Wild Things

Youth

Age 5/6

Leighton made an attempt to cover his face by placing his arm over his eyes, as he felt eyes staring at him. It was the little girl who his father introduced him to awhile ago. His parents told him to be nice to her, which was a little hard to do when all this girl did was look at him like this wasn’t his house. Not too long ago his parents and the woman who looked like a grownup version of the girl left them him in his playroom. Getting fed up with her staring, he turned towards the door ready to leave and find his parents.

“Where are you going?” Her voice stopped him in his tracks. He turned to look her. This was the first time he actually looked at her. He noticed she hair was in two curly puff balls on top of her head, which made her head look bigger than it should be. She looked at him with wide eyes.

“I’m leaving-” He tried to leave again.

“You can’t leave me here!” She shouted, this time getting up from chair she was sitting and catching his arm. He shook his arm out of her hold and looked down at her with furrowed blond eyebrows. “And why can’t I? You’re not the boss of me.”

“Fine, leave then, I don’t care.” He watched her fold her arms across her chest and turn away from him. He didn’t really care what she did, so he took that as his opportunity to finally get away from her. That was until her heard her mumble something under her breath. “Stupid.”

He snapped. Next thing he knew she was sitting on the ground with blood going down her mouth and his parents rushing in the room. She didn’t cry, she didn’t even scream. Which confused him since she was bleeding All she did was frown at him. But he did get into so much trouble that night.

Five Years Later

Maxine gently opened the window that belonged to Leighton’s bedroom, careful to make as little noise as possible. It was always hard enough climbing up to his window, since he lived in a freaking mansion. After making it safely inside she closed his window and made her way to his bed where she saw him lying stiffly with his eyes closed. Maxine couldn’t help but smirk to herself. She took ahold of the cover and ripped them away from the bed.

“Hey!” Leighton jumped up, with shock written all over his face.

She rushed to his side and put her hand over his mouth to shut him up. “Be quiet.” She whispered. Once she was sure that no one was coming to his room and that he wouldn’t yell again., she took her hand away and walked to his closet.

“What are you doing M.J., it’s super late?” As if that was even a question. This had to be what, the 10th time she broke into his room. She would always come to him with some ridiculous “adventure” and kidnap. He was hoping this wasn’t one of those times.

She returned from the closet with a jacket and a pair of shoes in her hands. “There’s something I want to show you, it’s a surprise.” She said as she placed the things in his hands. She smiled at him when he looked at his hands and back up to her.

“No M.J..” Leighton placed his stuff on his bed, firmly making up his mind. But he saw her frown and he cringed. He hated when he frowned. “I don’t want to get in trouble. I can’t keep sneaking out with you, we’re only ten and eleven years old.” He whined quietly.

At first she just narrowed her hazel eyes at him for a minute but then she sighed and shrugged her shoulders. “Fine.” She spun around and made her way to his window. Now it was his turn to narrow his eyes at her. “If you wanna be such a baby about it and a scaredy cat, I’ll just go by myself.” Then she was gone and didn’t even look back. He stared at the window, then at his clothes, back to the window, and to his clothes again. How he let a ten year old girl talk him into sneaking out almost every night, he has no idea. He thought to himself as he slipped his shoes on.

Three Years Later

“Hey, L.J.!” Max waved to her best friend who was waiting at the end of the stairs of their middle school. “Thanks for waiting for us, you ready?” She mentioned to their other friends, Teagan and Jet, as they finally made it to them.

Leighton looked at them wanting to say something but couldn’t really get it out. He opened his mouth but got cut off by someone. “Leighton!” They all looked behind them to see Penelope Gibson and a few of her friends walking towards them. What does she want? Max thought to herself. They weren’t the best of friends.

“Are you ready to walk home?” Penelope asked looking at Leighton and basically ignoring the rest of them as if they weren’t there. That is until she looked at them. “Oh, Mattie right?” Of course she would get her name wrong. They haven’t gone to the same school for five years.

“Maxine.”Max said with clenched teeth. “And he’s not walking home with you because he’s already walking with us, right Leighton?” Silence. “Leighton?”

“Actually,” He rubbed the back of his neck, something he did when he was nervous. “I’m gonna walk home with them today.” Well that was new. They tried not to take it personally or showed that it bothered them.

Jet was the first one to break the awkwardness. “Well then we’ll walk too.” They begin to agree, since Max was a big enough person to be in the same presence of Penelope

“No It’s okay, I’ll just see you guys tomorrow.” And just like that Leighton was walking away from them. Laughing and smiling as if he didn’t just ditch them for people that weren’t his friends, let alone his best friend. Now, they were taking it personal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Youth

If anyone could make another layout for me, that would be great, thank you!