Free Bird

prologue

Taking a long drag from her cigarette, Holly leaned against the outside of the garage office and breathed out. Looking across the lot, she watched as two of her best friends - Jackson 'Jax' Teller, her on/off boyfriend and Harry 'Opie' Winston, who was married to another one of her best friends - stared at Jax's new bike in awe. It's black exterior gleamed in the sunlight, making it look much more appealing.

But there was no fooling Holly. Jax knew as soon as he stepped foot into that lot, he'd be in for an interrogation. Not many twenty year olds around town had money to splurge on bikes, especially those who had only just become a full member of the club. Jax hadn't been on any paying jobs, and neither had Holly or Opie. Sure, they all had their jobs working in the garage, but it would take a lot more than towing a few cars and tightening some bolts to earn you a bike.

"Nice bike" Holly nodded towards the object of attention, as she made her way over.

Opie looked up to see the unimpressed look on Holly's face, before excusing himself and leaving the couple alone. He had been around their fights before, and they were far from pretty. There was no way in hell he was getting stuck between them again...

"Yeah... Kinda why I got it" Jax answered with a sarcastic tone, giving the brunette a cheeky grin to let her know he was only joking. This was the first time she had spoken to him in three days, so he didn't want to take any chances.

"Yeah, about that... How did you get it? Did you steal it? Hold up a bank?" Holly questioned, taking another drag from her cigarette "Oh, I know! You used the money you told me you didn't have?" she added, with an irritated sigh as she glared at the male.

She wasn't lying... She had asked him to go and pay the electricity bill, but what did he say in response? He told her he didn't have the money. So Holly had to call her parents and ask for some, just a week after she last spoke to them and insisted that she and Jax were doing great living on their own.

"One of those is correct" Jax answered vaguely, with a simple shrug. Meeting Holly's questioning gaze, he threw his arms up in defense "Hey, I didn't ask you how you bought those shoes" he glanced down at her cowboy boots.

"Fine. Be like that" Holly shrugged, dropping her cigarette to the ground and stamping it out with her boot "Hope that lounge is comfortable" she added, spinning around and walking back to the garage. If she didn't get back to work, Gemma would kill her. The amount of paperwork piled up was ridiculous.

Taking her seat behind the desk, Holly re-commenced her work. It wasn't long before a customer appeared at the door, meaning she would have to pause what she was doing and add even more work. If the others didn't come back from their trip soon, she'd have to hire strangers off the street to help out - that's how desperate they were.

"How may I help you?" Holly questioned, as she put on a cheery tone. This was because apparently she used to 'scare customers away' with the way she usually spoke. Which Holly found to be complete and utter bullshit.

After finding out the customers name, and going through the usual process, Holly guided the male out to his car and handed the keys over. Leaving before he could start up another conversation, she made it back into the office before the phone rang out.

"Teller Morrow Automotive, Holly speaking. How may I help you?" the female questioned, as she placed the phone between her shoulder and her head. Sitting down, she decided to kill two birds with one stone and fill in some paperwork.

"It's only me, sweetie. You gave me such a fright! I've been calling the land-line for an hour now, and you wouldn't pick up" Holly's mother began to ramble, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Yeah, well I do have a job" Holly let out a sigh "Listen, is this important? Because I'm swimming in paperwork here" she questioned, waiting for an answer.

"Oh, well I was just ringing to see if you have changed your mind? You know, it isn't so bad out here in Texas... Since you and Jackson are having problems..." Mrs Morelli continued, before Holly hung up on her.

She didn't need this right now.



Opening the door between the garage and the office, Holly finished yelling at one of the prospects as she noticed Gemma standing in the office. Holly's eyes widened slightly, before she shut the door.

"Gemma... thank God you're here" Holly let out a long, exhausted, sigh as the older female raised her eyebrow. She wasn't meant to be back this early, even though Holly was glad the work was back to being Gemma's responsibility.

"Don't thank him, thank Jax. He rang me up and said you've been... Irritable. Thought I'd come back and take the reins again" Gemma shrugged, watching as Holly walked from one side of the office to the other will her arms full of papers and folders.

"I can handle this" Holly promised, using her arms to gesture the office as she said 'this.' Taking the lollipop out of her mouth, Holly threw the stick into the bin "My mum's been hassling me about moving to Texas with her and Dad. I thought after two years she'd give up, but it's the opposite. Can't catch a fucking break" Holly groaned, as Gemma placed her hands on her hips.

"So you aren't taking them up on their offer anytime soon?" Gemma questioned, as Holly glared at her.

"Are you kidding me? The only way you'll get me out of this club and town is in a prison van or a body bag" the female answered, as if the answer were obvious.

Excusing herself as Gemma answered a call, Holly headed into the garage and started work on one of the cars. Sliding underneath it, Holly started to work away. After a half hour, she noticed someone standing by the hood of the car.

Sliding back out, she stood up to see a tall, bald and burly looking male.

"Thought I told you not to contact me at work" Holly tried to remain calm, as the male looked down at her.

"Thought I told you not to avoid paying me my money" the male mimicked Holly, raising an eyebrow as he waited for a response.

"Listen, asshole, I told you I'd pay double next week" Holly reminded, jabbing the males chest to emphasise 'you.'

"See, that ain't good enough. You either give me the money now or I'm taking that house and car away from you and your shithead boyfriend" he warned, as Holly's grip tightened on the spanner in her hand.



Tightening the bandanna on her head, Holly studied her appearance and frowned. How was she meant to explain this one?

Shutting the locker door, Holly had traded her blue jumpsuit covered in oil and grease for her cut, some denim shorts, a SAMCRO t-shirt - and of course, her cowboy boots.

"Mother of Christ, what happened to you?" Chibs questioned, once his eyes landed on the girl. He wondered if she and Jax had gotten into another fight, but then he knew Jax would never hurt Holly. Physically speaking.

"May or may not have gotten into a fight..." Holly shrugged innocently, as her fingers brushed over her grazed chin.

"You've got balls, kiddo" Chibs laughed, shaking his head as he studied her busted lip and elbows that were also grazed.

"Thanks. Took them from the guy who did this" Holly grinned, as she pointed to her lip "He was being an asshole to his girlfriend, so I stepped in and told him to stop. And well, you can picture the rest" Holly waved her hand, turning her head as she heard footsteps.

"I'll leave you two to talk" Chibs gave Jax a brief nod, before giving Holly a wave. Leaving the garage, Chibs headed into the clubhouse.

Once he realised the damage done to Holly's appearance, Jax frowned as he gently tilted her chin to the side to further inspect.

"You gonna give me a name?" Jax questioned, although it was more of a demand.

"I've already sorted it out, don't worry" Holly let out a sigh, backing away from Jax. Unfortunately, she had no such luck doing so. Grabbing her arm gently, Jax pulled her closer towards him.

"I don't care if you sorted it out! You're my girlfriend, and someone has done this to you. I want to get my revenge" Jax explained, with a stern tone.

"Fine. It was that guy who's been trying to take the car, and the house... We're in deep shit, Jax. I told Chibs I got into a fight with some guy who was being a dick to his girlfriend - I don't want people feeling sorry for us and tiptoe around everything. This is our problem, so we will sort it out" Holly paused, as she took a deep breath in "I got something lined up within the next few days, after that, I'll get my money and pay off as much as I can" she promised, however Jax wasn't going to wait that long.



Wincing as she pulled her t-shirt over her head, Holly looked at her reflection in the mirror. With a tattoo on one side, and bruises on the other, her mothers words came to mind. Shaking the thoughts away, Holly continued to undress before getting into the shower.

After ten minutes, Holly finally dragged herself out from under the hot water and started to get dry. The day had finally come, she was going on her first actual job. Unofficially, that is, but Opie felt like he wasn't ready yet. But he wasn't going to admit that anytime soon.

Cigarette between her lips, Holly shuffled into the bedroom as she looked through her draws for some suitable clothes. Dropping her towel, she stepped into her black jeans and started to jump as she pulled them up.

"Now that's a sight I wouldn't get sick of..." Jax joked, as he walked over to the female. Right now, they were back on good terms. Wrapping his arms around her small waist as he stood behind her, Jax placed a kiss on her slightly bare shoulder.

"Jax, I need to get ready" Holly reminded him, as she rolled her eyes and tried to wriggle out of his grip. This didn't deter him, of course.

"Ready for what?" Jax questioned, as he spun the female around and continued to kiss her - this time on the lips.

"Something" Holly mumbled against Jax's lips as she briefly kissed him back, pulling away seconds later to retrieve a black t-shirt out of her drawer.

"What's going on?" Jax took a step back from her, both confused and concerned. They always told each other what they were doing, well, ninety-percent of the time anyway.

"Nothing you need to worry about" Holly reassured the male, as she pulled the shirt on. Sliding her arms into her black hoodie, she zipped it up and sighed as she studied his expression "I've got shit to do, that's all. I'll only be an hour or two..." Holly promised, slinging a duffle bag over her shoulder.

Heading out of the door, she quickly retraced her steps and gave Jax a goodbye kiss to shut him up. Pulling away, she jogged outside and got into her bike - BMX, that is, not her motorcycle. She needed to make it look like she was home - and headed over to Opie's.



The annoyance in Donna's voice let Holly know she didn't approve of Opie leaving her this time of night, to sort out 'club shit.'

Turning her attention away from Opie, Donna's eyes landed on Holly.

"You keep him out of trouble, okay?" the brunette made Holly promise.

"Of course, Don" she nodded, the amusement from Donna and Opie's fighting disappearing.

"Ready to go now?" Opie interrupted the two females, as he zipped his hoodie up. Nodding, Holly pushed her chair out and stood up. Placing it back under the table, Holly said goodbye before going out to Kyle - one of the slightly older, fully patched members - who was waiting out in the truck.

She knew this could turn out badly, but it was too late for Holly to bail out now.

"Get excited, kids" Kyle joked, as the other two exchanged glances.

"Get a move on, old man" Holly laughed, as the truck reversed down the driveway and headed towards the location of the job.

* 2008 *

"Jax?" Gemma asked, as she rubbed her eyes. It was late at night, or early morning, and she couldn't see a thing.

"Is uh, is Wendy there?" Jax questioned, knowing there was only about a 5% chance of her being there.

"No. Why?" Gemma asked quietly, not wanting to wake Clay.

"She never came home, that's all. I'm worried about the baby" the male explained.

"She probably crashed at a friends..." Gemma suggested, as she yawned "Listen baby, wait until the morning - or daylight, now - until you go out searching. Stay put in case she comes home..." Gemma added, before Jax sighed and hung up.

Dragging himself back to his bed, Jax collapsed onto the mattress and shut his eyes in attempt to catch some sleep.

The sound of the alarm soon woke Jax up, as he reached his hand over and hit the off button. Groaning as he sat up, he called out Wendy's name as he heard footsteps. However, there was no response.

"It's just me" Gemma grumbled, juggling grocery bags. Placing them on the kitchen bench, she looked up to see Jax.

He looked like shit. There were dark bags under his eyes, his face was pale, and his clothes were crumpled and creased.

It sent a chill down Gemma's spine to see him like this, and she couldn't help but frown.

"She's not back?" Gemma questioned, pulling her son in for a hug as he started to shake his head.

"I swear to God, if she went out to score..." Jax sighed, as he pulled away and switched the coffee peculator on.

"Oh, cut that shit out Jax" Gemma shook her head, as she placed the groceries away "She'll be back, I know it" Gemma promised, pulling her phone out of her bag as it started to ring.

Going into another room, Gemma answered the call.

"Gemma? It's me, Holly. I-I need a favour" the female on the other end let out a sigh, as Gemma paced back and forth.

"What do you need, baby?" Gemma questioned.

"I need to come back - to the club, to Charming, to my home" Holly pleaded, leaning her head against the wall beside her. She was currently in a phone-box, not exactly enjoying it.

"Shit... I- I'd have to ask Clay. Are you in trouble?" Gemma ran a hand through her hair, as she questioned the female.

"I can't explain..." Holly paused, looking over her shoulder "Fuck..." she groaned, dropping the phone from her hand as she left the phone-box and hid in the shrubs beside the footpath.

"Hello?!" Gemma questioned, eventually hanging up when she realised Holly was no longer there. Getting up, Gemma returned to the kitchen and grabbed her handbag.

"I gotta go... Uh, ring me if the junkie doesn't show up" Gemma placed a kiss on Jax's cheek, before heading out to her car.



a/n: hope you enjoyed this chapter!

UNEDITED