One Night to Hear Your Heart

Drunken Secrets

Ever since that night formalities have been out the window. Ed had gotten as far was three songs completed. He was telling me about how his agent and label loved them so far.

We were celebrating in a way he called into town and ordered from the local pizza parlor. We went down to pick it up.

"Y-you ordered 3 large....oh no..." I said bursting into laughter. "What's wrong?" Ed asked, I giggled and pointed at the counter. "You'll see" I said.

As the employee came carrying boxes twice the size of a pizzahut boxes my phone rang. I giggled at Eds surprised yet thrilled face before answering.

"Hello?" I said.

It was my mother, and her words on the other in shattered me.

I glanced at Ed who was talking to the girl employee behind the counter who was apparently a fan, Before heading for the exit.

"Wait, calm down mom, Wen-Wendy has what?" I stammered exiting.

"Type 4 What!" I screamed voice cracking. Just as I did so Ed came out the pizza parlor. "Ok, ok, keep me updated bye" I hung up quickly my eyes darting around as I tried to compose myself.

"Is everything ok?" Ed asked. My mind was screaming no. But I smiled "Y-yeah, come on let's head back to celebrate the three songs" I said leading him to the car. The whole ride back Ed was watching me I could feel it.

"Stage 4 brain canc-..." My thoughts wandered as we pulled up to Lala'Belle.

We ate, drank and were merry or as merry as I could be. However Ed could tell I wasn't feeling right.

He briefly had a serious face before sitting down on the floor close to the fireplace in the lobby. "Come on let's play a drinking game" he said. I waved my hands

"No no I'm sure I've had to much already" I said with a slightly forced smile. Ed smiled "light weight" he said teasingly. His playfulness made me smile truly and then our phones chimed at the same time.

I grabbed mine and walked out the front door before answering giving him privacy for his call as well.

"What's the news mom?" I asked. Her voice trembled on the other end. "They've taken your sister into the hospital, she has to stay there" she said, I bit my lip "the doctors are going to try their best, but they've warned us not to get to hopeful at this stage" mom said. I breathed out a fry fearless son trying to stay put together.

"What about Milly? How's Molly?" I asked. Mom paused, causing me to space nervously in the cold night air "Emily is doing her best, I dot think she fully understands yet" she said.

"Wendy, she-" mom stopped me "hasn't got a hold on it either after all she thought she just had the flew" mom had started crying.

Mom and I never were super close our whole family was odd in a way. But I hated to hear her cry. "It's going to be ok mom get some rest "I said soothingly. She sniffled "right but before you go, it's January...The dat-" I didn't want to hear it "Y-yeah I know what you mean....goodnight, mom" I said hanging up.

I stuffed my hand in my mouth and screamed, drowning it out. Calming myself down as best I could I walked back inside.

My eyes landed on ed who was still on the floor but his expression looked blank.

"Are you alright?" He asked, I felt that should have been my line due to the annoyed look in his eyes. I shrugged "I don't know I- I don't think so" my voice was pitchy as I fought back tears. "Me neither, wanna play the game now?" He asked pouring shot glasses. I nodded and sat down.

The game was I never, and by now I was mildly tipsy. Face red with alcohol and cheeks stained with tears I was to inebriated to hold in completely.

"Let's see....I've never....I've never been kissed" I said. Ed laughed "Come off it! You don't have to lie, if you are out of never we can stop" he said chuckling.

I blushed a bit and puffed up my cheeks Mildred angry "thats not nice, I am not kidding ! " I said ed breathed out and blinked at me several times shocked "Oh" he said looking to the side he narrowed his eyes bitterly "at least some girls are still honest" he whispered, I just barely heard it and doubt I was meant to.

Even with the game and a few laughs my heart still hurt for my poor sister. And at that moment more tears slipped.

"Andy?" Ed asked crawling closer. He touched my wet cheek. "Fresh tears, what's wrong?" He asked. I shook my head "Hey Ed we're friends now right?" I asked he nodded "then I can ask you for a non-professional favor?" My voice was void as I looked up at him with pleading eyes "Yes, what is it?" He asked. I needed the panic and shock to go away and fast. I couldn't take it, I was never strong and this was a third heartbreak to many.

I sat my glass in front of him, momentarily gazed at the troupe of bottles surrounding us and looked him dead in the eye. "I know you know how, please waste me, I need to forget just for tonight" I said.

He looked at me with a serious struggled gaze and a frown. Searching my eyes. As carefree as I'd like to be for the moment that was gone now.

"Alright" he said hesitantly as he mixed two of the bottles together "But only because I need it to, you won't be drunken alone" he said, I nodded and he served me my first shot.

I gulped it and coughed harshly. "It's strong, sorry" he said drinking his shot smoothly. I shook my head and with a rasp said "n-no it's good, go e me another".

It was 4pm when we started and now it was nearly 9pm. Sorrow still present but numbed I sat Indian style in front of Ed giggling drunkenly. He had just don't off another shot and looked at me.

His smile faded "whaa-whaat?" I slurred through giggled. "Why haven't you been kissed?" He asked I blinked if his eyes weren't so dizzy looking I would have sworn he was sober.

"I made a promise to some one years ago." My voice faded into a soft whisper "But he left never claiming it, I haven't talked to him for years, he vanished. But I can't let go of this promise. I love him to much for that, so I wait" as I said this I looked at my hands tears forming back.

"I'd never even seen his face before, probably a catfish...still" Ed watched me "he was, is damn lucky, what ass find a girl who stays and...." His anger told me he was very much drunk to.

In a softer voice he said "I wish I could be so lucky" I looked up at him "huh?" I asked as he clumsily touched my cheek. "Forgive me for sabotaging this promise, but if he will take for granted something, so rare, he deserves it" and with those words his face rushed at mine and stole my gasping mouth.

But my mind went blank, nothing was in it just, the feeling of his hot breathed and the taste of alcohol. It's what I had wanted, what the booze alone wasn't doing.

I swayed a bit off balance and supported my self with my hands in front of my on the ground leaning into the kiss. We fought off our troubles that night through a wasted kiss.