One Night to Hear Your Heart

Kitted Comfort

Ed had fallen asleep on me but work still had to be done. I managed to lay him down on the sofa sliding a throw pillow under his head.

Doing so my hand brushed through his hair. I felt my cheeks warm up and I sucked in my lips nervously. "Come on Andy stop being so weird" I thought.

I took and deep breath and composed myself. But I found I could not look away from him. All the sound around was his light breathy sigh like snores and the sharp crackle of the fireplace.

His cheeks were red with alcohol but it made him look like a cute Christmas elf. I giggled silently and reached out to brush his hair. But I stopped myself just as my fingertips grazed the tips of his Autumn colored hair.

"What are you doing!" My mind screamed. I drew my hand away and instead reached for a knitted blanket to cover him with.

I draped it over him and fled out of the room. Unaware his eyes had opened and watched me go.

Hours passed, it was now around 6:45pm. I was in the kitchen just finished with preparing dinner. All I had to do now was cut team roast slices.

As I did so, I could not shake the image of Ex's sleeping face from my mind. I want to smile but the bothersome thought of fangirling over a guest was horrifying. What kind of way is that to behave as a host!

I sighed heavily and tried to reclaim my thoughts when...

"Hey smells good"

Eds unexpected voice gave me a mild fright and my body jumped "ssssh ow!" I yelped as I grazed my finger with the knife.

I moved quickly away from the food, in case the cut was bad. However luckily it was short and small. But a tiny round pearl of blood dangled from it.

"I m sorry I didn't mean to scare you" Said Ed rushing over to me. "Did you cut yourself, is it bad?" He asked, I turned to face him and smiled holding up my finger.

"Yes, but it's only a itty bitty cut" I said. He sighed in relief and then smiled "well that's good" he said watching as I reached in a drawer to fetch a hidden stash of bandaids.

"It's always wise to stash some in the kitchen" I said before picking up the roasting pan. "Dinners done I just need to set the table." I said. Ed glanced past me and spotted the plates and the side dish. He smiled and went to them.

"I can give you a hand with that" he said. I opened my mouth to protest but he simply walked by me stating "the faster we set up the faster we can eat and I'm starving!" I laughed following after him.

Dinner was quiet in a very awkward way. I tried not to look at him too much in fear I would just flat out stare. While he would stare at me off and on as if having something to say.

Finally through the little clings of our silverware he cleared his throat softly, it almost seemed fake. "Ah....well," Ed chuckled nervously, grabbing my attention.

"Heh, I just wanted to say thank you for, you know" he said looking away awkwardly. I blushed a bit, hoping he was talking about before he fell asleep and not after.

"Ah um it's fine think nothing of it!" I said. He paused looking at me in silence before slowly smiling at me.

"You do know what this means now?" He asked playfully. I paled with nervousness. And he laughed "I'm not just a paying customer anymore," I tilted my head "You are officially my friend now Andy" I smiled at him as he said this. And then laughed at myself for worrying.