‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

Hello From the Other Side

Keziah took a large bite out of her sandwich. Some of the cheese oozed out of the back and dropped down to the tray holding the remaining fries. She made a noise in the back of her throat and picked up a napkin to wipe her lips. She was in food heaven.

"You look like a bear eating salmon straight out of the river," Winnie commented with a disgusted expression. She sat with a plastic fork and knife in her hands ready to cut up her pizza.

"This is considered the best sandwich in the world," Keziah mumbled before taking a drink of water. "You can't knock it until you try it."

"Oh I'll keep knocking," Winnie said waving the knife in front of her, "because I am not trying that thing."

"It's so good." For emphasis, Keziah took another large bite. Winnie stuck out her tongue and started to cut the pizza, eating a few smaller bites. "Who cuts their pizza anyway?"

"I do, when it's super hot. I would prefer to keep all my fingers burn free." Winnie took another bite. "What made you want to come to Ricobene's in the first place?"

"Patrick mentioned it the other day and since then I've been craving the breaded steak. It's always his fault." Setting the sandwich down she wiped her fingers off. "So how's the office life?"

"I love your rapid change in subject," Winnie mused. She sipped the Diet Coke on her left and let out a breath. "What did he tell you?"

"What did who tell me?" Keziah played innocent lifting her cup to her mouth.

"Lucas." Winnie plucked a piece of pepperoni off the slice and chewed on it. "You talk to him more than you talk to me."

"He's partially my wedding planner, I have to," Keziah defended. Winnie rolled her eyes. "He just mentioned how you two had a slumber party the other night."

"Slumber party," Winnie repeated slowly.

"You drank too much wine, again, and called him. He came to your rescue, left in the morning, all the jazz." Keziah folded her hands under her chin. "I just need to make sure there's no tension going on between you two for the wedding. Can't have my two best friends hating each other."

"I've been promoted!" Winnie's outburst caused a few other guests to glance at them.

"You were never demoted, technically. You were on the reserve list for a while," Keziah explained. Picking up the sandwich she turned it a few ways before sinking her teeth back in.

"I don't think anything that I do can ever make up for my severe lapse in judgement. But I can promise you that there is no tension between Lucas and I, that I know of." Winnie made a face. "Unless he told you otherwise."

"He said he was just being a good friend. The shoulder to cry on for you. Hearing what you did couldn't have been easy." Keziah licked the red sauce off her fingers and took the last bite.

"I definitely wasn't ready to hear it, that's for sure." Winnie sighed, the plastic ware sitting on the now empty plate. "It's not like I expected it to be a warm welcome. I guess I just didn't want to hear it? To think that maybe there was something there? I don't know." She put her head in her hands and let out another sigh.

"Do you still love him?"

"A part of me will always love him. I have never felt anything as intense in my life than when I was with Jonathan," Winnie admitted sadly. She tore the corner off her napkin and tossed it onto the tray. "But I know I shouldn't just hang around hoping he'll dump Lindsuck."

"For whatever reason she makes him happy enough to move on. I don't like it either, trust me, but maybe there's something right in front of you that can be just as good if not better." Keziah wiped her mouth again. "Or someone."

"Are you seriously trying to play match maker between Lucas and myself?" Winnie stared at her friend.

"I'm just saying! Clearly there's more than what used to be between you two," Keziah waved her hands around, "so take it slow. Dip your toes in the sand and taste the margarita. Twirl the umbrella. You've been spending all this time trying to make up for being gone that you're forgetting about yourself. You shouldn't be miserable."

"I'm not miserable," Winnie scoffed only to receive a familiar look from Keziah. "Fine. I've been miserable. What has Lucas been saying to you to get you all worked up about this anyway?"

"I like your rapid change in subject," Keziah mocked. Leaning back in the chair she shrugged. "He likes you."

"That means nothing."

"No, dumbass, like, likes you. He wants to ask you on a date but isn't sure how you would take it." Keziah checked her phone. "I told him to stop being a pussy and go for it."

"No you didn't," Winnie countered. "You like him too much to call him a pussy."

"Well I told him not to sit around and wait," she stated, her thumbs flying over the screen of her phone.

"Who's that?" Winnie peered over the table and laughed. "Is that Lucas?!"

"It may or may not be," Keziah countered with a grin.

"What are you saying?" She tried to see the small text but Kezah shoved the phone back into her purse. "Kez!"

"I was just telling him that you looked amazing today and the opportunity is a knocking on the door."

"What makes you think I would even say yes if he did?"

"The way your cheeks turn a shade a pink whenever we mention him," Keziah replied. Winnie chewed on the inside of her cheek. "Can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me that you're just friends? You have zero feelings outside of work?"

"I can tell you that I hate you and you suck," Winnie pouted. Her entire face flushed and she hid behind her hands.

"I knew it!" Keziah snapped her fingers and started poking Winnie in the arm. "You wanna hug him, you wanna kiss him, you wanna touch him."

"I wanna stab you," Winnie mimicked playfully grabbing the plastic knife. Keziah's smile could've lit up an entire night sky.

"Outrageously gorgeous assistant for the win," Keziah teased.

"You're a goon."

"So are you." Keziah pushed her chair back. "We're the goonies!"

"Now I'm going to be all nervous at the office. Waiting for him to come in and be all, 'hey Winnie. Dinner tonight? Cool.' This is all your fault!" Winnie threw her garbage away and wrapped the strap of her clutch around her wrist.

"I'm an evil genius just trying to make the world a better place." Keziah held open the door.

"Wicked witch of the West is more fitting."

Image

Music pounded off the walls. Colored lights danced along the floor mixing with the many bodies moving together. Couches were occupied with laughing groups, drunk couples, and drinks littered every table lining the building. There were two VIP sections in the small club in the back. A small set of stairs lead up to a roped off area that only those with a certain colored wristband had access to.

Behind the rope there was an open area for people to dance in a somewhat private sense, not worrying about a stranger bumping into them or risking a drink being spilled on their clothes. Off to the right stood a tall table for people to lean on. A long, red, velvet couch stretched along the back wall with a skinny table to hold whatever glasses needed to be refilled. There was a room closed off by curtain that blocked out most of the noise. Two couches, a chair, and a big screen television provided entertainment for those not interested in dancing to the loud music blaring beyond the curtain. Two waiters filtered in and out of the VIP section for drink orders and clearing out the empty glasses.

Winnie could feel the nerves pulsing through her body at the same pace as the bass. She slowly spun the already empty glass with her fingers. Keziah and Patrick danced off to the side with the occasional whisper to one another. Jonathan and Lindsey were late, per usual, with a few of the other members of the team lounging around. She was pretty sure that Andrew Shaw and Duncan Keith were in the room in a heated battle of Mario Kart. She was not sure who had gotten away with bringing the gaming system into the club.

“Another drink ma’am?” The waiter offered his hand to take the glass and she nodded. Her hair was down, slightly flippy at the ends, and her outfit was a little tight. Keziah had demanded she helped pick the perfect ensemble for her friend.

“He’s going to come.” Winnie rolled her eyes. “He is!”

“Or he’s going to think I’m a total douche and decide it’s not worth it.” Winnie ran a slightly shaking hand through her hair. Keziah snaked her arm around Winnie’s torso and tugged her from the table.

“He’s going to come and he’s going to love it. Now loosen up and dance with us!” Winnie let out an audible groan but didn’t let her body protest. Patrick took her hand and slowly spun her around. Keziah put her arms up and swayed her hips, Patrick’s hand easily finding her waist and guiding her into his body.

Winnie spotted the late duo coursing through the crowd. Jonathan had his usual black t-shirt and jeans with a hat covering his dark hair. Lindsey had her blonde hair braided off to the side and a strapless shirt barely covering her top half. A pair of dark leather pants stuck to her thighs and her make-up was slightly smeared around her eyes. It wasn’t until Lindsey stood on her tip toes to say something to Jon that she scrunched her nose.

“Something wrong?” Keziah eyed her friend cautiously. Winnie took a deep breath and shook her head, letting the sour face fall. Jonathan flashed his wristband to the security guard who quickly let the both of them pass.

“I just think I need another drink. To help with my nerves.” Not waiting for either of them to respond she rushed over to the stairs. She gave Lindsey and Jonathan a small wave ignoring the glare thrown in her direction.

Weaving through the throngs of people she managed to make her way to the smaller bar in the center of the dance floor. A girl with wildly colored hair gave her a toothy grin. Her tanktop was ripped all along her stomach and her shorts left little to the imagination.

“What can I get you?” Winnie detected an accent.

“Something strong but with flavor?” Winnie leaned out of the way of a girl who threw her upper body in weird angles. “I’m not picky.”

“Rough night?” The bartender started pouring three bottles at once. The colors blended together and came out a dark red.

“Just waiting for someone to show up.” Winnie’s hands tapped the counter rhythmically.

“Boyfriend?” She slid the glass across the counter and popped a straw into the mix. Lifting it Winnie took a sip and almost choked on the alcohol sitting on her tongue. Regaining her composure, she set the glass down and made a face the bartender laughed at. “You wanted strong.”

“You’re not lying,” Winnie coughed. Taking a breath through her nose she rolled her neck. “How much?”

“It’s on me. Anyone willing to drink that deserves a break.” Winnie tossed a twenty on the ledge and walked away. Her lips were wrapped around the straw while she moved. She kept her eyes focused on the people around her to avoid getting bumped, her head bobbing to the beat of a song she didn’t know. Lifting her free hand at the security guard she set the glass down on the table by the couch and plopped down. Three more drinks and twenty minutes later, Winnie giggled when Keziah sat down next to her.. Patrick was quick to join the two.

“I’m either going to throw up in about twenty minutes or never drink again,” Winnie said pushing the drink in front of Keziah. “Taste that.” Winnie snickered when both made the same face she had.

“Holy fuck,” Patrick sputtered. Grabbing the bottle of beer to his left he chugged it. “What did they put in that thing?”

“No clue,” Winnie said with a shrug. She lifted the glass and took another sip. “But I’ll be feeling good in about three minutes.”

“That’s terrible and good at the same time,” Keziah muttered wiping her mouth. Winnie nodded.

“Where is everybody?”

“Playing Mario Kart like a bunch of old men who can’t handle the club life,” Patrick explained. “Bunch of pussies.”

“What was that?” Jonathan and Andrew materialized out of nowhere. Patrick finished his beer.

“I said you guys are a bunch of old men!”

“Says the guy who’s been sitting since he got here,” Shaw replied with a grin.

“I danced with Kez.”

“For ten minutes,” Keziah replied poking him in the side. “You’re all old men.”

“You’re marrying this old man.”

“Don’t remind me.”

“Please stop,” Winnie blurted throwing her head back. “You guys are making me sick.”

“Are you drunk already?” Shaw stepped around the table and went to mess up her hair. Winnie grabbed his wrist and fake punched him.

“Buzzed.”

“That’s like your second drink!”

“Fifth! You go get one of these and tell me you’re not feeling it after it’s half gone,” Winnie demanded. She watched Jonathan chuckle and offered him the glass. “Tell me I’m lying.” She cackled when Jon almost spit it out.

“Holy fuck.”

“That’s what I said,” Patrick laughed. Jon put the glass on the table and grabbed Shaw’s shoulder.

“Let’s go get old men drinks. Leave these hip youngsters to their heavy dancing.”

“Go suck a dick!” Winnie called out after them. Shaw saluted her and she started laughing again.

“Oh my lanta you’re already drunk,” Keziah groaned.

“I am not!” Winnie got up off the couch and swayed slightly. “Maybe a little. I told you, three minutes.”

“Put some meat on your bones and you’ll be able to handle more liquor,” Patrick said taking another beer from the waiter. “Hang out with us old men.” Winnie rolled her eyes and was about to say something when she spotted a dark haired man walking up the steps. It could’ve been attributed to the alcohol flowing through her but she suddenly got very hot. Lucas showed the wristband and smiled at the trio as he approached.

“Lucas! You came!” Winnie stood up straighter and felt sticky all over.

“Of course he did,” Keziah scolded. “Happy Birthday!”

Winnie waited until he finished hugging the strawberry blonde and giving Patrick the typical man-hug before moving toward him. He faced her and had his mouth open to speak but she cut him off. Digging her fingers into his hair she pulled his face to hers and everything went silent. She could feel his shock in the tenseness of his body until his lips began to move against hers. He let his hands rest on her hips and her body got tingly. Separating she took a deep breath and smiled widely at him.

“Happy Birthday!” She kissed him lightly and practically bounced her way back to the couch to sit next to a gawking Keziah.

She made a face, laughed, and took another drink. “Sit! Talk! The cake will be here soon.”

“There’s cake?” Patrick asked. Keziah slapped him on the tight. “What?”

“Something very big just happened and you ask about cake?” He shrugged and she scoffed.

“Something bigger might happen.” Lifting a brow at him, Keziah looked in the direction he pointed at to see a very unhappy looking Jonathan Toews.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wellllllll. There's this.

A.