‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

Hello, Can You Hear Me?

Chicago was everything Winnie could remember.

Busy, loud, windy, and beautiful all at the same time. She smiled to herself before sipping from the Starbucks cup in her hand. Lucas sat opposite of her at the table and scribbled something down on the pad of paper he had in front of him. His cell phone vibrated obnoxiously next to his arm for the fifth time.

“You know you can answer that, right? I won’t fire you or anything,” Winnie teased. Lucas gave her a side glance before shaking his head.

“I don’t want to answer it.”

“Why not?” She leaned forward in her seat.

“Because it’s Keziah.” He didn’t look up from the stack of papers he was now shuffling through. “And it’s either wedding, hockey, or you related.”

“Well if it’s the wedding, that is kind of a big important event coming up.” She smirked at him again.

“Yes, and she’s made it so very obvious that I am just a surrogate for you.” The phone went off again and he groaned. “Jesus woman!”

Winnie laughed and turned her attention to the window behind her. A few puffs of clouds hovered above them creating mindless patterns in the sky. The sun danced along the carpeted flooring exposing the dust in the air. Today she would be signing a lease on an apartment and finally moving all of her things into the two bedroom space. Gatsby particularly loved the park down the block and the building was only a five minute (if she didn’t catch any lights) walk to the office.

Lucas’ exasperated sigh pulled her attention back to the brunette. He was rubbing his face with one hand and peeking at the texts through his fingers. “I’m going to get gray hair.”

“That’s inevitable,” she dismissed with a wave.

“She wants me to ask you if you would be willing to still give her that dress. And if you would be so kind to deliver it tonight as my date to a dinner I forgot they were having.”

“She’s implying you wouldn’t already have a date.”

“She knows that I don’t. After the last girl she tried to set me up with I refuse to let her intervene. I’ve been arguing about it for the last two weeks with this wretched girl.” He put the phone on the table and clapped his hands together.

“The return of your favorite boss putting a damper on your dating life?” Winnie wiggled her eyebrows while finishing the rest of her drink. Lucas rolled his eyes.

“No. I just, haven’t found a girl that can handle my schedule.”

“Also known as my boss is the biggest cock block,” she continued.

“It’s not you.” He gave her a pointed look. “Even when you were gone it was hard going on one date let alone having a relationship.”

“Well don’t let me stop you from getting that bombshell in your bed. All you have to do is tell me you’re preoccupied and you’ll be a little late.”

“Or you can just be my date and call it a night.”

“Sorry outrageously handsome assistant turned Vice President,” Winnie squeezed his shoulder on her way to the garbage can. “I’ve got a hot date of my own with the engineer of my new apartment building. Moving all my furniture in tonight.”

“I’ll do it. I’ll stay up all night doing whatever you want me to. Just please go with me to get her off my back. I’ll get on my knees if I have to.” He dropped out of the chair onto the floor and Winnie snorted. His bottom lip was stuck in a pout and he batted his eyes. “Winnifred Mikaelson, be my dinner date.”

“If it means that much to you,” she sighed. His arms wrapped around her legs and she swatted at his head. “Get off me.”

“Have I told you how amazing you are? Not just as my boss but as a person?” His mouth tickled her leg and she pushed him off.

“Don’t suck up to me now. I will abuse those muscled arms tonight, trust me.” He got to his feet and brushed off his pants. “Tell her I’ll bring the dress. What’s this dinner for anyway?” She sat back in her chair and looked over the notes he had been taking. He straightened the collar of his shirt and cleared his throat.

“It may or may not be a dinner for the bridal party.” Winnie narrowed her eyes. “To go over details and choose the food for the reception. They are getting it catered from this restaurant.”

“The entire bridal party?”

“Didn’t I mention that earlier?” He scratched the back of his neck nervously.

“So the bridesmaids and the groomsmen will all be there.” He nodded. “Why do you have to be?”

“I’m sort of partly the planner. Or advisee, for Keziah.”

“Now would be a good time to start sucking up to me,” Winnie muttered. She flipped through a couple pages of the report and tried to fight the nasty taste on her tongue.

The entire bridal party. And their dates.

Meaning Jon would be there.

With Lindsey.

Image

Harry Carey’s Italian Steakhouse sat on Kinzie Street nearly at full capacity. A section in the back of the restaurant was roped off for the bridal party, small bows tied to the backs of the chairs. Keziah silently thanked the waiter for pulling out her chair. Patrick quickly sat himself next to her and she anxiously tapped her fingers on her legs.

Tonight was going to go down one of two ways. Everyone would be fine and nothing would go wrong. Or, what she knew in the back of her mind was really going to happen would be absolute chaos. When she read that Winnie had actually agreed to come she wasn’t sure how to feel.

It had been two weeks since she spoke to her former best friend. Since the texting incident. Pat and Jon had been on the rocks as well, their performance in the playoffs lack luster. Keziah had her doubts about her favorite team advancing past St. Louis.

“You’ve been on edge all afternoon babe,” Patrick mumbled. His hand found her thigh and gave it a slight squeeze. “Everything is going to be fine.”

“I have a very strong feeling that the exact opposite is bound to happen.” She met her future husband’s intense stare and nibbled on her lower lip. The ends of his curls were still damp from the quick shower they had shared before heading out the door. “Hell is going to freeze.”

“Then we will stay nice and cool,” he joked. She rolled her eyes and he pressed his lips to her cheek. “Relax. This is about us. Not them, not the past, but our future. If they let what happened ruin this night then they don’t really give two shits about our lives.”

“I’m amazed there are still coherent thoughts in that head of yours,” she teased. He pinched her lightly and she slapped his hand.

“Can’t you guys keep your hands off each other for at least five minutes?” Keziah smiled at her maid of honor. The taller blonde carefully dodged the hand of her brother and hugged the bride to be.

“Don’t be jealous of our love,” Patrick chimed. She made a gagging noise and sat down to the left of Keziah.

“No jealousy. If anything, it’s sympathy. This poor woman agreed to spend the rest of her life with your stupid ass.” Keziah laughed which only made Patrick feign hurt. His hand rested over his heart and he frowned.

“Wow sis, that hurts.”

“You’re a baby.” She lifted the glass of water and sipped from it. “Where are the others?”

“On their way,” Keziah answered quietly. She reached for her glass but knocked into it roughly, the water along the rim splashing onto the white tablecloth. “Shit.”

“What’s got your panties in a twist?” Erica unfolded her napkin, the two girls dabbing at the spilled liquid.

“She’s afraid that one of three people coming tonight is going to cause too much drama for her to handle,” Patrick admitted with a shrug. Keziah glared at him, mouth open to retort, when Jonathan and Lindsey appeared. He quickly stood from the chair and offered his hand to his best man, the taller of the two extending his own.

“He got her to come?” Erica whispered. Keziah let out a breath and tried to push the negative thoughts out of her head.

“I don’t think I fully prepared myself for the amount of shit that will hit the fan tonight.” Keziah folded the soiled napkin and put it on the empty plate. She followed Patrick’s lead and stood to greet the two new faces to surround the table.

Fifteen minutes later and all but two chairs were full. The waiter, Lupe, had introduced himself and easily took all their drink orders. Two bottles of already chilled wine sat in the middle of the 10 person arrangement. Keziah had nearly forgotten they were still waiting for their final guests until Lindsey asked.

“Who’s missing?”

“Her BFF Lucas,” Erica mused only to get a reaction from her brother. She ignored the nudge Keziah gave her under the table and smiled when Patrick’s neck turned red. “He’s bringing a hot date.”

“Is that the hottie I always see coming to visit you on lunch break?” A small brunette questioned from across the table. Patrick nearly choked on his water.

“Yes, Margaret, that would be him.”

“He visits you at lunch?” Patrick’s voice was low and earned a chuckle from Jon.

“Calm down killer. Pretty sure the infamous Lucas bats for the other team.”

“Wow, Jon, didn’t know you thought so highly of me.” It was Jon’s turn to choke on his water. Erica saw the way Keziah practically jumped at the sound of his voice. But it wasn’t because of Lucas. It was because of the girl who currently had her arm linked with his. “Sorry we’re late.”

“I ran by your building to drop off that package you asked for,” Winnie spoke softly. Jon’s hand tensed into a fist and the entire room suddenly got very cold. Erica watched the blonde girl next to the hockey captain very carefully as the two rounded the table to take their seats.

Keziah cleared her throat. “Well, now that everyone is here, I think we can go ahead and put an order in.”

“This is going to be interesting,” Erica muttered. Lindsey couldn’t tear her eyes away from Winnie. “If looks could kill.”

“Let’s not draw attention to the elephant in the room,” Keziah hissed.

“Are you calling me fat?” Erica joked and Keziah blanched. All eyes were on the two girls. “You know I’ve been struggling with my self-esteem!”

“Oh please,” Keziah sighed, “I would absolutely trade you bodies any day.”

“Let’s not,” Patrick chirped. “Picturing the things we do with my sister’s body, no thanks.”

“You’re a real charmer Kane,” Keziah said.

Most of the tension fizzled out with their interaction. But Keziah didn’t miss the looks Jonathan sent to a particular person at the end of the table who was in a deep conversation with one of the bridesmaids.
♠ ♠ ♠
A.