Broken Silence

Chapter Eleven

As Malina cleaned Kane up, the only thing she could think about was his poor sister. He was doing all this to help save her from an institution she didn’t belong in, and still, his plan was flawed. Who knew where Camille would be by the time he came up with the money he needed? He’d gone silent as she tightly bandaged his wounds. She wasn’t sure she wanted to talk. Especially after he told her that he still intended on fighting. Her hands shook slightly as she worked. Kane sighed, speaking softly.

“Malina, I-”

It’s not fair!” Malina shouted, startling both him and herself when she shot up to her feet.

“What isn’t fair?” Kane frowned.

“Nothing!” Malina whined, plopping down beside him on the edge of the bed. “Nothing is fair! I thought you were fighting for the money, or the women. You’re just so....”

“So what?” Kane asked.

“Never mind,” Malina huffed, frustrated.

She blew her bangs out of her eyes, thinking for a moment before laughing nervously.

“You’re getting your sister back,” she announced.

“Come again?”

Malina bit her lip, turning on her heel to face him.

“I haven’t been completely honest with you,” she admitted. “I’m not from The Smokes. My father was, many years ago, but I live quite a different life than he did. He can help you.”

“Mouse, I’m afraid I don’t understand,” Kane sighed, reaching out to take her hand and squeeze it gently. “Take a deep breath. Slow down.”

“You need money,” Malina told him. “I have- Well, my family has money. My mother will trust any friend of mine, but all you have to do is convince my father. I’m sure he’ll understand your situation. Kane, you don’t have to fight.”

“I can’t just come ask your mother and father for money,” Kane said.

“I’m the one asking for money,” Malina assured him. “You just have to show him that you mean well. Kane, I don’t want you to fight anymore.”

“Why do you care so much?” he asked slowly, amusement in his eyes.

Malina felt her cheeks turn red and looked down at her feet, shrugging. “I just don’t want you to fight anymore. And I don’t want your sister to be in that horrible place, lunatic or not.”

Kane tilted her head up so she’d look at him, then placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“I will find a way to repay you for your kindness,” he told her.

“No need,” she said, blushing hard. “Just join us for dinner tonight. Be yourself, and I promise he’ll help.”

“Alright,” he sighed. “However, do you really think these clothes are good enough for a nice dinner? Give me a day or two. I”ll find the money to buy myself something new.”

Malina frowned, realizing that his ragged clothes wouldn’t do. She gestured for him to stand up, then looked him up and down. He may have been just barely tall enough, but he would fit.

“Stay here,” she told him. “I’ll be back. Don’t strain yourself.”

Before Kane could say anything else, she bolted out the door, hurrying home as quickly as she could. At this time of day, her parents would most likely still have been in the lab, and wouldn’t ask her too many questions. She hurried up the stairs to the room at the very end of the hall, not bothering to knock before letting herself in. Owen jumped in surprise where he sat at the desk, scrambling to tuck all of the loose papers he’d been writing on back into his notebook.

When he realized it was just Malina, he sighed in relief and tucked the notebook into his drawer, brushing his black hair back into place and leaning back in the chair with his eyes closed as he tried to regain his composure.

“What were you writing?” Malina asked curiously.

“Nothing,” he grumbled. “Just various exercises. Don’t you know how to knock?”

“Sorry for scaring you,” Malina said. “I need your clothes.”

“What for?” Owen asked.

“Just give it to me,” Malina demanded.

Owen raised a brow at her, but slowly stood up from his seat and walked to the closet, where all of his clothes had been neatly organized by color. Owen had always been the neatest one out of all of them. His tiny home was immaculate, and if you were to track mud on his clean wooden floors, he’d cringe.

“What do you need?” he asked.

“Give me an entire outfit,” she said. “Nothing too flashy. Casual.”

Owen shook his head and picked out some clothes, careful to match the colors nicely. Malina grabbed a pair of shoes before he handed the clothes to her, but he stopped her.

“Who is this for?” he asked.

“A friend,” she said. “You won’t miss them. I’ll buy you something new, I promise.”

“You better,” Owen grumbled. “Now get out. I was feeling inspired until you let yourself in here.”

“Thank you, Owen,” she grinned as he ushered her out the door.

She gave her older brother kiss on the cheek before hurrying back to the inn, where Kane was still sitting on the bed, just like she’d asked. He looked up from playing with his bandage and raised an eyebrow at the clothes in Malina’s arms.

“Where did you get that?” he asked.

“Don’t worry about it,” she said. “Just try it on. Please?”

Kane looked skeptical, but did as she asked, emerging from the washroom in less time than Malina expected. For a man who spent most of his time on the streets with gutter rats, he certainly knew what he was doing as he straightened his tie and the collar of his shirt. The clothes fit him just right. Owen was just slightly taller, but it was barely noticeable. Even the shoes fit.

“You and Owen are just about the same size,” Malina laughed, checking the length of his sleeves.

“Owen?” Kane asked.

“Yes, he’s my brother,” Malina explained.

“Isaac is your brother as well, correct?”

“Yes,” Malina said slowly.

“Two older brothers,” Kane chuckled. “Your home must have been quite exciting growing up.”

“Right. Two older brothers,” Malina said with a nervous laugh.

She stayed with him a little while longer before finally going home to let her family know she was having a guest over for dinner. She wrote down the address for him in neat writing, then left, hurrying home again. On her way to find her father, she nearly ran straight into Max, who was bundled up in a blanket and shuffling around the house like he’d just woken up. Knowing him, that was probably exactly the case.

“Father is in the library,” Max yawned.

“How did you know I was looking for him?” Malina frowned.

“You have that look in your eyes,” Max shrugged lazily. “The one you get when you want something. Don’t worry, I’m sure ‘daddy’s little angel’ will get whatever she wants, per usual. Though I warn you, he is quite a mood right now.”

Max reached out to flick Malina’s nose, clearly a little bit bitter about things. She swatted his hand away.

“Why is he upset this time?” she asked.

“Well, I turned down an opportunity to work for the shoemaker,” he smirked. “As if I’d waste my time shining shoes. Of course, he was already angry when he found out. Scamp was- Well, you’ll see for yourself.”

He gave her a sly wink as he walked away, and Malina hesitantly made her way to the library. When her father was angry, he yelled until he face turned red. When he was absolutely furious, he acted very calm and spoke at a normal tone, but his eyes were terrifying enough to scare a person anyways. Malina wasn’t sure she’d ever seen him this way, as he stared Scamp down and talked to him in a hushed tone.

“Did you really think it was a good idea, Dudley?” Percy said through clenched teeth. “You’re not a child anymore. You can’t do things like this.”

Scamp sheepishly kept his head down like a little boy caught with his hand in a cookie jar.

“No one was supposed to find out,” he mumbled.

Three girls,” Percy snapped. “At the same time? Of course they were going to find out! Aside from what you’ve done to our family’s reputation, think of what you’ve done to them.”

Scamp noticed Malina out of the corner of his eye, and looked almost relieved. He weaved past their father and right out the door. Percy bowed his head with a deep sigh as Malina slowly approached him and touched his shoulder.

“Daddy, what was that about?” she asked.

“Scamp is just causing trouble again,” he grumbled. “What is it?”

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m having a guest over for supper,” she said slowly. “A friend of mine.”

“Fine, fine,” he said, straightening his tie. “Which friend?”

“Well, you haven’t met this friend yet,” Malina said, shifting awkwardly. “His name is Kane, and he-”

“He?” Percy asked, looking up suddenly. “It’s a boy?”

“Technically, yes, he does have the male anatomy,” Malina said quickly. “He’s just a friend. Promise you’ll be nice?”

“Lina, I-”

“Daddy, promise?”

Percy sighed again and shook his head, smoothing his hair back. He looked calm, but there was a hard look in his eye that Malina didn’t feel so confident about.

“I promise.”