. He looked so lost and I wasn't sure what to do.

"Would you like a moment alone? Some privacy? I can just-" my words stopped as his hand reached out and grabbed my arm just above the wrist.

My heart beat went of course again. "Please stay, you don't have to say anything just sit with me" he said in a monotone. I didn't like it his voice usually was full of character, this was just empty.

I knew the tone in his voice.

Sitting down next to him, I took his hand holding the phone and removed the phone from  his palm. He watched me as I flipped over his hand palm up and rubbed the muscle he had strained while squeezing the life out of his phone.

He watched me in silence, as I focused on his hands and arm. Deep in thought I remember the dull tone and lost eyes, it's how you look when you know you are giving up on something you've hoped for for years. And my heart ached for him. But I wouldn't pry.

"Andy" he said barely above a whisper I stopped and looked at him. "You still have gin?" He asked in the same way. I nodded "whisky, scotch, vodka and rum" I said I let go of his hand and laid it in his lap before going to retrieve a bottle.

When I returned with the bottle and glass, I set it down on the coffee table and sat back at Ex's side. He reached and downed 3 large shots quickly. I frowned a bit.

"Hey, Andy.." He muttered I turned to him "do me a favour?" He asked. "Sure" I said. With that he leaned over resting his head on my shoulder, he snuggled close. My body stiffened, my cheeks burned and it was hard to breathe.

But Ed wasn't faded as he leaned forward a bit poured another with one hand and downed that to.

I frowned again, I had to get him to stop that. "You can do this" I told myself. Calming down I snuck a arm around his back resting that hand on his head and holding his hand with my other arm.

His body tensed and relaxed as he cuddled closer and set down the glass. "I can do this through the rest of the evening" I said in a serious tone "But you can't keep that up" I added. He didn't say anything but grabbed my hand back and fiddled with my fingertips.

My heart was racing, being so close. I fought back a blush as I prayed he couldn't feel it.