Invincible

One

I Said Don't Do It Babe
Said It Ain't Worth It Babe
But You Did It Anyway
Four Or Five Drinks And You Were On Your Way


“Please don’t go!” I pleaded as I followed my best friend towards the front door.

“Don’t worry baby, I’ll be fine,” he smiled whilst opening the door. He kissed me on the forehead and then walked out.

I stood in there doorway staring at him until he got in his car and drove away. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen. Sighing, I stepped back into the house and closed the door.

September 1st, 2003
It Took The Life Right Out Of Me
Hung Up The Phone
Raced Out The Door
Broken
Tried To Believe That It Wasn't True
But In My Heart I Always Knew
That Being The Life Of The Party Would Catch Up To You
Your Family Was Waiting And Crying For Three Damn Hours


It was an hour after Gerard had left. I kept tossing and turning in my sleep. I woke up when my cellphone started ringing. I picked it up. My heart dropped and I could feel the color drain from my face when I recognized the number. It was Mikey, Gerard’s brother. It was then I know something terrible had happened. With shaky hands, I flipped my phone open and put it to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Lucy?” I head Mikey sobbing. Oh God!

“What’s wrong?!” I question panicking.

“Gerard…he hit a tree on his way home,” Mikey answered once his sobbing ceased. I felt tears form in my eyes, but I forced them not to fall.

“How is he?” I was afraid of the answer, but I knew I had to ask.

“Not good…you need to come down to the hospital now!” He exclaimed before hanging up.

The next twenty minutes were a blur. I vaguely remember throwing on a pair of jeans and a hoddie. Then sprinting out the house to my car. I shoved the key into the ignition and turned it. Before starting to drive, I forced myself to calm down. Once I was calm…er, I backed out the driveway and started driving to the hospital.

I took the first parking spot I saw in the crowded hospitals parking lot and ran into the house. I headed straight for the waiting room. I instantly stopped when I saw Mikey crying onto his wife’s shoulder and Donna, Gerard’s mother, being comforted by her husband. I felt the small amount of hope that he’d be okay dissolve. It was Donna who first saw me. She wiped her eyes as she stood up and walked towards me. She pulled me into a hug and I started crying uncontrollably.

I Said Don't Do It Babe
Said It Ain't Worth It Babe
But You Did It Anyway
Four Or Five Drinks And You Were On Your Way
Everything's Cool On The Straight Away
But You Took That Turn Doing Eighty-five In A Thirty-five
Why Babe?


It was my fault that Gerard drove drunk. It was my fault that he was speeding and hit a tree after making a sharp turn. It was my fault that he was in the operating room fighting for his life. I could have prevented this. I didn’t have to let him live. I could have tried harder. I could have pointed out the consequences of him driving under the influence. I should have told him if he really cared about me, he’d stay the night. But I didn’t. And he’s on the verge of death because of me.

Every Time I'm Home I Pass That Road
Driving Alone And The Street Feels Cold
Seeing Your Face Yeah It's Haunting Me
My Mind Goes Crazy Tryin' To Figure Out
Just Where You Would Be Four Years From Now
And What You Were Thinking When The Lights Came Down
Doctors Were Trying To Save You For Three Damn Hours


Gerard died two hours after I arrived at the hospital. The doctors tried to save him for three fucking hours. At first I blamed them for his death. They should have tried harder! But then I realized I’m the only one to blame. Mikey and all my other friends keep telling me it was his fault. That he knew better. I knew he knew that. I just can’t blame him. Why? I’m not exactly sure. I guess because I love him too much. I never told him that I love him. I was so sure he wouldn’t feel the same. Now I keep wondering ‘what it.’

What if I told him? What if he survived? Where would be now, four years later? What if he didn’t drink then drive? I hate wondering ‘what if’.

Who Ever Said That Life Was Fair
When You Live Without A Care
When You're Invincible
When You're Invincible
When You're Invincible
Who Thinks About Leaving When You're Livin'


He thought he was invincible. That’s why he did it. He thought nothing would happen. Didn’t he realize that driving drunk is just a potentially deadly game of Russian Roulette? He didn’t care either. He didn’t care about dying. He was just focusing on living and having fun. Didn’t he realize that he could have fun without killing himself?

Obviously nothing matters when you’re invincible