‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

But When I Call You

Ouzinkie, Alaska would never cease to amaze Winnie. Being so close to Kodiak held the risk of encountering the wild bear, but it also left for some beautiful sunsets along the ocean. The weather change brought for jackets and bonfires, heavy blankets and the occasional hot chocolate. Taking a deep breath through her nose she let the familiarity wash over her body.

“Ms. Mikaelson?” Turning to gaze over her shoulder she smiled at the girl standing on the back porch. “She’s here.” Tilda, the housemaid, had light brown hair and stunning green eyes. Her skin was tanned just like her mother’s.

Not bothering to answer she followed Tilda into the house. Warmth spilled on her skin and she sighed, the glass door sliding shut behind her. She could hear voices in the living room and mentally prepared for the onslaught she was going to get from a particular strawberry blonde.

The cabin was one of the largest in the state, one she didn’t know existed, and had the capacity to host up to 25 people if necessary. Nine bedrooms, six full bathrooms, three half baths, a library and indoor pool just some of the amenities it had to offer. The living room was furnished by a fireplace roaring with flames, a dark rug that covered the wooden flooring, and three separate couches. Standing in the middle of the couches was a very angry looking Keziah and a confused Patrick. Winnie offered the slightest of grins to them.

“You’ve got about five seconds to explain to me why we are here or so help me,” Keziah blurted. She pointed a shaking finger at her friend and Winnie nodded slowly.

“Follow me.” Not giving any of them a chance to respond she started down the hall. Their footsteps echoed off the walls and she could hear them whispering to each other. A set of large double doors sat closed with large bronze knobs. Winnie wrapped her fingers around the cool metal and pushed. The room was dark, Keziah linking her hand with Patrick’s for guidance. Winnie smiled to herself and clapped her hands together.

The lights flickered on and Keziah blinked a few times to adjust. Balloons floated in the air and confetti rained from the ceiling. About twenty or so people littered the room all with streamers and noise makers in their hands.

“Surprise!” Keziah’s hand flew to her mouth and tears brimmed her eyes. Patrick stood in awe as a banner expanded across one of the walls. “Happy Birthday!” Presents were piled on a table under a set of large windows. A different table along the East wall was decorated with an array of foods, a mini bar a few feet away with its’ own bartender waiting to take orders. Music started to play in the background as everyone rushed forward to greet the guest of honor. Keziah’s parents met her with open arms and she had to wipe the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand.

Winnie grabbed the remote to the stereo and lowered the volume to the music. She lifted a glass full of red wine to her lips and let the liquid calm her nerves. Clearing her throat she let out a whistle catching everyone’s attention. Keziah had just finished hugging Lindsey when the room fell silent.

“Thank you, everyone, for coming.” Taking a deep breath she continued. “I know a lot of us don’t know each other very well, but all of us know Keziah. She’s a spitfire, a free spirit, and the hardest working person I know. Her heart is so full of love and I think everyone here can agree that she has a knack for bringing people together.” Everyone nodded, a mutter of agreements following. “Keziah is the kind of person who can turn any bad situation into a good one. She always finds the good in people, even when they can’t find it in themselves.” Winnie could feel her throat tightening from the tears threatening to fall. “This weekend is to celebrate a woman who sacrifices her happiness for the happiness of others. She is the reason we are standing here today, the reason I am standing here today. To Keziah.”

A chorus of, ‘To Keziah,’ fluttered around the room and Winnie took a long drink from her glass. Taking a deep breath through her nose she managed to clear her vision enough to brace herself. Keziah threw herself at Winnie. They shared an embrace that was long overdue and everyone could feel the emotion rolling off of them. Patrick gently took the remote out of Winnie’s hand and pressed down on the volume.

“Let’s get this party started!”

An hour into the gathering Winnie found herself back on the porch. The sun had set, replaced by the stars glistening in the sky, and she leaned on the railing. She could see the lights from the dock burning and the occasional hoot from an owl in the trees. The snow wouldn’t fall for another month or two, the white substance covering the mountains in different areas.

The sliding door opened and closed, heavy footsteps indicating she was no longer alone. Jonathan rested his hands on the railing and let out a breath. He didn’t speak, the sound of the small waves washing on shore filling the night.

“Where’s Lucas?” Winnie almost snorted in response.

“Flying in tomorrow morning.”

“What you did tonight, what you said, I know it means a lot to Kez.” Winnie remained silent. “I know it’s not easy moving on with everything that has happened. We haven’t really made it the best transition for you.”

“I didn’t expect it to be easy,” she answered with a shrug. “And I didn’t just do this for Kez. I did it for all of us.” Standing to her full height she faced Jonathan. Even in the darkness she could find his gaze. “With me coming back, the wedding, everyone is so stressed out. Being around you guys is hard, especially with how I left things, but if there is anything that I’ve learned it’s that you can’t hold on to what’s not there.

“I want us to be friends, Jonathan. I know it won’t be the same, I know it’ll be strained, but somehow we have to make it work. You said it yourself, I’m not going anywhere. I’m tired of fighting with Lindsey, I’m tired of having that sick feeling in my stomach when I’m around you because I don’t know how to act. I want this to work however it needs to work. Can we do that?” She saw the flurry of emotions cross his face as she spoke.

“I think that would be good.” His voice was thin. “For everyone.”

“Good,” she sighed smiling. “You better get back before they realize you’re missing.”

“What about you?” He gestured with his thumb. “Kez will come hunting.”

“I’ve got a couple loose ends to tie up, and then I’ll be back. I have to defend my beer pong title.” Jonathan laughed.

“Poor Kaner won’t stand a chance.” He touched her arm and turned toward the door. Winnie waited until he was inside before running her hands through her hair. Her heart pounded in her chest and she squeezed her eyes shut.

She was going to need more wine.

Image

Keziah would never admit it out loud but Ouzinkie was growing on her. The group spent the entire day on Saturday exploring the small town, eating at the local bar, meeting the people Winnie had befriended during her time away. Lucas had jumped right into the activities as soon as the boat brought him in, Winnie practically radiated the moment he stepped foot on land.

She had bought a couple of things, a trinket or two to take back with her, but she missed the warmth of Chicago. She knew the second it got too humid she would whine about it and Patrick would roll his eyes. It was a nice place though, somewhere she wouldn’t mind visiting, even if it did tear her apart for two years.

Saying goodbye to her family early Sunday morning she found herself curled up in a chair on the back porch. Tilda had politely offered to make her a cup of coffee which she gladly accepted. The sun cast shadows along the water and her eyes followed the movements of the waves. The air was clean, the birds were singing, and she felt at ease for the first time in a while.

“Hey.” Glancing over her shoulder she spotted Winnie. They smiled at each other and Winnie stretched her arms above her head. “Beautiful isn’t it?”

“I think I’m starting to see the appeal,” Keziah mused. She took a small sip of the beverage and rested her head against the back of the chair. “Is there where you lived?”

“Gosh no,” Winnie blurted. She laughed more to herself. “I didn’t even know this place existed until three weeks ago.”

“What do you mean?” Keziah sat up in the chair and Winnie rolled her neck.

“It would be better if I showed you.” Winnie stared out at the water with a tight grin. “Wake up sleeping beauty. We’ll go for a walk.”

“What about Jon and Lindsuck?” Keziah scrunched up her nose extending her legs, the muscles protesting her movements.

“They can come if they want. I’m sure she’ll be thrilled to tag along,” Winnie drawled. Keziah held open the door for her.

“Maybe a bear will eat her.” Their laughter filled the kitchen.

“Eat who?” Lindsey sat the table with a fork dangling in her fingers. The girls looked at each other before shrugging.

“Nobody.”

“Whatever,” she muttered as they passed. Keziah disappeared behind the door across the hall from Winnie’s room. The brunette gently pushed open the door and smiled to herself seeing Lucas tangled in the blankets. His hair was sticking up in multiple places and his mouth was slightly ajar.

“It’s not polite to stare,” he grumbled into the pillow. The sun illuminated the tan skin on his back, the muscles moving as he rolled over.

“Maybe I should take a picture then,” Winnie replied. His grunt made her snort. “Get up. We’re going for a walk.”

“Yes ma’am.” She dug through her bag and found a long-sleeved shirt that was still clean. The tile in the bathroom was cold, her bare feet sticking, and she discarded the green t-shirt she had slept in. In the process of tugging the new shirt over her head she caught Lucas’ reflection gazing at her from the doorway.

“It’s not polite to stare,” she mocked in a deep voice. He looked down laughing and moved around her to the double sink.

“Maybe I’ll take a picture.” His high pitched attempt made his voice crack.

“I do not sound like that,” Winnie countered. She snatched her toothbrush off the marble surface and layered it with paste. He only nodded, mirroring her actions as he stuck his toothbrush in his mouth, and smirked at her. He was still shirtless and she did her best to avoid watching his torso twitch with his arm.

“So are you taking me on a romantic walk down a trail to get mauled by rabid animals?” He rinsed his mouth and Winnie gargled what was left in hers.

“Yes,” she said wiping her lips with a towel, “you’ve caught me. My grand master plan to murder you.”

“If you wanted to break up with me, all you had to do was say something,” he teased poking her in the side.

“Oh shut up,” she swatted at his hand. “Get dressed and meet us downstairs.”

“So demanding,” he taunted. Winnie made a face at him before snapping her fingers. Gatsby got up from the dog bed and trotted to her side. He licked her outstretched hand and she scratched behind his ears.

“You listen to me, don’t you?” She knelt down and puckered her lips, the dog eagerly licking her face. Rubbing the top of his head they walked into the hallway and down the steps. Gatsby’s tail started wagging the second Keziah came into view. She clapped her hands and he jumped up on her, his paws resting on her thighs, and she gave him a kiss on the nose.

“Get off my woman.” Patrick sat up on the couch. Gatsby dropped to all fours and tilted his head. “That’s all I get? A tilt? You ate my socks.” Gatsby barked. “After all those burgers I fed you.”

“Burgers?” Winnie raised a brow in his direction.

“Are Jonathan and Lindsey coming?” Keziah stepped between the two of them carefully.

“You gave my dog burgers?”

“And cookies and the occasional hot dog.” Patrick stuck his tongue out at her. “He’s still alive.”

“I’m going to make sure he eats all of your socks when we get back,” Winnie warned. Gatsby barked again. “That’s right.”

“Lindsey doesn’t want to come,” Jonathan came out from the kitchen rubbing the side of his face. “She doesn’t feel good.”

“The northern air isn’t for everyone,” Winnie replied with a shrug. “Are you coming?” Lucas descended the stairs in a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, Winnie’s eyes locking on to his with a smile. Jonathan caught the change in her expression and shook his head.

“You guys go ahead. I’m just going to start packing.” She nodded at him, the group exiting through the front door. He waited for the door to close before squeezing his eyes shut. Soft footsteps came from behind and he felt Lindsey's arms wrap around his middle.

"You wanna go upstairs and have a little go around?"

"I thought you didn't fucking feel good?" He wasn't sure where the sudden surge of anger flared from. He pushed her arms away and stomped to the stairs.

"I just wanted to spend some alone time with you!" She called after him.

"We spend enough time alone together," he said, his heart pounding.

He remembered the way Winnie used to look at him. The same way she looked at Lucas. And it scared him.

He just didn't know why.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well then.

A.