Heal Me

Chapter One: The Meeting

The young dark haired girl walked into the café and sat down at her usual table in the corner. She stared out the window at the darkness with black tears streaming down her naturally pale face. Her parents were arguing…again. And as always, it was about her. Her parents rarely agree on anything, but they do agree she needs help. According to them, she’s recently shown signs of depression and suicidal tendencies. She gave a small bitter laugh. Recently? They should see her arms marred with scars. It wasn’t recently they started seeing signs, it was recently they started to care. Not even care. They just want to feel like they’re good parents. HA! If they were good parents she wouldn’t be sitting at a nearly empty café at midnight in a town known for murders, rapes and God knows what else. If they were good parents she wouldn’t feel like she’d be better off dead. And sometimes she wishes she were. A part of her wants to kill herself. No one would notice. Not her so called “friends” or parents. To be honest, her parents would probably be happy. Happy they don’t have to deal with a “mistake” as her father often calls her. So why doesn’t she just kill herself? Honestly, a small part of is hoping things will get better. Sometimes though, she seriously doubts it. Like right now.

“Can I help you?”

She turned her head and looked at the waiter. He was staring at her. She just bit her lip as she shook her head and went back to staring out the window. She’s like darkness. People can see her, but not who she truly is. People see a happy, caring person. They don’t see her. The scars on the inside are sometimes more painful than the ones on the surface.

“Are you okay?”

She was about to force a smile and say yes. But than decided not to. She didn’t care anymore. No one was worth this much pain. Instead, she stared down at the table and just sadly shook her head. She wasn’t okay. She’d probably never be okay. A noise caused her head to jerk up. It was than she realized the waiter sat down at the table across from her. She looked around the café and noticed she was the only customer.

“Cambria,” Her voice softly whispered when the waiter asked her, her name. He smiled and stuck his hand out across the table.

“Gerard.” His smooth silky voice sent chills down her spine. Hesitantly, she grabbed his hand and shook it. “What are you doing here at twelve o’clock at night?”

“Escaping,” She simply replied, staring him directly in the eyes. He nodded. The more she stared at him, the more she felt drawn to him.

“What are you escaping from?”

“Everything,” Cambria sighed.

“Care to elaborate?”

“It’s nothing.” At that, Gerard raised his eyebrow.

“Nothing?” He sounded incredulous. “If it were nothing, you wouldn’t be here.” He had a point there.

“Just family stuff,” She said with a slight shrug.

“Anything I can help you?”

“No,” She smiled weakly at him. He just stared back at her and Cambria began to feel like she was under a microscope. As though Gerard were trying to find her flaws, which wouldn’t be hard to do since all she has are flaws.

“You’re beautiful.” When he said that, Cambria’s eyes widen and she shook her head fiercely.

“That’s a lie.”

“You’re right.” He said sincerely. Cambria felt her heart shatter. And she was really hoping he meant that. “You’re gorgeous.” Blood rushed to Cambria’s cheeks and she tore her gaze away from Gerard.

Her eyes landed on the clock hanging on the wall behind the counter. She sighed and stood up.

“I should go.” She started walking towards the door, but stopped when Gerard called her name. She slowly turned around and gasped when she realized how close Gerard was standing next to her. He was so close that when he spoke that his breath caused her skin to tingle.

“Come here tomorrow around ten.” It was more of a demand than question. He turned and walked away. Cambria just stood there dumbfounded.

As she walked out, she got the feeling that she wasn’t the same person she was when she first came in. It was as though Gerard helped her change…for better or worse, she didn’t know yet. When she got home, she quietly snuck up the stairs and than tip-toed down the hallway to her room. Exhausted, she dropped onto her bed. She didn’t even bother turning on the light since the moon shining in through the window provided her enough light to see. She closed her eyes and was instantly asleep.