‹ Prequel: Centuries

Hello

To Tell You I'm Sorry

Winnie was a hot mess. Her hair was pulled into a small ponytail with several strands hanging loosely around her face, her eyes were puffy from lack of sleep, and her clothes were wrinkled from sleeping in her chair for the third day in a row. Gatsby lay next to her desk with his nose buried into his side.

"No, I did not agree to add another grand to the contract Mark. Don't give me that bullshit story. Either you want it or you don't, simple as that." Slamming the phone down onto the receiver she squeezed her eyes shut. It was turning into the week from Hell.

"Ms. Mikaelson?" A female voice statically filtered through the speaker.

"What is it now Bethany?"

"Mr. Freyer needs you in the conference room."

"Tell Mr. Freyer that if the fucking phones would stop ringing off the hook then maybe I would have five minutes to spare out of my day." Winnie let out a huff of air and pressed down on the button. "I'm sorry Bethany, that was out of line."

"It's understandable ma'am." A couple seconds passed by. "He says it's an emergency."

"Send my calls to voicemail," Winnie muttered pushing away from the desk. Gatsby lifted his head and settled back down when she made no gesture. Picking up her cellphone she practically marched through her office and down the hall. The last door on the left leading to Lucas' office was slightly ajar and she yanked open the door. The large wooden table was empty along with the eight chairs surrounding it. "What the hell is the big emergency?" Spinning to face Lucas she let out a gasp when his lips crashed onto hers.

He pushed her back toward the table until the tops of her thighs felt the cold surface. Goose bumps lined her arms and she felt a heat burn in her stomach. Not bothering to ask questions she dropped the phone on the table and tangled her fingers into his hair. His hands greedily felt along her torso, his fingers unfastening the buttons on her shirt, and she pressed her chest against his.

Effortlessly he lifted her onto the table and she opened her legs for him to get closer. His hands pushed up the skirt hugging her skin and she felt his fingertips dig into her thighs. Sliding her hands down his chest she started untucking his shirt, the fabric easily pulling loose, and ripped it open. The grunt in the back of his throat signaled his surprise. Mimicking her actions he tore open her shirt and she tossed it onto the floor. His palms were fire on her skin until he cupped her breasts, the thin fabric of her bra itching.

Doing his best not to hurt her he lowered her until her back was flush to the table. She took a deep breath through her nose and let out a sigh as his mouth traveled south. He traced circles with his tongue on her collarbone, planted light kisses down her stomach, and let his right hand run along her inner thigh.

He gazed at her hungrily and she made a noise. "What are you waiting for?"

"Aren't you going to get that?"

"Get what?" It was then she could hear the buzzing noise.

"You're not wearing any shoes." Both of his hands held her feet gently.

"What?" Winnie positioned herself on her elbows.

"You didn't wear any shoes." He tisked. "You could get foot fungus." The buzzing got louder. "Answer it."

"Answer what?"

"The phone."

Winnie jolted up from the couch. Blinking a few times she glanced down to see she was hugging one of the cushions and threw it on the other end. Letting out a frustrated growl she threw her body back down into the couch. Rubbing her face she heard the buzzing again and peaked through her fingers. Lucas highlighted the screen. The noise stopped and she squeezed her eyes shut hoping that it wouldn't start back up again. The last week had been mental torture not only for herself but for Keziah as well.

She didn't remember much from the night at the club other than practically mauling Lucas with her mouth and then passing out on the couch. When she woke up she was in her bed with the covers tucked around her. She didn't have time to confront the boy in question because he had left to go home to visit family. While part of her was happy she could avoid the conversation bound to destroy everything she had built up, another small part of her was sad he was gone.

Mental torture.

The phone started vibrating again and she yelled into her palms. Blindly feeling for it on the table she slid her finger over the screen and kept her face covered with her free hand.

"Hello?"

"Were you sleeping?" She could feel her neck turning red at the sound of Lucas' voice. "It took you forever to answer."

"Sorry, it was on vibrate." Mentally slapping herself she let out a breath. "What's up?"

"Kez and Kane are having a small dinner thing for me at their place, do you want to come?" She glanced at the clock. "As my pretend girlfriend you're kind of obligated."

"Which means Jonathan and Lindsuck will be there. Tap that on to the list of awkward things for the day." She swung her legs over the side of the couch and wiggled her toes. "What's the purpose of said gathering?"

"A birthday dinner? I don't know, Keziah rambled on about it being a combination of birthday and appreciation for helping her with everything. I personally think it's her way of trying to put us together without putting us together. After the club incident."

"Well when someone leaves you and goes on a week vacation back to Hickville it makes it difficult to be put together. Besides, that was my present to you, a sloppy, drunken kiss. As your pretend girlfriend and all." Standing from the couch she stretched out her arms and legs.

"Well, pretend girlfriend, I might have to take you with me the next time I go home to prove to you it's not Hickville."

"That's if we make it through tonight's dinner first. What time are we meeting?" She heard a knock on her front door. "Nevermind." Ending the call she maneuvered around the still unpacked boxes and opened the door, her back already turned before he entered. "I should've known you were coming."

"Got GPS on me?" He joked. She snorted in response and shook her head.

"If only it were that. Would you mind changing Gatsby's water for me while I change?" He heard her footsteps padding down the hall but didn't hear a door shut. Rubbing his hands together he grabbed the bowl from the floor and dumped out what was left. Turning on the faucet he let the water run cold before refilling the silver object, Gatsby trotting over from his corner to sniff it out. Lucas put it back by the food and scratched the dog behind his ears.

Winnie emerged from her bedroom a few minutes later in a pair of khaki shorts and a teal tanktop. Tousling her hair with her fingers she easily tied it back with the band on her wrist. Tapping her chin she decided to slip on her brown sandals. Letting her arms fall to her sides she smiled at him. He was leaning against the counter in a pair of jeans and a dark grey t-shirt. His hair sat perfectly and his blue eyes glistened.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be." Grabbing her keys they ventured into the hallway and down to the elevator. Winnie rubbed her arm and let out a huff of air.

"What's wrong?" Lucas smiled at her.

"Can we not make it awkward? About the whole kiss thing?" Winnie stepped into the elevator first. "I only half knew what I was doing."

"Blaming the alcohol for kissing your pretend boyfriend?" He nudged her and she buried her face in her hands. "It's fine Winnie, water under the bridge. Best birthday present I got though, that's for sure."

Winnie frowned slightly, her thoughts plaguing her as they exited the building. Lucas waved down a taxi and held open the door for her to slide in. Asking about it not being awkward had only made it just that, more awkward.

Image

"Do you think anyone would be mad if I stabbed Lindsuck with this wooden spoon?" Winnie twirled the object in her fingers with a smirk.

"I think Jonathan would be mad," Keziah said snatching the spoon away from the brunette, "and I would be. Do you know how hard blood is to get out of carpet?"

"Not very if you have the right stuff," Winnie mocked. Dipping her finger in the batter she sucked on the tip and glanced at the strawberry blonde. Her green eyes were focused on whisking the batter to the perfect consistancy. "This is pretty good."

"Thank you. It's my grandmother's recipe." She turned away from the island counter and pressed a few buttons on the stove. "Although your cookies can give these cupcakes a run for their money."

"Cookies, gosh," Winnie leaned against the counter and sighed. "I haven't baked since that last Christmas I was here."

"I know," Keziah muttered, "which is why I said something. I need cookies."

"What you need is to finish up." Winnie stuck her finger in the batter again and ducked to avoid Keziah's arm. "What are you guys watching?" Ignoring the daggers currently being thrown into the back of her head by her best friend, Winnie sank down in the couch next to Lucas. He draped his arm over her shoulders and kissed the top of her head.

"We were watching ESPN, then the Golf Channel, and now it's Impractical Jokers," Lucas expalined.

"It's not my fault there's nothing on."

"Nothing on? We get over 300 channels!" Keziah slammed something down on the counter. "Maybe if you didn't have the attention span of a two year old you could settle on something."

"Easy there Mufasa," Patrick laughed over his shoulder, "it's all commercials."

"I'll give you it's all commercials," she grumbled. She started pouring the batter into the cupcake holders and was halfway through the pan when someone knocked on the door again. "Patrick, sweetie, will you get that for me?"

"But I'm so comfy," he teased. Winnie didn't need to look at her friend to know smoke was rolling out of her ears.

"Get off the fucking couch and answer the door!" She tossed the bowl into the sink. "Or you can stay comfy for a few days."

"I don't know what's got your panties in a twist but you need to calm down. It was just a joke." He threw the remote on the table. Lucas glanced down at Winnie who shrugged in response. Patrick's footsteps echoed off the hardwood floor. Three seconds later the bedroom door slammed shut. Winnie could hear Patrick's voice welcoming Jon and Lindsey inside.

"I'm going to go check on her," Winnie whispered. Pushing herself off the couch she pursed her lips. Lindsey brushed by her without a word and Jonathan just nodded. She knocked lighting on the door with one hand on the knob. "Kez?"

"I just need a minute." The tightness in her voice gave away the tears running down her cheeks. Winnie let herself into the room and quitely shut the door behind her. Keziah sat on the end of the bed with a Kleenex in her fingers. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this."

"Are you kidding?" Winnie joined her on the edge of the bed and rubbed her hand along her back. "I remember the night you came bustling in here over that stupid bar fight you two had. Because someone was too eager to get into bed. I've seen you pretty much any way I can see you, reluctantly."

"I don't know what's wrong with me lately," she babbled, "these last couple of days I've just been bipolar."

"Weddings bring out the crazy in everybody." Winnie wiped a tear from her cheek. "Kaner just doesn't see when you're stressed to the max."

"But he does!" She got up from the bed. "He knows I've been in a mood and he's just going on like it's no big deal. That it's all my fault."

"You are the hormonal woman in the relationship," Winnie said with a shrug. Keziah swatted at her shoulder. "Look, it doesn't matter what's going on. Tonight you made an awesome dinner and we're going to smash those delicious cupcakes. Once we leave you and Patrick are probably going to yell a little bit more, say you're sorry, then have hot sex on every crevice of that poor couch we have been sitting on." Winnie stood up and put her hands on Keziah's shoulder. "It's just a bump in a long road called life."

"You're right." Keziah took a deep breath and nodded. Using the scrunched up Kleenex she wiped under her eyes.

"Of course I am." Winnie smiled and looped their arms together. "Now let's go take down these egotistical bastards together."

"That's my future husband you're talking about," Keziah poked her in the side.

"I was really only referencing one person in particular, but if the shoe fits." Winnie caught Keziah's hand before it connected with her head, their laughter filling the apartment. Rounding the corner they departed and Winnie positioned herself next to Lucas on the couch once more. Keziah walked over to Patrick whispering something to him and kissing him on the cheek. He gave her a narrowed gaze, his eyes moving from Keziah and Winnie skeptically.

"Dinner will be ready in about five minutes. I'm just going to throw in the cupcakes." Keziah shuffled into the kitchen area.

"What did you do to my fiance?" Patrick half whispered, half growled. Winnie stuck out her buttom lip and shrugged. "You did something to her."

"I did nothing to her." Winnie fixated on the television. Three seconds later something pinched her arm. "What the hell!"

"Tell me what you did to her."

"You're just going to sit here and let this happen, aren't you?" Winnie glared at an unsuspecting Lucas.

"This is your fight, not mine." Patrick pinched her arm again and she dove over Lucas' lap to punch him in the stomach.

"Why do you think I did something to her?" Winnie stayed sprawled out on Lucas' lap. He grit his teeth and took a deep breath through his nose.

"Because she just apologized for being a hormonal woman and said she'll make it up to me later." He smacked her hand away from his sides.

"And that's a bad thing why?"

"She never openly apologizes. We usually bicker, taunt one another, have hot sex, and call it a night."

"Maybe she's growing up."

"Ha!" Lucas and Patrick blurted at the same time.

"You're all idiots," Jonathan said from the table.

"Don't hate, appreciate." Patrick gestured to himself and Winnie took the chance to pinch his nipple. "Son of a bitch!" He lurched forward but Winnie suddenly jumped back, using Lucas' arm as a shield.

"Protect me." Winnie batted her lashes at Lucas who sighed. Patrick made a move across the couch and was blocked.

"Whose side are you on?"

"My girlfriend's," Lucas answered simply. Winnie beamed over his arm at Patrick who scoffed.

"Traitor."

"You are all disgustingly annoying," Lindsey huffed rolling her eyes. Keziah came out of the kitchen holding a piping hot pan of food.

"Dinner's ready."

"Can I borrow that wooden spoon?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I bet I fooled a lot of you with that dream!!

It will come!

A.