Tennessee Rose

Don't you ever say I just walked away, I will always want you

Gunner; Seven Years Previous

Oak Barrel, the last bar on the list of bars hiring a new bartender. I take a deep breath before walking in. I need to land this job or it’s back to Georgia I go. That also means going back to college and honestly; I don’t want to go back to my Marketing major.

Upon entering the bar, my ears are instantly met with the sound of Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me and my eyes fall upon a couple girls, dancing on the bar, and two more standing behind it pouring shots as the others sway their hips and dip low. It’s like walking into a scene from Coyote Ugly.

As soon as the song ends, the girls on the bar jump off and most of the guys at the bar end up going to tables with their friends. Sitting down, I catch the attention of the tiny brunette wearing a Jack Daniels tank top and tight cut off shorts.

“What can I get you?” She asks, smacking her gum obnoxiously.

“Is the owner here?” I ask her. “I’m here to fill out an application for the new bartender position.”

“Jesse is out of town for the rest of the week,” she replies. “But he left his head bartender in charge.” There is bitterness in her voice; like she was jealous. “I can get her if you want.”

“That would be amazing, thank you.” I smile earning nothing but a glare from the girl as she walks off towards the stage to grab the blonde female that was talking to the band that was setting up.

I watch as she excuses herself and walks over towards me, on my side of the bar, with a smile on her lips. She couldn’t be any older than me, in fact she looks younger; like she is barely legal to drink or even know who the band she’s wearing even is.

“Hey, I’m Presley,” she introduces herself. “I’m sorry that you missed Jesse. Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Presley huh?” I chuckle. “Parents Elvis fans?”

“You have no idea,” she laughs.

“You think you get get me a job here?” I ask sheepishly. “I really need it. I can’t move back home as a failure. My parents won’t let me live it down.”

“Moved here to follow your dream of becoming this big musician?” She asks, earning a nod from me. “I can relate. I did the same thing 2 years ago. So can you mix a drink?”

“I’ve been bartending since I was 18,” I reply. “I know my way around a bar better than most people.”

She looks me over, biting her lip in thought before she pulls out her cell phone and snaps a picture of me; her flash blinding me a bit.

“Jesse trusts me enough to pick the perfect person,” she starts. “And I just sent him the picture of our newest bartender. You start tomorrow. All I need is your name and where you’re staying.”

“Thank you so much,” I smile, feeling so relieved that I found a job. “I’m Gunner and I’m currently saying at the motel down the road. That’s until I find a better, more permanent living arrangement. But are you seriously giving me the job on the spot?”

“Yep.” She simply says with a smile.

“Why be so nice?”

“I was in your position.” She replies. “I’d be back home if Jesse didn’t give me a chance. I’d hate to see that happen to you. So welcome aboard Gunner. Can’t wait to see what you can do.”

Before I can say thank you again, she disappears off to watch the Bon Jovi cover band do their thing.Maybe this place won’t be so bad. Good music, booze and a lot of pretty girls; the perfect amount of inspiration I need to write songs and jumpstart my career…


Gunner; Now

I walk over to Sutton and even though it’s been a minute since Presley was here, you can still smell her vanilla perfume she always wears. I guess some things never change I think to myself.

“What did she want?” I ask Sutton as I sit down.

“Presley has a concert here tomorrow and she gave me VIP passes so me and five other people can see her.” She replies.

“Does she really think VIP passes can make up for ditching everyone for seven years?” I spit, rolling my eyes. “Please tell me you denied those tickets.”

“Presley hurt me as much as she hurt you, Gunner,” Sutton frowns, “but I’m not going to let what she did to us years ago change the fact she’s an amazing singer. I promised her I’d always support her and I’m going to keep my word.”

“She’s not the girl you used to be friends with.” I remind her. “She sold out for fame and fortune.”

“Come to the concert, Gunner. It’ll be good for you. You can finally let go of the girl you once loved.”

“You may still support her, but I don’t. She’ll never get my support again…” I turn around and walk away, despite Sutton calling out for me. I push pass all my bandmates and decide to walk all the way to my apartment; the apartment both Presley and I shared together.

When I get here, I see the silhouette of a tiny girl. I roll my eyes when I get close enough to see who it is.

“What are you doing here?” I ask, crossing my arms across my chest. “I’m surprised you even found your way back here. I figured this would be the last place you would want to visit on your journey to world domination.”

“I know there are no amount of “sorrys” I can say that’ll make what I did any better,” the blonde in front of me starts, “but I am so sorry, Gunner. I never meant to hurt you the way I did. I just had to leave. Nashville wasn’t taking me anywhere I dreamed I’d go.”

“So despite all the things you ever told me, I was never part of your dream.” I scoff. “Really Presley? Is that why you left? Because I wasn’t good enough for you.”

“I never said that Gunner.” There is a mixture of angry and hurt in her voice. “I loved you more than anything. I just didn’t want to continue on the path I was going on. I wanted to live my dream before I settled down. I didn’t want to resent my kids like my momma resented me and my brothers. I didn’t want to hate you like my momma hates my daddy. That’s why I left. I left before I could turn into my mother.”

“Bullshit Presley!” I yell. “This is just the excuse you tell yourself so you can sleep better at night. You left because you got offered something better.”

“I’m sorry that a record deal was something better!” She yells, tears flowing from her eyes. “I’ve wanted to come back so many times. I called you for months and you ignored my calls. I tried to make things better for us. You were the one that pushed me away.”

“You should have stayed gone,” I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. “Sutton, Jesse and I are better off without you. Sutton just doesn’t realize it yet.”

“You’re probably right,” a humorless chuckle escapes her lips. “Coming here was a mistake. Goodbye, Gunner.” With that she turns around and starts to walk off but stops and turns around to look at me, “remember you supported you throughout the years. Because deep down, you know I’m that same girl.”

“Just go Country Barbie,” I tell her before turning around and head inside the apartment we once called home together. I slam the door shut and toss my keys on the coffee table. Seven years and she still manages to get under my skin...
♠ ♠ ♠
Presley; Flashback

anyone want to be a character? Looking for members of Presley's backing band as well as members of Gunner's band. message me if you are interested!

comment&subscribe?