‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

When We Were Younger And Free

“It doesn’t go there.” Five seconds later. “Or there.”

“It would be very helpful if you would stop pointing and actually assist me in moving this monstrosity,” Lucas muttered. Winnie took a long sip from her glass of wine and smirked behind the glass. His muscles strained against the dark fabric of the t-shirt he was wearing, sweat beading around his neck line, and she popped her lips.

“A little more to the left.”

“You’re going to be the death of me.” He edged the sectional a few inches and set the end down. Stretching out his back he took a deep breath and gazed at the girl currently analyzing the room. For the last three hours he had been pushing, carrying, shoving, lifting, and rearranging her furniture, something he dreaded agreeing to after twenty minutes of her constant indecision. Gatsby lay sprawled on the floor in the corner of the room watching lazily as they went back and forth. Music played softly from the Bluetooth speaker now set up on the shelving unit against the wall.

The living room was painted a dark grey, hard wood floors stretching from wall to wall. The shelving unit was a dark brown to match the floor with a large rug currently housing a glass coffee table. A random painting hung on the opposite wall colored in only black and white. Winnie had found it at a small shop in Alaska and decided she needed it. Granted there wasn’t any room in her small shack for it but she had made it work. Two windows sat on either side of the 50” television holding grey curtains. A slight wind billowed the bottoms out making a wave affect.

“You signed up for this,” she teased. Finishing the wine in her glass she lifted it. “You want anything?”

“I’ll have a beer, or five,” he joked. He sank down in the cushions of the long side of the couch and let out a deep breath.

“Why the long face?” Winnie handed him the bottle of beer and joined him, Gatsby still staring at the two from the floor. He took a long drink and let the cold liquid cool his core.

“Just been a long two weeks.”

“I wouldn’t have anything to do with that, would I?” He could hear her sarcasm and chuckled.

“I’m surprised tonight went as well as it did.” He watched her chug half of the glass and raised a brow in her direction.

“I was on my best behavior, didn’t punch anyone, and now I can drink away all my stress.”

“Punch anyone? Who did you want to punch?”

“Oh please, it’s obvious who I want to punch.”

“Really, enlighten me.”

“Miss blonde, I’m going to show off what you let go, priss bitch of shitland.”

“Tell me how you really feel,” Lucas laughed and she rolled her eyes.

“Wine brings out the worst in me.”

“What? They didn’t teach you alcohol tolerance in Alaska?” Lucas poked her in the rib and she squeaked.

“Don’t do that.”

“Why not?” He poked her again and she scooted away from him.

“I’m serious Lucas,” she stuck her finger at him, “stop tickling me.”

“Or what?” He poked her on the opposite side and she almost dropped her glass.

“Gatsby,” the dog’s ears perked up, “attack.” He didn’t move, Lucas taking the opportunity to poke her several times. “Sick him, attack, bite his leg off!” Her voice raised an octave with each poke until she scurried off the couch and to her feet. The dog ignored her glare, tucking his head under one of his legs. She let out another squawk bending away from Lucas’ outstretched hand. “Stop it!”

He chased her around the new apartment avoiding the various boxes still untouched on the floor. She managed to set her glass down on the kitchen island and grab hold of the hose attached to the sink, the sprayer in her hand at the read. “Lucas Freyer, if you move another inch I’m spraying you.” He moved his hand along the marble counter top and she shot him with cold water. His eyes went wide and she almost choked on a giggle.

“You actually shot me.”

“I told you I would!” He stepped toward her and she raised the nozzle higher. “I’m warning you.” He wiggled his fingers and rushed her, both of them yelling out. She squeezed the nozzle and got him in the face, his laugh echoing off the walls as the water drenched both of them. His hands found her sides and she started twisting out of his grasp. “Stop!” She half-cried, half-laughed, her hands dropping the hose to pry his fingers away from her body.

“Say the magic word!” He had her trapped in the corner of the kitchen with her back to the fridge. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were closed from laughter.

“I don’t know ,” she slapped at his hands, “the magic word!” She ducked under one of his arms and dashed around the island. Jumping over one of the larger boxes she made a beeline for her bedroom and shut the door.

“Winnie!” She leaned into the wood panting. “Come out of there.”

“No way!” Her clothes, now soaked, clung to her body. The chill from the air conditioning gave her goosebumps.

“I promise I won’t tickle you anymore.”

“Liar.” She heard him sigh.

“Alright, alright. I give up. I’ll be on the couch.” She waited until his footsteps faded before pushing away from the door. Her bedroom was still naked, only a bed and dresser pushed up against one of the walls. Floor to ceiling windows lined a five foot section of the East wall. When the sun rose, orange and yellow danced around her beige room giving off the natural light she loved so much. There was a closet big enough to put everything she had taken to Alaska inside of, only housing most of her business suits and skirts. Eventually she would want to paint it, put up pictures, but for now she was content with her space.

A master bathroom attached to her room, with a guest bathroom and bedroom just down the hall. The last door on her right would be her office space. She poked her head outside of her room and listened for any noises. Gatsby’s light snoring and music filled the apartment.

“Lucas?” Venturing into the hallway the hardwood was a stark contrast in temperature from the carpet in her bedroom. Her toes stuck to the surface slightly and she carefully rounded the end of the hallway. Arms wrapped around her torso and she cried out. She kicked him in the knee and he grunted sending both of them to the floor in a pile of limbs.

“That wasn’t very nice,” he grumbled. Winnie stared up at him with a grin.

“Neither was sneaking up on me.” They stayed in that position gazing at each other. Their chests would touch when they took a deep breath and suddenly the room began to feel warm. Winnie licked her lips and watched his eyes dance around her face. She could see his concentration wavering. “What is it?”

“I still see you, the real you,” he answered quietly. He brushed some hair out of her face and she felt her throat tighten. “You don’t have to hide from me.”

“Lucas,” she let his name float from her mouth, the gap closing between them, before loud knocking ripped through the sudden silence. He jumped, his senses clearing, and easily helped them both to their feet. She cleared her throat and smoothed out her clothes. Making her way to the door she had just put her hand on the knob when the person knocked again. Pulling the door open Winnie leaned into the fixture with a curious expression. Standing at her door was a scantily dressed Lindsey Vecchione. “Just finished spreading your legs?”

Lindsey scoffed at her and crossed her arms. “You’ve got some nerve.”

“I think you’re the one with nerve knocking on my door at such a late hour,” Winnie continued.

“Yes well, if you could kindly keep your bedroom shenanigans to a minimum when my boyfriend is trying to sleep, it would be greatly appreciated. You know he has a big game coming up tomorrow and he needs all the rest he can get.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize the quality of sound our apartment building has to offer.”

“Everything alright?” Lucas came up from behind and shadowed Winnie’s smaller figure.

“It’ll be fine just as soon as you keep it down. There are other people who live on this floor.”

“I can easily make that change,” Winnie fired back. Lindsey glowered at her.

“Whatever. Rich daddy dies and you get all the money, must be nice to not have to work for it.” The blonde turned on her heel and stalked down the hallway.

“You have a dollar bill sticking out of your ass!” Winnie yelled slamming the door shut. Lucas watched her face flush more. “I need more alcohol.”

Image

Winnie sat at her desk with the blinds drawn and a pair of dark sunglasses on her nose. A tall glass of water sat empty on the edge of her desk. Her laptop sat untouched, the lights on her phone blinking constantly, but she sat in complete silence. It wasn’t until her phone screen lit up that she moved for the first time in two hours.

“Yes?”

“You aren’t answering the phones.”

“I’m dead, please leave a message. Beep.” She listened to Lucas’ laugh on the other end.

“Truly are a light weight.”

“Light weight? I drank two bottles of wine by myself!” She cringed from the loudness of her own voice. “You did nothing to help me.”

“Sure I did. Kept you from attacking your neighbor.”

“Ugh,” she leaned back in the chair and stared at the ceiling. “Please don’t remind me of my outburst. I’m going to have to pave that dirt road 17 times over before that clears up.”

“Pave that dirt road? Are you sure you weren’t in Georgia for two years?”

“Is there a reason why you are tormenting me with noise or should I just hang up now?” Winnie rubbed the side of her head gently.

“Keziah wants us all to go to lunch.”

“Us all?” Winnie didn’t like the sound of this.

“You, me, her, Patrick, maybe a few others.”

“If by a few others you mean Jonathan and Lindsey, the answer is I would rather jump off the roof of this building than be in the same block as her right now. All she’s going to do is dig at me and I might end up stabbing her in the throat.”

“I knew the old, vicious, hostile Winnie was still alive in there.”

“I’m going to hit you.”

“After lunch. I’m on my way down the hall now to get you, we’re going. I have a plan.”

“Oh no, look at the time, I have a confer-“ she didn’t finish her sentence before he waltzed into her office. Sighing in defeat she set the phone down and scowled at him. He wore grey dress pants and a white shirt, tucked under the grey suit jacket he was currently buttoning up. A dark grey tie topped off his look.

“You haven’t moved from that chair all morning, have you?”

“I don’t think you understand the state of pure distress my body is under. Everything hurts.”

“I’ll make it as painless as possible. I promise.”

“How do you expect to do that? Sit her and Jonathan in a completely different section out of throwing distance so I don’t end up with a fork in my shoulder?” She leaned on her elbows and sighed.

“With Kez and Pat there, nothing bad is going to happen. Keziah will rip Lindsey a new asshole if she even tries anything. She told me herself.”

“If any flying objects come my way, I’m using you as a shield.” She let out a breath and exaggerated her movements. Pushing away from the desk she continued to huff and hung onto his arm. “Can you carry me?”

Without hesitation he swept his arm up under her legs and lifted her from the ground. She swatted his chest playfully and laughed. “Put me down.”

“You asked,” he stated with a shrug. Setting her back on her feet she straightened out her skirt. “How dark are those circles around your eyes?”

“Dark enough to ask for us to sit outside,” she muttered.

Lucas offered his arm once they got out of the taxi. The ride had been spent chit chatting about upcoming contracts and deadlines, Winnie furiously typing away at emails on her phone she had ignored that morning. She gazed up at the large sign hanging over the street and frowned.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been here.”

“Keziah apparently loves it,” Lucas said mimicking her voice. Winnie snorted in laughter.

“Lucas, Winnie!” Keziah waved to them from a group of tables pushed together on the patio. Winnie silently thanked her former best friend for not having to take off the sunglasses.

“Thanks for the invite. We needed an escape,” Lucas joked. He gave Keziah a light hug and shook Patrick’s hand. Winnie wasn’t sure exactly what she should do until the strawberry blonde wrapped her arms around her.

“Thanks for coming.” Winnie patted her lightly on the back and gave Patrick a small wave before sitting in the seat next to Lucas. “Jon and Lindsey are on their way.”

“Can’t wait!” Winnie sipped from the water glass and felt Lucas pat her thigh. She gave him a small grin and put the glass down. “So how is everything? I didn’t really get to talk to you at the dinner the other night. Wedding plans coming along?”

“So far, so good, I think,” Patrick answered with a shrug. Keziah rolled her eyes.

“Everything is going fine. Thank you for helping me with, well, you know,” she gestured with her hands and Winnie nodded.

“It’s the least I could do.” She laughed quietly. “I remember that encyclopedia of wedding stuff you showed me.”

“It wasn’t that big.”

“Like a high school Biology text book,” Winnie joked. Keziah’s cheeks turned red and Patrick kissed her.

“I still love you babe, crazy and all.”

“Sorry we’re late!” Lindsey’s voice carried over to the group and Winnie was thankful for the sunglasses concealing the narrowed glare she was delivering. When her eyes fell on Jonathan, she was thankful for the shades for a whole new reason. He might have only been in a polo shirt and jeans, but he still made her heart flutter. She hated it.

“Glad to see you two could make it. I was afraid after last night neither of you would get out of bed,” Lindsey said. She thanked Jonathan for pulling out her chair and gave Winnie a shit-eating grin.

“What?” Keziah gave both of them a look of surprise.

“They didn’t tell you? They were up all night making lots of noise. Winnie here moved in on the same floor as me.” Lindsey broke off a piece of bread and chewed on it. Winnie couldn’t decide if she wanted to pull out her hair or poke her in the eye with her knife.

“Oh really?” Patrick tried to hide his grin behind his glass. He could feel the anger rolling off of Winnie.

“I asked Lucas to help me move some furniture around, make the place more cozy.”

“You looked more than cozy to me, wet clothes and all.” Jonathan shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Water fights, wrestling, it was a fun night,” Winnie continued. “And what do you know, he didn’t have to give me any money for a good time.”

“Alright, where’s the waiter?” Keziah set down her menu and tried to wave down an employee.

“I don’t really like how you’re speaking to my girlfriend,” Jonathan spoke up finally.

“Well I don’t appreciate the way your girlfriend is talking to my girlfriend,” Lucas countered. Winnie grabbed a piece of bread and threw it in her mouth to keep from saying anything else. “So why don’t we call it a truce, enjoy the lunch that our friends invited us to, and keep the insults for a different day.” Jonathan’s jaw clenched and released before he nodded slightly, his head leaning to Lindsey to whisper something in her ear.

Keziah looked at Patrick and then to Lucas who gave her a megawatt smile.

“I’ll be the bigger person and apologize for what I said. We’re here for the soon to be married couple over here,” Lindsey faked a smile, “and what we are doing is unfair to them.”

Lucas nudged Winnie who looked at Keziah. “Same here.”

“Excellent. I’m going to have the Chicken Parmesan, what about you?” Keziah distracted the table by looking more at the menu and kicked Winnie under the table. The brunette turned to her with a furrowed brow. “You two are dating?!”

“According to him,” Winnie gestured with her thumb at Lucas.

“You’ve got a lot of explaining to do.” Keziah unfolded her napkin. “You’re coming over to my place tonight for drinks.”

“Yes ma’am.” Winnie saluted her and barely avoided the hand that came at her. Smiling, she glanced at Jonathan who sat very rigid in his chair, his brown eyes smoldering, and she knew this wasn’t going to end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
This is Lucas.

Insert crazy banshee scream of excitement.

I am actually excited about this chapter, and what it means. Because sparks are flying, good and bad, and I'm the one who gets to unravel it! Muahwhwhaha

A.