Broken Silence

Chapter Fourteen

Kane sat in a chair in front of a large mahogany desk in the Everett's study. Mr. Everett stood before him with his arms crossed as he studied Kane with a state that was hard to read. Kane suspected the man was waiting for him to squirm.

"Do I pass the inspection?" he asked. Mr. Everett pursed his lips.

"That remains to be seen," he said. "I grew up in The Smokes, you know. I know all about what sort of place it is and what sort of people inhabit it." He paused, seeming to consider his next words. "I'm going to tell you something, Kane. Something none of my own children even know about me. When I met Emily, she was a hostage on a pirate ship."

Kane's eyebrows shot up. "A pirate ship," he repeated. "I'm going to assume you weren't a hostage as well."

"No. I was part of the crew. First Mate, in fact. I joined up when I was fourteen. I did not lead an exemplary life before I met my wife. There was a lot of violence in my line of work. My hands are far from clean."

Kane leaned back in his seat slightly, taking this in. It was rather funny when he thought about it. Mr. Everett lived in a beautiful house, with a respectable job and a charming wife. But he had come from an impoverished place like The Smokes and was a pirate in his younger years. And here was Kane, who, as far as the Everetts knew, was nothing but a shifty thug when in actuality had a grand estate back home and had had the finest of everything growing up. It was true what they said; you can't judge a book by its cover.

"Are you telling me this by way of warning?" Kane asked, pushing his amusement about secret pasts aside.

"I am telling you this because I don't want Malina to know. I certainly don't want her to know from a stranger. People around here know better than to bother her or make mention of my life before I returned to London. Most people didn't know where I went when I left anyway, and I didn't broadcast my time as a pirate when I came back. But beyond London, there are people who would know my name. Would know about who I was. I'm hoping you will keep this quiet from Malina and also help keep her identity as discreet as possible. Not everyone who knows my name is a friend to me, and they certainly wouldn't be friends to my daughter."

"Mr. Everett, I know you have no reason to trust me. But I have no intention of letting anything happen to Malina. If anyone tries to lay a finger on her they'll lose it. Sir," he added. He thought for just a moment that Mr. Everett was holding back a smile; there was a slight thawing in his cold stare. But then he just nodded curtly.

"That had better be the case," he said. "Now go away."

Kane chucked quietly as he stood and made for the door. "Nice to meet you too, sir."

He was surprised when Malina handed him a small package wrapped in a brown paper bag.

"It's from Lionel," she explained. "Isaac brought it and almost forgot to give it to you."

"Ah yes. My requested lock picks," Kane said.

"He also said something about a gun," Isaac said. "It sends out a strong pulse instead of bullets, so you can incapacitate people quietly and inconspicuously if you're spotted."

"Fascinating." Kane peered into the package with interest.

"Figured you'd just punch them," Owen remarked dryly. Kane shrugged.

"If I need to. I'm not adverse to it."

"You better take care of Malina," Scamp warned him, eyes narrowed. "Don't get her into any trouble you can't get her out of."

"All right we're going now," Malina said, grabbing Kane's arm and steering him away from her brothers. Her determined steps began to slow as they drew nearer to the docks, and Kane noticed her biting her lip nervously.

"Are you all right?" he asked. She managed a weak smile.

"I'm...I'm not so good with boats. Well actually, technically, I'm not so good with water," she admitted sheepishly. "Is that completely stupid?"

"Of course not," Kane assured her. "Cami is afraid of small, cramped spaces. Fear isn't something to be ashamed of."

"You're not afraid of anything."

Kane smiled, linking his fingers with hers. "Trust me, I am," he said quietly. He found the ship Mr. Everett had told him to look for; a sleek, fairly modern affair that could skim the water at high speeds. It would get them up the English coast to where Blackbird was in no time at all. Much faster than traveling by carriage. Kane let Malina do the talking, and tell the ship's captain that she was Malina Everett and her father had sent her to request passage onboard. The man was quick to tip his hat and oblige.

This must be that notorious reputation of Mr. Everett's at work. Malina gripped Kane's hand like a vice as they ascended the ramp onto the ship's deck, her eyes glued straight ahead and never once glancing down at the water. The two of them settled into a small but clean and well-furnished guest cabin. Kane frowned slightly when he saw there was only one bed. No matter. He could make do on the floor easily enough. Malina sat perched on the edge of the bed, gripping her skirt tightly in her fists. Her eyes locked on the small window, through which they could see the open expanse of water.

Kane quickly moved to the window and drew the curtain closed before going to sit beside her. She shot him a grateful smile.

"I'm sorry," she said. She let out a small yelp as the ship lurched, heading away from the docks and out to sea. Kane wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her against his side.

"You grew up with five brothers," he said. "That must have been quite the adventure. Tell me about them."

Malina started to relax a little as she talked, laughing as she described her brother's antics to him. Kane listened patiently and held her hands, tracing small circles on her skin with his thumbs. Eventually Malina's voice slowed as she began to nod off with her head resting against his shoulder. Kane chuckled softly, easing gently away to lean her back onto the pillows.

"You should try to get some sleep," he told her. She made a nonsensically "mmph" sound but she sat up with a slight frown as Kane stood and took a pillow to throw down on the floor.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Making my bed."

"But there's a perfectly good bed right here," she pointed out.

"Yes, but you're sleeping in that bed."

"Kane, you don't need to sleep on the floor."

"Well I'm certainly not going to have you sleep on the floor."

"The thing is, I'm worried I'll have nightmares, being on a ship and all. I think I'd feel much safer if I wasn't in this giant bed all alone."

Kane paused and studied her. She stared innocently back at him even though her cheeks were pink.

"Are you sure?" he asked her. She nodded slowly. Kane removed his shoes and coat before sitting on the bed again. Malina tugged the blanket up over herself and Kane laid down, trying to keep a respectable distance between them so he didn't make her feel uncomfortable. After a few moments of consideration he sat up and scooted closer to her, just long enough to plant a quick, feather light kiss on her lips.

"You don't need to be afraid," he told her. "I'll be right here if you need me."

He flashed her a smile before moving back to his side of the bed and falling asleep.