‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

To Go Over

“A package came for you.” Patrick called out to Keziah the second she walked into their apartment. Her footsteps echoed off the wooden floor and she tossed her keys into the small bowl she had used for the last four years. Mail littered the small counter top and she could see Patrick’s head resting on the top of the couch. “It’s on the bed.”

“Why did you put it in there?” She kicked off her heels and leaned over him, her hair creating a curtain of strawberry blonde in front of his face. He swatted at the strands making her laugh.

“Because it was a big box.” He pressed a quick kiss to her forehead. “Now move, your hair is tickling my nose.”

“Poor baby,” Keziah mocked. She pinched his cheek and he stuck his tongue out at her. Flipping her hair over her shoulder she spun around to head to their shared bedroom. Her old room now acted as an office for everything work related between the two of them. The bed was still there for the nights when Jonny needed a place to crash when he and Lindsey were fighting or when someone came to visit. The bookshelves were littered with portfolios and random picture frames that had eventually filled up the entire space.

The master bedroom had changed, drastically, in order for Keziah to really be able to move on. They had purchased a new bed frame, mattress, painted the walls, moved the furniture around, and even changed the carpeted floors to hardwood. The bathroom now housed a double sink with a white marble counter and a newly refinished tiled floor. She needed to be able to wake up and not instantly get heartbroken by the thought of her best friend no longer being in her life.

Tying her hair into a quick braid Keziah saw the large rectangular box resting on the bed. Quickly scanning the label, she frowned when she saw no return address. Pulling the box to the edge of the mattress she started opening it, finding a solid white box on the inside. A single card rested in the center and she snatched it up.

’Someone told me you were having trouble finding the right one. – Lucas’ Letting out a huff Keziah placed the card on the end table. It could be one of a hundred things inside the box. She had found talking to Lucas a relief, a weight off her shoulders, and continued to ignore the lectures Patrick gave her about the whole friendship she had created. Lucas was easy to talk to and never judged her for how she was feeling. He agreed with her anger and helped her accept the situation the best she could. He was more involved with the planning of the wedding than Patrick though that was something she would never fully admit to her fiancé. He was the male version of the person she had lost.

Lifting the lid on the white box she bit the inside of her cheek. White tissue paper covered the black plastic housing whatever piece of clothing he had gotten for her. Gently taking the garment bag from the box she was surprised to see it fall past her feet onto the floor. Carrying it over to the bathroom door she hung the bag from the top hook and let it unfold. She smoothed out the wrinkles and had to stand on her tip toes to grab the zipper.

All she could see was white. Intricate lace patterns started on the chest and wove down the see-thru sleeves. The heart-line held the same pattern that would stretch across her torso with the skirt fanning out slightly in heavier pieces. The front of the dress was thin, the thicker layers spreading around her hips and to the back, the same flower patterns masking the most intimate areas of her body. Tears instantly filled her eyes and she smeared her eye liner to keep them at bay.

It only took a whole three seconds for realization to hit her.

This was the dress. The one from her massive book of wedding planning she had started almost 7 years ago. The one circled in red fourteen times until you could barely make out the face of the model wearing it.

The one she had only shown to Winnifred Mikaelson.

“She’s here.” Keziah felt the hotness in her neck spreading to her cheeks. “She’s fucking back.”

“Babe?” Patrick’s voice filtered down the hallway and she quickly zipped the bag up. She took a deep breath through her nose and had just finished stuffing the dress into the closet when he appeared in the doorway. “Everything okay?”

“You tell me.” He took notice of the quick change in her tone.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said slowly. “What was in the box?”

“I’ll tell you exactly what was in the box,” she said slamming the closet door shut. “A dress.”

“A dress?” He didn’t move from his spot.

“Not just any dress, Patrick, the dress. The one I wanted since I was 17. The one that I had put in a book full of ideas for the wedding of my dreams. The very dress that only one person besides myself knows about in the entire world.” She rested her hands on her hips and saw the color drain from his face. “You already know, don’t you?”

“Know what?” His voice caught in his throat.

“That she’s here. Winnie is in Chicago.” Keziah did her best to keep her composure.

“Yes.” He didn’t try to hide it from her. “Her company is up for bid and she’s back for the meeting tomorrow.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” As much as she wanted to be angry at him, she was more hurt, her heart pounding in her chest.

“Because she’s not the same person that we knew.” He moved across the floor and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, her arms falling flat at her sides. “She’s not, Winnie. And she told me not to tell you.”

“Of course she did.” She squeezed her eyes shut to keep the tears from staining his shirt. “If she doesn’t want me to know that she’s here then why the hell would she get me the single most important thing for my wedding?”

“Maybe to show you that despite what happened, she still wants you to be happy?” Keziah scoffed into his chest. “You would have to ask her.”

“I’m afraid of what I would say,” she admitted quietly. Patrick pulled away from her enough to run his thumbs under her eyes to wipe the stray tears. He pressed his lips to her skin and felt her sigh into him.

“Just tell her whatever you feel. Be honest. Don’t sugar coat it. The last thing you need to do is let the idea of her being back crumble whatever you have built up. She’s not staying, Kezzie. She’s selling the company and leaving. She doesn’t want to come back here.”

“Where is she staying?”

Image

Winnie was sprawled out on the hotel bed with the blankets tangled around her legs. A bowl rested in her hands while she attempted to take another bite of her salad, Gatsby snoring softly on her right. The television was barely audible showing the Food Network stars competing for a chance to get their own series. Glancing down at her bowl of salad she scoffed to herself at the idea of being able to cook.

Swinging her legs over the side of the mattress she stood, her toes meshing with the carpeted flooring, and slowly walked to the garbage can. Dumping what was left of the bland meal she had just turned away from it when a soft knock came to the door. Nibbling on the inside of her cheek she stepped up to the peephole and squeezed her left eye shut. Her stomach dropped.

“I know you’re in there.” The strawberry blonde showcased her assertive side. “Just open the door Winnie.” Winnie rested her head against the door and let out a soft breath. Wrapping her fingers around the knob she pushed down, the lock releasing, and Keziah impatiently tapped her foot on the carpet. She had a white box in her hands.

“He told you.” Keziah didn’t respond as she placed the box on the small table in the center of the room. Gatsby’s head lifted from the mattress and instantly his tail started to move. She clapped her hands and he jumped to the floor, his tongue lapping at her face the second she scratched behind his ears. “What’s in the box?”

“I’m returning the dress,” Keziah said simply. Every ounce of her wanted to turn and scream at the stranger in the room.

“Why?” Winnie moved toward the girl.

“Because I don’t want your help with the wedding.” Keziah stood to her full height and turned to her former best friend. Patrick had been right, she wasn’t the same person.

“It’s the dress you’ve wanted since you were 17.”

“I’m fully aware of that,” she answered. “But I don’t want it now.”

“I don’t understand.”

“That makes two of us.”

The tension in the room was suffocating and Winnie pressed a hand to her chest to try to calm herself down. Keziah stared at her with piercing green eyes. Gatsby whined from the floor and Winnie opened her mouth to speak but stopped when the other girl started. “I don’t get it.” Keziah began to pace slowly. “Why after two years of zero communication you decide it would be acceptable to send me the very dress I couldn’t find for over a year. Why you thought it was a good idea to come here at all. You’re so good at running away, why wouldn’t you just do this from your little hut in Africa?”

“Alaska,” Winnie corrected.

“It could’ve been fucking Antarctica for all we knew,” Keziah snapped. “We called, we wrote, we reached out to your parents, we came to the funeral! You didn’t even acknowledge us!”

“I know and I’m sorry.”

“You’re sorry?” Keziah guffawed. She was almost in hysterics. “No, Winnie, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I ever got mixed up in this whole thing, that I ever decided to move in with you, to become your friend, because if there is anything I’ve learned in all of this is that you are a coward. Any time something got hard, you ran. When you got confronted, you ran. I’m honestly surprised at how hurt I was that you fell off the face of the planet with everything that happened at the hospital. It’s your pattern, it’s what you do.”

“Are you finished?” Winnie crossed her arms over her chest and watched the girl in front of her flush.

“Oh you’ve got some nerve,” Keziah muttered with a pointed finger. “I’m nowhere near finished.”

“Would you like something to drink?” Winnie crossed the floor to the mini refridgerator and pulled out a small bottle of water.

“Who are you?” Keziah was defeated. Emotionally, physically, every part of her was drained. Staring at Winnie she realized that this was not the girl she thought of as a sister. Not the girl who stole the heart of her fiancé’s best friend.

“Isolation changes how you perceive things,” Winnie began, “and being away from all the drama of the company and my relationships really opened my eyes.” Keziah scoffed. “I know you have your opinions, your judgments, because everyone else had them too. I don’t blame you for being angry or upset with me. I wouldn’t expect anything less from you or Patrick.” She took a drink of her water.

“So you’ve magically changed into a new person then. A care free, I don’t give a shit about anything, personality.” Keziah couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Just because you isolated yourself from the world doesn’t mean you’ve changed. It means you’ve evolved into what that area wants you to be.”

“Which is why I am selling the company and going back to that place. I’m happy there! I’ve met new people, made a good name for myself there. Nobody cares that I have money, that I dated a hockey player, they just see me as Winnie, the girl with the husky.”

Silence filled the hotel room while the two girls gazed at each other. Winnie could see the pain flashing through Keziah’s eyes and she felt bad.

“Want to know what I see?” Keziah blinked a few times to hold in the tears. “I see someone that has completely lost her ability to fight for what she loves. I see a girl who decided that hiding is a better way to live her life. Shrinking in the shadows when things got tough and giving up on every single person that ever believed in her, supported her, helped her earn the money she has. Now you’re a free loader, milking what is left from your dad’s fortune and tossing an asset to the wind all because you’ve changed. Newsflash Winnifred, you’re still running.”

“You can take it however you want but I’ve made my decision. My mother will take over the estate and I’ll get my share of whatever my dad left for me. I’ll use it to build my life where I feel accepted.”

“You’re accepted here!” Keziah threw her arms up. “You made a staple in a city that constantly beat you down. You’re just going to throw it all away because Jonathan drove another girl home from the bar?!” Winnie took a breath and locked her jaw. Keziah saw the movement. “He searched for you.”

“I didn’t want to be found.”

“He bailed on practice to try and find you. He flew out to California to talk to your pare-“

“If you’re attempting to make me feel guilty, you’re not succeeding.” Winnie set her jaw. Keziah bit her lip and shook her head. “I knew the consequences of my actions would eventually hurt you and I accepted it. I needed to be happy. Not for anyone else but for myself. I would think that in turn would make you happy.”

“Don’t you even dare try to twist this around on me.” Keziah balled her hands into fists. “This is all you. All the heartache, the hurt, the crying, the moving on, this is your fault. You couldn’t handle the heat so you threw it all away. We moved on and we don’t need you back.”

“Well that’s good,” Winnie kept the pain from her face, “because after tomorrow I am leaving.”

“Good.” Keziah stood up straighter and walked toward the hotel door. “Patrick was right about one thing.”

“What’s that?” Winnie chewed the inside of her cheek.

“You’re definitely not the Winnie we knew. Whoever this person is, she’s an empty shell of who you used to be. What’s really sad is that I’m not upset you gave up on me or Jon, I’m upset you gave up on yourself.” She put her hand on the doorknob and glanced over her shoulder. “Maybe Alaska is good for you because you’re sheltered from all the pain you left behind. Seems to fit your current personality.”

“You should take the dress. It’s the only one in the world left,” Winnie gestured toward the box.

“It doesn’t mean anything coming from someone I don’t recognize.” Once she exited the room Keziah leaned against the wall outside and took a shaky breath. She wanted to hear Winnie yell, scream, come after her, but she was met with just the sound of her breathing. Slapping her hand against the wall she stormed toward the elevators.

Winnie waited three minutes before reacting. Grabbing the water bottle from the table she whipped it across the room. The lid exploded off showering the carpet in droplets, the noise making Gatsby duck behind the side of the bed. Winnie snatched everything in her path and threw it trying to relieve the harsh pain in her chest. Tears rolled down her cheeks while her screams bounced off the walls back at her. Throwing herself face first onto the bed she screamed until her throat hurt, until Gatsby nudged her face with his nose, until the light outside faded to darkness.

She cried until no more tears would fall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
I actually really like this cut on Shailene. That's why I went with it for the sequel.

Our beloved Winnie. Trying to be strong.
Keziah telling her how it is. Get it girl.

A.