Tennessee Rose

Cause I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid

Gunner

After the set, we walk off and there stands Presley with a smirk on her lips. Brett and Daniels gives her a kiss on the cheek before rushing off to the bar, leaving me there with the girl that inspired so many of our songs.

“So I’m an act of God, huh?” She chuckles.

“Who said the song was about you?” I question her with a smirk of my own forming on my lips.

“You also called me a fraud, that kind of gave it away.” She smiles. “It’s an awesome song, truly. I really missed watching you perform like this. I’m also really thankful that you guys stepped in to be my opening act, I should have asked you guys in the first place.”

Before I can even speak, Rob comes running towards us. “Pres, time to get out there. You’re audience is waiting for you.” Presley looks at me once more before walking up to me and kissing my cheek,

“Thank you for everything..” She says before the lights fade and her backing band starts the intro to her most famous song, Better Dig Two. “Wish me luck?”

“Presley Rose never needed luck.” I smirk causing a chuckle to escape her lips before she turns and walks out onto the stage causing the crowd to start screaming her name. Pride washes over me. It’s hard to believe this star was once upon a time a small town girl trying to make it big no matter what the cost. She’s living the dream despite everything that was pushed into her path.

**

“Ok guys, we’re having fun but now it’s time to get a little serious.” She breathlessly says into the microphone after she finishes her fifth song. “Without you guys, I’d be no where. You guys stayed with me through thick and thin and all that drama my name has been drugged through the last month or so. This is a brand new song that you guys get to hear first. This is my new single, Comeback Kid..”

The band starts to play and she looks right at me as she begins the song…

”They like to kick you when you're down
They like it better when you're there on the ground
And up 'til now I've never made a sound
Hey, hey
I bet they never had a broken heart
But they sure know how to beat the hell out of one
Sometimes I think they do it just for fun
Hey, hey

But no, I'm not leaving, even though I'm bleeding
Even though this nightmare makes me wish I was dreaming
Even though I hate it, I'm gonna take it
Until I win

Cause I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid
Don't know why bad things happened, but they did
I don't think I deserve the hurt I get, but I'm made for it
It's not the end, no, it's not the end
I'm a comeback kid
Down for a minute; I'll get up again
Looks like I'm breaking, but it's just a bend; it's not over yet
Cause in the end
I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid

I'm gonna finish what I started now
You interrupted me with all your doubts
How dare you forget where I started out

But no, I'm not leaving, even though I'm bleeding
Even though this nightmare makes me wish I was dreaming
Even though I hate it, I'm gonna take it
Until I win

Cause I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid
Don't know why bad things happened, but they did
I don't think I deserve the hurt I get, but I'm made for it
It's not the end, no, it's not the end
I'm a comeback kid
Down for a minute; I'll get up again
Looks like I'm breaking, but it's just a bend; it's not over yet
Cause in the end
I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid, uh-huh

I believe in what I am; I believe in what I was
I believe in losing you, I've never been given so much
I believe it's been a year, the worst one I've ever lived
I believe I'm better now than I have ever been
I believe that ever since everything went south
I believed in every word that ever came out of my mouth
I believe you missed me, but you don't have to miss me, cause
I'm not leaving again

Cause I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid
Down for a minute; I'll get up again
Looks like I'm breaking, but it's just a bend; it's not over yet
Cause in the end
Yeah, I'm a comeback, I'm a comeback kid
I'm not leaving, I'm not leaving
Not leaving again, I'm not leaving
Not leaving again, I'm not leaving

I'll save you a spot at my big parade
You're all invited on my comeback day
I'll serve you ice cream and lemonade
Hey, hey.."


The whole bar, myself include, screams out in excitement as we applause. I look at Presley and her eyes are tearing up as she smiles. She’s happy, truly happy. This moment in time makes up for everything she’s been through these last couple weeks. She’s through doubting herself.

“Thank you!” She screams into the microphone. “You guys are amazing. So how about we put a few songs into their graves tonight, huh? This next one is FriendZone.”

**

After the show ended, Jesse kicked out a few of the regulars and closed the bar down early as we celebrate a very successful last second concert and Presley comeback. Sutton and Jimmy are dancing to Hell of a Night by Dustin Lynch while the rest of Presley entourage is drinking at the bar with Jesse and his sons. This leaves Presley and I alone drinking in the VIP section of the bar. A pleasant silence dances around us, allowing me to finally get a good look at the girl I once upon a time loved. Compared to the first concert, she looks so different. She’s not glammed out. Her hair isn’t done a fancy way and her makeup is simple. She’s dressed just like how she dressed back in the day. It’s amazing how a soul sucking contract can affect someone.

“You’re staring.” Presley notes, snapping me from my trance. “You know how I feel about being stared at.”

“I know you think it’s creepy.” I chuckle. “You yelled at me about it every day of our relationship. Even back then it was hard not to stare. You’re gorgeous and talented and I always wondered what you saw in me.”

“You were the first guy in Nashville, aside from Jesse, that didn’t treat me like a piece of meat.” She tells me. “You’re kind and sweet and I didn’t deserve you. And you didn’t deserve anything I ever did to you in the end. You didn’t deserve to be left in the dust and now I know how much I fucked everything up.”

“What do you think would have happened if you stayed in Nashville?” I ask her.

“I spent everyday for the last seven years wondering the same thing.” She chuckles. “I’ve always wondered if my life would have been better if I stayed. Back then I just wanted to make a name for myself. I didn’t want to be a small town girl like my momma. I wanted to follow my dreams no matter the cost. Then I met you and you changed everything I ever dreamed for. It actually scared me to death. I changed dreams of stardom to dreams of a family.”

“Is that why you left without a goodbye?” I question.

“I knew if I stayed to say goodbye, just one look into your eyes would make me change my mind.” She replies. “I had to make sure singing wasn’t my future. I had to fail that dream before I could start another dream.”

“But you didn’t fail. You’re a fucking rockstar.” I laugh.

“But I did find my way home after all these years.” I point out. “Just a couple years too late.”

“It’s never too late.” I tell her as I get up off the couch. “Just remember that….”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title and lyric credit: Comback Kid by The Band Perry

This story will always have a special place in my heart. And on November 15th this story turned a year old! My baby is growing up.

So what do you think is going to happen between Gunner and Presley? And what you do you think he meant by "It's never too late"? Let me know!